Ideas for improving airflow in this case?

R.wilko31

I made my first build a while back as a bit of a joke when the old family pc died, and the thing runs great and I've never had any problems due to temps but it does run a bit hot. I would just add some fans but there is only one place to install a fan and it is already in use (Noctua NF-R8 Redux PWM). 

I had the idea of maybe adding a fan to the front of the case and cutting some holes in the weird fake vents at the front for an intake but I'm not too keen on modding the case.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to improve temps. without replacing the case since that was the whole point of the build XD.

20210627_233805.jpg

20210627_234251.jpg

20210627_234337.jpg

20210627_234408.jpg

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

add about 1+ inch feet to the bottom and add two 120mm holes with intake fans.

Bottom intake fans are usually the savior for restomod cases

Sounds like a better idea than what I had so if modding is the only way I'll probably do that thanks!

5 minutes ago, R.wilko31 said:

Sounds like a better idea than what I had so if modding is the only way I'll probably do that thanks!

@emosun is spot on, you can easily do this mod with a hole saw. A 4.5" hole saw is the exact width you'd need for most 120mm fans

20190825_141813.thumb.jpg.9468c9b0cc29914571b9ee359d7eec6e.jpg20190825_145541.thumb.jpg.9c60737dab39f5cf67a0d50077c6b8a3.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@TVwazhere@Caroline Thanks for the info! I take it there's no way to go without modding then? I'm not entirely against it but it just seems like pulling everything out would be a bit of a pain since I had to get pretty creative since there was no cable management and most things didn't fit easily. Currently my system sits at around 50° idle and maxes about 78° under load. would it be worthwhile or am I worrying too much?

2 minutes ago, R.wilko31 said:

@TVwazhere@Caroline Thanks for the info! I take it there's no way to go without modding then? I'm not entirely against it but it just seems like pulling everything out would be a bit of a pain since I had to get pretty creative since there was no cable management and most things didn't fit easily. Currently my system sits at around 50° idle and maxes about 78° under load. would it be worthwhile or am I worrying too much?

Personally? I wouldn't worry about it too much but temps would surely improve with more direct airflow. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Personally? I wouldn't worry about it too much but temps would surely improve with more direct airflow. 

In that case I'll leave it for now and add them when I upgrade since it'll probably need the extra cooling then. Thanks for your help!

You should also cut a hole for the exhaust fan. That old style fan grill is close to 40% reduction in airflow.

Just now, Jeppes said:

You should also cut a hole for the exhaust fan. That old style fan grill is close to 40% reduction in airflow.

This. I used to drill those out and put the wire frame fan grilles on everywhere as that would help with air flow quite a bit. This would keep that "sleeper" look in tact if you want to keep that. You could also add a fan to the front, screwing it to the inside so you didn't have to touch the front panel.

4 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

@JeppesThats a good point but since the back is very visible in my current setup I would be a bit more worried about messing that up If I cut it.

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

This. I used to drill those out and put the wire frame fan grilles on everywhere as that would help with air flow quite a bit. This would keep that "sleeper" look in tact if you want to keep that. You could also add a fan to the front, screwing it to the inside so you didn't have to touch the front panel.

@OhioYJ Since that also requires cutting the case I'd probably do that if I decide to add the extra fans at the bottom and I still need the extra air flow. For the fan in the front wouldn't I need to cut intake for it? There's currently no gaps on the front panel.

Just now, R.wilko31 said:

@OhioYJ Since that also requires cutting the case I'd probably do that if I decide to add the extra fans at the bottom and I still need the extra air flow. For the fan in the front wouldn't I need to cut intake for it? There's currently no gaps on the front panel.

What are the slats on the front of the case? They don't go through? Below the oval, above the USB? If they aren't cut through, I would cut them on the inside, as again, you could keep the "sleeper" look intact as it wouldn't look modified, but now the front cover could breath. I would think the slats would line up roughly with a 80mm fan?

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

What are the slats on the front of the case? They don't go through? Below the oval, above the USB? If they aren't cut through, I would cut them on the inside, as again, you could keep the "sleeper" look intact as it wouldn't look modified, but now the front cover could breath. I would think the slats would line up roughly with a 80mm fan?

Yeah the slats don't go through for some reason. I was thinking of cutting the top of them and putting a fan on the inside where the holes are but I was really hoping someone would have a miracle solution requiring no mods but I figured that wouldn't happen.

7 hours ago, Jeppes said:

na ied say 80%

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

7 hours ago, R.wilko31 said:

Yeah the slats don't go through for some reason. I was thinking of cutting the top of them and putting a fan on the inside where the holes are but I was really hoping someone would have a miracle solution requiring no mods but I figured that wouldn't happen.

it looks like you keep the side panel off? as you got a stat screen?

if so i guess it might benefit from more air flow manly the gpu i guess

i guess you can try un plugging the back fan and see if temps gos up?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

8 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

it looks like you keep the side panel off? as you got a stat screen?

if so i guess it might benefit from more air flow manly the gpu i guess

i guess you can try un plugging the back fan and see if temps gos up?

@thrasher_565 I tried it without the fan and it seems to be about the same, but CPU runs a bit hotter so I guess the fan does at least do something.

I had something similar to that once. I ended up cutting pretty much the whole front section out to make room for my AIO. It was an Antec Sonata, and I ran an X58 rig with SLi 570s. Fans were 120x38 and it worked fairly well.. got a little warm during F@H but outside of that it was useable.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I had something similar to that once. I ended up cutting pretty much the whole front section out to make room for my AIO. It was an Antec Sonata, and I ran an X58 rig with SLi 570s. Fans were 120x38 and it worked fairly well.. got a little warm during F@H but outside of that it was useable.

@freeagentTo be honest the temperatures on mine never seem to get to the point of affecting the performance at all so its perfectly usable but It just seems to be too hot under low loads, I've tried changing the fan curves but nothing seems to keep it lower than 50° apart from fans at full speed.Im starting to think cutting a space for a fan at the front might be the easiest solution.

45 minutes ago, R.wilko31 said:

@freeagentTo be honest the temperatures on mine never seem to get to the point of affecting the performance at all so its perfectly usable but It just seems to be too hot under low loads, I've tried changing the fan curves but nothing seems to keep it lower than 50° apart from fans at full speed.Im starting to think cutting a space for a fan at the front might be the easiest solution.

A little fresh air goes a long way! 🤘

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 hours ago, R.wilko31 said:

@thrasher_565 I tried it without the fan and it seems to be about the same, but CPU runs a bit hotter so I guess the fan does at least do something.

ya i would cut out the mesh then and add a 120mm in the front, add feet and put 1-2 120mm on the bottom.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i would cut out the mesh then and add a 120mm in the front, add feet and put 1-2 120mm on the bottom.

I guess that's gonna be the solution then. Probably won't be doing it any time soon since things are running ok (just hot) and its a right pain to dismantle but thanks for the suggestions!

8 hours ago, R.wilko31 said:

I guess that's gonna be the solution then. Probably won't be doing it any time soon since things are running ok (just hot) and its a right pain to dismantle but thanks for the suggestions!

np

Well I found a way to improve the temperatures. It turns out that EVGA precision x1 that I was using to tweak the fan curves has a tiny little check box to activate custom fan curves that I missed.... I feel a bit dumb but the gpu is much cooler now XD 40° is a little bit better.