How to type fast

GopherTv

I type 100 wpm on monkey type but I realized I don't use my pinkies, I only use them for like shift/enter and stuff not acctual letters. If I want to type faster is that holding my back, do I need to learn typing using proper finger placements to get faster?

keyboard finger setting for speed typing. - YouTube

10 minutes ago, GopherTv said:

If I want to type faster is that holding my back, do I need to learn typing using proper finger placements to get faster?

Physicall, maybe. Because your fingers are lighter and faster than your hand.
But psychologically, I write faster using monkey muscle memory than if I think about, which finger I should use.
So with a lot of training, you could get the last 1% speed out of it.
Personally, I write 55 wpm and I'm happy with it 😄

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

12 minutes ago, GopherTv said:

I type 100 wpm on monkey type but I realized I don't use my pinkies, I only use them for like shift/enter and stuff not acctual letters. If I want to type faster is that holding my back, do I need to learn typing using proper finger placements to get faster?

Yes 🙂 I dont type like this either. I type in a weird way, because I started using pc's as a child and never practiced proper typing

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I can do well on these tests but my brain is too slow to figure out what I want to type when I'm actually forming a sentence lol 

I think it just comes down to practice, obviously more fingers could help, less movement = time saved but if your not used to doing that naturally, it's going to take some time to adjust and you'll likely be much slower for a period of time while you try to force yourself to not go back to your natural method of typing.

BTW, 100wpm is already pretty good, more is always better but I don't think you're going to be at a massive disadvantage in most situations at that. (other than bragging rights) 

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

I think that you should use your pinkies if you want to get a lot faster at typing. But if you find it comfortable and you can get the speed you want then I wouldn't stress about it about it

13 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Physicall, maybe. Because your fingers are lighter and faster than your hand.
But psychologically, I write faster using monkey muscle memory than if I think about, which finger I should use.
So with a lot of training, you could get the last 1% speed out of it.
Personally, I write 55 wpm and I'm happy with it 😄

I type at about 60 wpm, but that is in typeracer, when making sentences, my mind cant keep up or smth, so I am a little bit slower

Yeah, I never really invested the time to learn to type correctly. In order to get the best speeds, you pretty much need to position on the home row and use all your fingers without really moving your hands. It's a little like learning to play piano, in that you really have to build up the muscles and dexterity in your fingers.

I've just been typing so long that I basically have all the key positions memorized, so my hands move all over the keyboard, but I can still crank out 80 WPM or so. I get totally screwed up whenever there's a non traditional layout, though, like when they move the keys around or change the sizes of certain keys.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

We had to take typing in school (early 1960s) on manual typewriters.  We were graded for both speed and accuracy and of course this was in the day when you could not correct errors so precision was rewarded.  The only reliable way to improve skills is repetition.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

Honestly, fast typing isn't that useful when you try to express something while you're writing it. Even just typing this post, I've rewritten parts of the sentences at least once or twice to express what I'm trying to say. I just did a test on monkeytype and did 122 wpm (and I'm using a QWERTZ keyboard with a Swiss layout). But writing this post was nowhere near that speed, because I'm not just blindly typing what's in front of me.

The way I learned fast and more importantly, accurate typing was during my apprenticeship in business administration. The way it was taught to us was with an ancient piece of software that had individual lessons for every finger, so when you were for example training pinky fingers, you were just required to type the letters you should use that finger for over and over again at faster and faster intervals. It's a bit like learning how to play an instrument. While that part was ok, we also had to conform to then-current ergonomic guidelines such as sitting at perfect 90° angles and it even went so far that the edge of the keyboard had to be aligned with the edge of the desk so your hands were floating in the air and not perched on the desk itself. I obviously no longer adhere to those guidelines. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I never use my pinkies for actual letters, just shift, delete, enter, etc. Somehow I still get around 105 WPM.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

With those online typing tests I usually average around 90wpm, but I'm usually held back by my reading speed as opposed to my typing speed. 

I also find it really difficult to type when I'm looking at what I'm typing. If I'm watching what I'm typing I tend to make loads of mistakes and then get confused when I try to correct them, sometimes even correcting mistakes I haven't even made!

But if I just close my eyes and type, I find that I can usually type faster and more accurately. 

For work, I often have to transcribe 1-2 hour long focus group recordings, so I just close my eyes and type. I usually find that (depending on the accent of the focus group attendees) I can almost type in real time, but I usually slow it down to around 80% just to give me a bit more thinking time

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

With those online typing tests I usually average around 90wpm, but I'm usually held back by my reading speed as opposed to my typing speed. 

I also find it really difficult to type when I'm looking at what I'm typing. If I'm watching what I'm typing I tend to make loads of mistakes and then get confused when I try to correct them, sometimes even correcting mistakes I haven't even made!

But if I just close my eyes and type, I find that I can usually type faster and more accurately. 

For work, I often have to transcribe 1-2 hour long focus group recordings, so I just close my eyes and type. I usually find that (depending on the accent of the focus group attendees) I can almost type in real time, but I usually slow it down to around 80% just to give me a bit more thinking time

That's because you're like me.  You type from the heart.  Not from the head

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Practice 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3