framework laptop funding

joker77

to help framework get revenue have you thought of doing a stream for them like a charity stream? another idea was what if you sold something like a mouse mat where the profit from it went to framework. also maybe a sponsored go fund me for framework. just some ideas to help avoid the conflict of interest while still generating funding for framework. sorry if this is the wrong sub thread for this i did not see a better place for this.

Framework is a company, if their product succeds in the market they will surely have enough profits to support themselves. There is no need to throw money at companies like this, the best way back  them up is buying their product. 

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

Framework is a company, if their product succeds in the market they will surely have enough profits to support themselves. There is no need to throw money at companies like this, the best way back them up by buying their product. 

that is fine but linus said he was looking for a way to invest in them on WAN show so that is why i posted this.

8 minutes ago, joker77 said:

that is fine but linus said he was looking for a way to invest in them on WAN show so that is why i posted this.

The point of investing is allocating one's money and expecting a profit. If you find a company promising, you invest, and expect them to generate income for you as their value increases. This is very different from raising money for some cause.

3 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

The point of investing is allocating one's money and expecting a profit. If you find a company promising, you invest, and expect them to generate income for you as their value increases. This is very different from raising money for some cause.

he said it was mostly about helping them not investing. from what he said it seemed more like when he bought gamestop stocks. he went on a tangent about how he could have invested in good companies a long time ago if it was about money.

41 minutes ago, joker77 said:

Investing is not the same thing as donating money.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

12 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Investing is not the same thing as donating money.

i know. none of what i said was actually donating money. more like donating time to generate them money. i already explained why i said it all to the other guy. have a feeling neither of you even watched the wan show and that you did not read what i said to the other guy. glad i never came in here a ton seems like some reddit level stuff in here. well if linus staff sees it and likes it they do if not it is whatever i'll see myself out now.

1 hour ago, joker77 said:

to help framework get revenue have you thought of doing a stream for them like a charity stream? another idea was what if you sold something like a mouse mat where the profit from it went to framework. also maybe a sponsored go fund me for framework. just some ideas to help avoid the conflict of interest while still generating funding for framework. sorry if this is the wrong sub thread for this i did not see a better place for this.

Is framework a non-profit then?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The best way for them to succeed, is for you to buy their laptop.

If they can't survive with just that, they've set their goals too high and didn't price their laptops adequately. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Framework seems to me to be an attempt to create a standardization like atx but for laptops and shows that the run from standardization in laptop manufacture isn’t currently and may never have been true.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, joker77 said:

i know. none of what i said was actually donating money. more like donating time to generate them money. i already explained why i said it all to the other guy. have a feeling neither of you even watched the wan show and that you did not read what i said to the other guy. glad i never came in here a ton seems like some reddit level stuff in here. well if linus staff sees it and likes it they do if not it is whatever i'll see myself out now.

The first rule of conversation is to be clear. The onus is always on you to make your point, not the other person to understand. Getting frustrated at us, because you were no clear in the first place isn't going to help anything, and for what it's worth, I've watched both the video in question and every WAN show. Don't make assumptions.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Linus could invest into the company and if there are concerns surrounding that, he could stop reviewing laptops.

There are plenty of qualified members in his team for that such as Alex or Anthony. That way, there would be no conflict of interest. It isn't LMG that invested, it's Linus Sebastian, so Anthony or Alex would have no affiliation what so ever with Framework.

I know it's probably a bit of a sacrifice for Linus to give up on reviewing laptops, but I think this could work.

Outside of that, I'd be ok with him investing anyway.

18 minutes ago, andrei_09 said:

Linus could invest into the company and if there are concerns surrounding that, he could stop reviewing laptops.

There are plenty of qualified members in his team for that such as Alex or Anthony. That way, there would be no conflict of interest. It isn't LMG that invested, it's Linus Sebastian, so Anthony or Alex would have no affiliation what so ever with Framework.

I know it's probably a bit of a sacrifice for Linus to give up on reviewing laptops, but I think this could work.

Outside of that, I'd be ok with him investing anyway.

It's Linus' company so the question of partiality still remains.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

1 minute ago, cacoe said:

It's Linus' company so the question of partiality still remains.

Or he just keeps doing what he more than likely already does. Invest and not tell anyone about it. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Or he just keeps doing what he more than likely already does. Invest and not tell anyone about it. 

Quite an accusation, not that I'm saying otherwise, but why do you think this is the case? He appears to want to be transparent about his investments, and has discussed on WAN show multiple times in the past.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

Just now, cacoe said:

Quite an accusation, not that I'm saying otherwise, but why do you think this is the case?

Do you think he reveals EVERY investment he makes?

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Every one that might be a conflict of interest. Why even bring it up if he was just going to do it anyway?

5 hours ago, joker77 said:

4 hours ago, joker77 said:

Nothing you posted originally leads anyone to believe anything BUT talking about giving them free money like they are a charity. So see yourself out if you want but you contradicted yourself with every post so that's on you.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Every one that might be a conflict of interest. Why even bring it up if he was just going to do it anyway?

So he says when he invests in any company that is based or does business in China?

(I'm not going to elaborate on this much to avoid politics, but look at how many companies are based in Taiwan)

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

50 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Actually, he's made pretty clear that his wife handles the finances. The GameStop investment was notable because it literally was the only thing he had invested in aside from the LMG business, itself, of course.

41 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Actually, he's made pretty clear that his wife handles the finances. The GameStop investment was notable because it literally was the only thing he had invested in aside from the LMG business, itself, of course.

I hope that’s a was.  That thing was like sort of investing in a meme.  They die fast. Game stop still is the only brick&mortar store in some areas selling computer equipment though.  

I personally wouldn't invest in it, simply because I don't like that it uses type c inside the slots and that it probably relies on proprietary / intel centric stuff for the modularity, and some stickers and standardization of screws don't make it a great product.

Didn't see the LTT video, but saw the laptop on PC World ... right away I noticed that the modules rely on usb type c  for connection, so everything has to go through type c... so you get displayport over usb , and you spend $19 on a tiny pcb with two usb connectors in a plastic cartridge (nintendo gameboy / nes anyone? plastic waste)

I assume the laptop also uses thunderbolt to support displayport over type c, or something specific Intel, so they couldn't really do something AMD just as easy.

Also, you almost always need to have one usb type c for charging, so you don't really get 4 slots, you get 3 slots.

Then you almost always need at least a type a for a mouse or a usb stick and you're down to 2 slots.

Now you're left with two slots to use, most likely one will go to a monitor output and the other personally I'd use for ethernet but no such module.

Why isn't the audio headphone + microphone on a slot if they want to be modular, they could fit an analogue audio jack so they could have fit some usb type c on the side, maybe a displayport... so that you could actually use the slots for addons.

Also... there's kensington locks or a reason ... have fun getting your modules stolen or pulled as pranks , because I don't see being able to lock them (even if with something as simple as an optional m2 screw or something like that... have fun getting water accidentally in the slots.

21 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I personally wouldn't invest in it, simply because I don't like that it uses type c inside the slots and that it probably relies on proprietary / intel centric stuff for the modularity, and some stickers and standardization of screws don't make it a great product.

Didn't see the LTT video, but saw the laptop on PC World ... right away I noticed that the modules rely on usb type c  for connection, so everything has to go through type c... so you get displayport over usb , and you spend $19 on a tiny pcb with two usb connectors in a plastic cartridge (nintendo gameboy / nes anyone? plastic waste)

I assume the laptop also uses thunderbolt to support displayport over type c, or something specific Intel, so they couldn't really do something AMD just as easy.

Also, you almost always need to have one usb type c for charging, so you don't really get 4 slots, you get 3 slots.

Then you almost always need at least a type a for a mouse or a usb stick and you're down to 2 slots.

Now you're left with two slots to use, most likely one will go to a monitor output and the other personally I'd use for ethernet but no such module.

Why isn't the audio headphone + microphone on a slot if they want to be modular, they could fit an analogue audio jack so they could have fit some usb type c on the side, maybe a displayport... so that you could actually use the slots for addons.

Also... there's kensington locks or a reason ... have fun getting your modules stolen or pulled as pranks , because I don't see being able to lock them (even if with something as simple as an optional m2 screw or something like that... have fun getting water accidentally in the slots.

Thunderbolt does work on AMD systems... that have it.

I just finished catching up with my youtube videos and saw that Linus was looking for ideas to give financial help to Framework without investing in them. My idea is that he can hire out his merch staff (at cost) to Framework to make some custom merchandise for them, which they can then sell on LTTstore (at cost).

18 minutes ago, Firesand said:

I just finished catching up with my youtube videos and saw that Linus was looking for ideas to give financial help to Framework without investing in them. My idea is that he can hire out his merch staff (at cost) to Framework to make some custom merchandise for them, which they can then sell on LTTstore (at cost).

the point was conflict of interest , if ltt stands to financially gain from framework's success then thats what the issue was.

even at cost ltt would be gaining sales figures from frameworks success