What would YOU do with an Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade?

LloydLynx

I would buy the cheapest dollar like intel cpu, and then with the rest of the money get an amd cpu

Some of you forget that you have 8 HOURS of LINUS' time.

Id get a water loop installed, water cool the GPU and CPU then overclock it. It'd be a 3090 and probably a 11990 of some kind.

I don't currently know overclocking so I'd get Linus to do it.

Clean the setup and get a second display which is high resolution not high refresh rate.

Then its gamer time 😎

I would probably get a nice TV for movies. Also would get a NAS and/or server build so that I can host dedicated game servers to play with friends (nothing over the top) just enough to get by. The rest.....idk

Would be nice to have the latest gen CPU and motherboard but the rest of my system is good enough to just move straight over.  Most of it would be spent on TV and stereo upgrades.  Get a 4K oled and an amp that can pass 4K HDMI.

Given that I already have a pretty decently specced PC, I'd probably splurge on some electric guitar equipment. Half of the money would immediately vanish just to get a Kemper Profiling Amp. Yeah, it's not a valve amp, but it's the best solid state amp out there and it can emulate the sound of pretty much every other amp in existence. And better guitarists than me have done blind tests without noticing any difference between a Kemper and a real valve amp, so who am I to disagree? 

I'd also get a Boss HM-2w Heavy Metal (or if I can find a decently priced used original, I'd take that), just for the fun of it, to use the baritone guitar I ordered to get a nice crunchy 90's Swedish death metal sound out of it. I'd also love to finally have a decent bass guitar, so I'd spring for a Fender P-Bass. The remaining grand or so I'd use to buy a variety of other pedals, maybe finally a decent delay pedal. I'd love to try a Mooer Ocean Machine. And a bass amp for home use would also not go amiss, though I haven't done a ton of research into it, so no idea what I would get for that.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

My current laptop does not meet the performance I need. 

I desperately am looking for a lower-cost solution to help me analyse histology - I use QuPath and ImageJ heavily (essentially vector image tools for immunohistochemistry whole slide analysis). 

These softwares seem to burn through my laptops CPU and use all of my RAM - which is no mean feat since it's an i9 (2018) with 32GB of RAM, hence needing an upgrade (sounds stupid I know). 

Don't need the whole $5000, I would donate the rest to various the various cancer foundations in my country. I just need an analysis computer that doesn't crash with these huge image files :(. 

Before anyone asks - the department did give us one, but its a 7th gen core i5 with 16gb of RAM. It does not cut the mustard. If im doing 500 of these, and they each take 1-2 hours to analyse, about 1/3 just sitting around waiting. Not the funnest thing in the world. 

[EDIT]

bit out there, but I don't own many clothes and my shoes are falling apart. It's not that i don't have any money for clothes, but I can't justify the expense and have health and family expenses - not to mention I live on a scholarship. 

9 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Any $5000 peugeot is a bit of a downgrade tbh

thats my car lol, happy to sell for less than 5k. bought it for 5k though. 

Dig up enough dirt on an official to not have to worry about officials anymore 🤣

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Already have the best laptop money can buy for my line of work (here’s to hoping some form of hardware accelerated x86 virtualization comes to Apple Silicon), but I’d take this thing in a heartbeat if someone handed it to me for free. Otherwise I’d never be able to justify it.1410636848_ScreenShot2021-07-20at5_13_27AM.thumb.png.3ffaec374d7835dc6457cdcb6312bc52.png

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I'd buy 4 gaming PC's so that I can have some friends over and play games, the rest would go to outfitting the room so that it feels like a lan cave

My i9 10900k computer is going productivity only soon so it won't be plugged into my bedroom OLED any more so I need a replacement.

Since I don't want to downgrade to an Intel 11th gen 8 core and I don't want to use Windows 11 that is needed for an Intel next gen CPU, I will go with a 5900x.

CPU =                   AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor                                            $549.00        

CPU Cooler =       Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler                   $199.99        

Motherboard =      Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard                              $449.99        

Memory =             Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory     $224.99                

Storage =             Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive       $399.99        

Video Card =        Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB ROG STRIX WHITE OC Video Card              $2350.00

Case =                 Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case                                                    $169.99                    

Power Supply =   EVGA G2 1300 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply              $299.99        

OS =                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit                                                                  $139.88            

Case Fan =         Corsair LL120 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack                                                   $129.99    

$4,913.81    

I will most likely build this so it would be nice if it wasn't paid for by me.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I'd get a better home theater setup, and a new computer but since its intel I'd go cheap and later give that to a family member since my rig is already more than fine (5900x with a 5700xt).

I have a 145" projection setup with a half assed surround and a ok couch. I'd get a 4k projector, a real screen (i have a white blackout cloth that works surprisingly well), better speakers and a better couch.

I have everything I need but I would pay someone to make me a swivel and reclining, wheeled lazyboy computer chair.  I mean like a low profile lounger that is plush and comfy and doesn't hurt my ass after sitting for 16 hours. 

I'd build a NAS and build a Threadripper based rendering box.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

5800X, B550-E & 4000MHz kit. After that, probably a third monitor? My R6 still holds well and i have enough space for 2 more sata-drives (SSD/HDD).

Probably 500GB Gen4 M2 for the B550-E.. 20TB HDD if i have a chance.

Even with 1.5TB free space in onedrive, backups is already at 700GB from pictures all the way back in 2009 when i was 13 years old.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I assume you'd have to buy Intel strictly parts? If that's the case, I'll just get a decked out ITX build for my living room.

Something like

• 10-900K or 11-900K
  • 32GB of CL 14 Ram
  • 3080 / 6900 XT
  • High-end Asus/MSI Intel Board with Wifi (Not in the loop of Intel boards)
  • Thermaltake Core V1 case
  • 2x LG '27 4K 144 Hz Monitors

But if its you can use the 5K however you want, I'd just buy a 5900x, a Gen4 2TB NVME. $500 in liquor and thots and save the rest. 🙂

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)