[MAY NOT BE OFF-TOPIC] What jobs are recommended for a 14 year old?

TsmDan3
Go to solution Solved by BlueChinchillaEatingDorito,
58 minutes ago, TsmDan3 said:

wow. so helpful. im definitely not stubborn, yeah totally

I mean... he's not wrong. The pay from the types of jobs you'll be doing at 14 would literally be peanuts and you'll gain little to no experience in the process. You'll definitely not be getting "a job that pays more than minimum wage" I can guarantee you that. 

[MAY NOT BELONG IN OFF-TOPIC]

I have recently turned fourteen. I want to figure out what jobs I could take, as Georgia allows for anyone above the age of 14 to enter the workforce.

I live in Alpharetta. I would prefer a job that pays more than minimum wage.

2 hours ago, TsmDan3 said:

I have recently turned fourteen. I want to figure out what jobs I could take, as Georgia allows for anyone above the age of 14 to enter the workforce.

Paper run? If that's still a thing where you live.

12 minutes ago, overthe6r said:

Just learn programming. It really pays off.

That's more of a long term thing... 14 year old all star programmers are still not the norm.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

fast food? The one with the big yellow M.

I worked as a waitress at your age but illegally and in awful conditions earning cents, perks of a shithole country at their finest. 

I got declined at a Mickey D's that said they would hire 14 year olds because I was 14 so...

What jobs are recommended

What ever jobs you can get. You may be allowed to enter the workforce, but not all places would want to hire a 14 year old and even less are likely to pay more then minimum wage.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 7/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, Mel0nMan said:

I got declined at a Mickey D's that said they would hire 14 year olds because I was 14 so...

I think it'll also be a PR nightmare if they were to hire 14 year olds. While the law in Georgia says 14 and older, I feel like most people would still think anyone under 16 working at retail or restaurant chain should be considered child labor. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

1 hour ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Too young.

Enjoy life.

30 minutes ago, TsmDan3 said:

I would give the same advice. I'm also 14, been declined at like 5 jobs. Also for whoever suggested programming, I'm a small game developer and it's not very profitable.

58 minutes ago, TsmDan3 said:

I mean... he's not wrong. The pay from the types of jobs you'll be doing at 14 would literally be peanuts and you'll gain little to no experience in the process. You'll definitely not be getting "a job that pays more than minimum wage" I can guarantee you that. 

22 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

oh okay

shit.

23 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is there any specific age recommended before I start looking for jobs again? Maybe 16+?

6 minutes ago, TsmDan3 said:

Is there any specific age recommended before I start looking for jobs again? Maybe 16+?

That's around the age I would suspect most people would be comfortable with. Employers hiring those who are under 16 are always going to be scrutinized for child labor. And even if the laws allow, it's just bad PR. 

1 hour ago, TsmDan3 said:

oh okay

shit.

You’d probably be better off starting your own business tbh if you’re really intent on making money as young as possible and building momentum for the future. You’d largely only be beholden to yourself in this arrangement rather than an employer, thus don’t need to care about being young, or even formal education depending on profession. 

Keep in mind that learning to run a business on short notice is a tall order for anyone, let alone a 14 year old with few resources, and is likely to compromise on schooling as it takes a lot of attention to run a business. Not that this should necessarily deter you, as having a thriving business by 18 will put you well ahead of your graduating peers, and can facilitate college, or further growth. 

If you’re ambitious and are willing to put the (undoubtedly substantial) work in on preparation and execution, you can be successful. Whatever you choose, just go in with eyes open, and work your butt off for it. No shortcuts on the work to reach success. 😉

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

As much as this may seem like bad advise, start with the jobs you don't think you would like.  I have done plenty of odd jobs over the years and can say I learned almost as much from the ones I disliked as the ones I was interested in.  Even if what I learned was I don't want to do that job for a living it helps steer you to the jobs that fit your style and skill set.  Do the seasonal work, lawn care, gardening, mowing. Packing box's at a shipping facility, Amazon, fedex, ups.  Those things might be better than fast food and should pay better than minimum wage.  Your gonna have to work your butt off for it though.  Summertime jobs will not be easy if you plan to quit and go back to school in a few months.

Do cash jobs, mowing lawns, washing cars, gardening etc. If you do a good job and can demonstrate hard work, you can get a bit of money. 

There is also farm work if you are willing to learn and get a lot fitter quicker. 

Mowing lawns is a thing.

Walking dogs is a thing.

Washing cars is a thing (if you're allowed, some places don't allow because detergent and dirt isn't supposed to go in the rain water collectors)

Helping older folks around you with buying groceries (ex go to older people and tell them you where you live and offer to buy things for them for a tip). If you have some wallmart or something close to you, you could be cheaper than uber eats or other home delivery things.

Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) is a thing, but you may have to be 18 to work.  You could ask your parents to make an account and acts as one of your parents, and I think you can withdraw money as Amazon gift cards / codes so you can only buy stuff from Amazon.

MTurk is basically tasks that machines can't automate ... There's lots of easy jobs but repetitive like hell and earning little ... like for example make 5 cents by checking 20 slides with text and the transcription for those slides and correct the transcription where needed.  Basically, you'll spend maybe 3 minutes for 5 cents...

Other jobs are stuff like listen to 10 minutes audio recording and correct transcription ... and you get paid 1$ or something like that.

If you have a good voice (which may be, but may change once puberty hits you) and a good microphone, you may be able to do voiceover jobs on sites like fiver or other freelancing sites - but again, these most likely will require you to be 18 or the legal age where you are.

Some do drawings on fiver, but that only works if you're good at drawing.

You could learn video editing and if you have a good internet connection, you could edit videos for various youtubers.

(this requires actually risking some money)

Something else you can do is to get coupons and go to wallmart and other places and search for items that are on sale or clearance - often some items are heavily discounted but the prices are not updated to reflect that - you can use apps on phone to scan barcode and see the actual price.

I've seen people on Youtube buy Nintendo Wii games that were super discounted, and then they flipped them on eBay or through Amazon (but amazon requires being 18 and making your own company)

This one would be hard considering your age and not having a car... and may be a bit risky. 

If you have businesses and industrial parks near you, you could go searching waste containers for scrap (aluminum bits  and copper cables are  worth a lot of money)... see for example video below :

Not many options for 14 Yr old. You can't even get driver license yet. I suggest flipping shoes on ebay or something. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Few decades ago when I was 14 I was working in a small PC repair shop and then during the summer I moved to maintain PC equipment, networking and servers at the local airport. So I would say that it depends. 

On 7/18/2021 at 3:12 PM, TsmDan3 said:

Your better off looking for opportunities outside of an employer. Even if you could get hired, there are a lot of tasks you are not legally allowed to do under Federal Law until you're the age of 18. Even in food service and retail for example, there are restrictions on what you can do. Where as you could mow lawns for example and you are you're own boss. Some times doing jobs like that can spawn a legit business. I went to college with a guy who did that, mowed lawns as a kid and built a businesses out of it. 

On 7/18/2021 at 9:48 PM, TsmDan3 said:

Ill be honest. Id look in to retail. Working conditions are a bit better. Fast Food left me angry and bitter. 

The fact however is, under the age of 18 you have to take shit jobs. When you reach 18 you can legally drive a Hi Lo and other powered equipment so that means you can find jobs making a bit more money. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.