Why are rads inside cases?

Why are radiators in cases besides contiguity & maybe water volume?

Seems to me that cases should have radiators external to the case so they max out air flow on the rad, decongest the case, spread out warm components, & reduce dust inside the case while making the rads immediately cleanable & not semi trapped in their cases in difficult to clean books.

Being outside the case would look hideous to most people, it would be a massive point of failure as there's way too many things that can bump or damage the radiator.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

There's nothing really preventing you from having radiators outside with many cases; there are many examples all over Google of people doing such things.

The main reason is down to aesthetics most likely. It's easier to contain all parts within a PC design vs. a design that can lessen what many people might consider an eyesore protruding from various areas of a PC case.

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

it would be a massive point of failure as there's way too many things that can bump or damage the radiator.

This is also a valid concern.

11 minutes ago, tkitch said:

you mean like this monstrosity from Zalman years ago?

-snip-

Completely OT but do you know where I would buy one and/or its part/model number.

elephants

custom water cooling before case has room to mount rads in it bigger then a 120mm we would add them to the out side. on the back or top. even they started selling kits that would fit on top. but we finally got bigger case to mount rads in. quad rads worn t that common thow. i no i mounted a 360 in the front of my antec 1200 right to the 5.25 grill

but lots of case had the tube cut outs to mount it out side for years.

computer stuff 007.jpg

wposu8rbqbu01.jpg?auto=webp&s=7a308e60dd

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScC0FX8JHqvJTrYes_7C_

reserator1v2.jpg

comp1-jpg.22888

Ef3rEGq.jpg

full

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Completely OT but do you know where I would buy one and/or its part/model number.

Zalman Reserator 1 V2, good luck with finding one, it's 15+ years old. Thermaltake CL-W0011 Rocket is similar to this one.

Or you could buy one of these: https://www.caseking.de/aqua-computer-airplex-gigant-3360-kupfer-wara-362.html   https://www.caseking.de/aqua-computer-airplex-gigant-1680-inkl.-aquaero-6-pro-aluminium-wara-357.html

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

3 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Zalman Reserator 1 V2, good luck with finding one, it's 15+ years old. Thermaltake CL-W0011 Rocket is similar to this one.

Or you could buy one of these: https://www.caseking.de/aqua-computer-airplex-gigant-3360-kupfer-wara-362.html   https://www.caseking.de/aqua-computer-airplex-gigant-1680-inkl.-aquaero-6-pro-aluminium-wara-357.html

best is to make your own get like a 580 and mount it.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

you can simply make you own rad tower. you'll be able to have it look anyway you want and fit any space you want.

6 hours ago, divito said:

There's nothing really preventing you from having radiators outside with many cases; there are many examples all over Google of people doing such things.

The main reason is down to aesthetics most likely. It's easier to contain all parts within a PC design vs. a design that can lessen what many people might consider an eyesore protruding from various areas of a PC case.

This is also a valid concern.

In my mind it's hilarious that the radiators are inside because my motorcycle & my dirt bike the radiators are more exposed than any of these PCs and I rely on those two 240ish radiators not to fail on a bike that's doing jumps, log & river crossings, & crashing so hard I've knocked over a few trees. So besides aesthetics, I'd think anyone wanting performance bang for their buck would want their PC rads out.

3 hours ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

In my mind it's hilarious that the radiators are inside because my motorcycle & my dirt bike the radiators are more exposed than any of these PCs and I rely on those two 240ish radiators not to fail on a bike that's doing jumps, log & river crossings, & crashing so hard I've knocked over a few trees. So besides aesthetics, I'd think anyone wanting performance bang for their buck would want their PC rads out.

They're also cooling something that is actively producing fire on your bikes.  PCs don't (usually) actively make fire!

4 hours ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

i mean an open air test bench is best for cooling too so your want to do that too.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

They're also cooling something that is actively producing fire on your bikes.  PCs don't (usually) actively make fire!

I get that, but I've crashed some 3000 times on & off-road & only broken 1 radiator on one side of the bike once, so it guarding my rad in a stationary brick seems overkill af

2 minutes ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

I get that, but I've crashed some 3000 times on & off-road & only broken 1 radiator on one side of the bike once, so it guarding my rad in a stationary brick seems overkill af

not all cases are designed to have the rads inside.  

But the real reason is just  "Aesthetics" cuz looks matter in PC Cases.

13 minutes ago, tkitch said:

But the real reason is just  "Aesthetics" cuz looks matter in PC Cases.

Well these new-money part light barf boxes are aesthetically tasteless 😂

7 hours ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

in your opinion, I'm sure 😛

7 hours ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

You could just go the route of @TheNaitsyrk and just make a case out of radiators..

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

You could just go the route of @TheNaitsyrk and just make a case out of radiators..

Basically. In style of MSI Vortex.

IMG20210413231545.jpg

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

On 7/10/2021 at 4:12 AM, Beat_my_Laptop said:

Why are radiators in cases besides contiguity & maybe water volume?

Seems to me that cases should have radiators external to the case so they max out air flow on the rad, decongest the case, spread out warm components, & reduce dust inside the case while making the rads immediately cleanable & not semi trapped in their cases in difficult to clean books.

Well, as you can see from the photos having the rad on the outside means you have to drill large holes in the case for the tubes and connectors to pass through the case. Having the rad on the inside of the case is also a safety measure to prevent the burning of pets and children.

ok ok...

here some a bit of background info. the short version.

first back in the day. there was no room inside the case to even have a loop inside. rads and anything else that didn't fit had to be outside. as time progressed cases got better as well as water cooling hardware. this allowed for ( most use cases) everything to be consolidated into a single box while maintaining very near or the same results. aka this allowed for all the hardware to take up less space, it's more attractive to most, Less points of failure, easier to move, and maintain high performance cooling.

the biggest downfall of water cooling inside the case the vary reason of why water cooling exists in the first place. which is water can move the heat to wherever you want the heat to dissipated. before it was to move it out of the case, but since any decent case now days are heavily ventilated you wouldn't need to do that. with a few exceptions like using so many rads you wouldn't need any fans, or nich designer ideas like 2x, 3x, or4x itx builds sharing a single rad tower. but they both examples dump heat into the same room as a loop inside the case would now days. 

the only real true reason besides aesthetics for building your loop outside the case would be to dissipate the heat somewhere other than the same room or potential reduce fan noise with sheer mass and convection. 

On 7/9/2021 at 10:53 PM, FakeKGB said:

Zalman Reserator 1 V2 Fanless Water Cooling System (xoxide.com)

Also, I still have my biohazard fan cover. Somewhere.. haven't seen one on the internets in many many moons.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

6 hours ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Basically. In style of MSI Vortex.

IMG20210413231545.jpg

is that another case? what happened to the last one?

5 hours ago, rockyroller said:

Well, as you can see from the photos having the rad on the outside means you have to drill large holes in the case for the tubes and connectors to pass through the case. Having the rad on the inside of the case is also a safety measure to prevent the burning of pets and children.

most cases back then have the tube cut outs...

15 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

is that another case? what happened to the last one?

Didn't work out. Too hard to work inside. (The one with steel panels)

Might sell it / might use it another time.

This one is inspired by MSI Vortex and works really well.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.