I guess I'm looking for an audio switch?

BoDyBaG2224
Go to solution Solved by Feveredbike,

This: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001F347K/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is exactly what you're looking for. I had the same problem as you and this solved it. Just have the number your input is connected to pushed in and select/deselect your outputs.

Hello all, I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but basically it would act as an audio switch. I have my headphones plugged into the back of my computer, but I also have a soundbar that I occasionally like to use and will probably have a 3.1/5.1 set-up at some point. Is what I'm looking for an audio switch? I was looking around and truth be told I don't know what I'm looking for, basically all I need is the ability to switch between my headset and speakers.

Any thoughts on what I'm looking for?

An audio interface...?

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

If your computer has optical or HDMI (on motherboard or gpu depending) use that for the speakers as you'll need it for 5.1 anyway then just change the audio device in windows.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

windows audio mixer?

the small speaker at the bottom right corner of your screen

click mixer

then there is a little arrow on the side of the main volume called 'speakers'

click that and you get a drop-down menu with all the audio devices you have plugged to your computer

now you can just click which one you want the output in

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Maybe I wasn't clear, I need an additional jack to plug in my soundbar, so I was wondering if there is a hub/splitter that I can plug into my audio port on the back of my computer and then plug in my headset and speakers to that and switch between them. I could just plug my headphones into the front of my case, but that requires the little IO shield thing to be down, and I don't like the way that looks.

Hmm, after thinking a bit more, if I just get a Y-Splitter that should work right? And then just toggle between the two in Windows?

Hmm, after thinking a bit more, if I just get a Y-Splitter that should work right? And then just toggle between the two in Windows?

No since Windows would recognize them both as one device and send audio to them both. You can get a splitter and just unplug the one you're not using or try something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Headset-Switching-Manhattan-172851/dp/B000K8PH8C

Splitters are much cheaper though and I'm not sure how well that device works. 

I understand your question and honestly id like to have one aswell but i havent found one yet, i got 3 headphones and a 5.1 speaker Set that toggle between, its a hassel so a switch/hub would be great but alas so far no luck, if you do find one poke me!

No since Windows would recognize them both as one device and send audio to them both. You can get a splitter and just unplug the one you're not using or try something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Headset-Switching-Manhattan-172851/dp/B000K8PH8C

Splitters are much cheaper though and I'm not sure how well that device works. 

I kind of figured it would be considered 1 device...Is there something that would fit into one of the expansion slots on the back that I could then plug into my front audio headers on my mobo?

I guess I could also find a 20 dollar sound card and install that and run my soundbar out of that. Some of the Syba ones seem to fit the budget.

I kind of figured it would be considered 1 device...Is there something that would fit into one of the expansion slots on the back that I could then plug into my front audio headers on my mobo?

I guess I could also find a 20 dollar sound card and install that and run my soundbar out of that. Some of the Syba ones seem to fit the budget.

I know there are some mean't for switch videos that are RCA but those would work with audio as well. You just need some 3.5mm to rca adapters. 

This: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001F347K/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is exactly what you're looking for. I had the same problem as you and this solved it. Just have the number your input is connected to pushed in and select/deselect your outputs.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

So I can plug headphones and speakers into that for audio? I might actually have to get that just so I don't have to choose between my headphones or speakers without swapping cables out.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

So I can plug headphones and speakers into that for audio? I might actually have to get that just so I don't have to choose between my headphones or speakers without swapping cables out.

Yeah. It has two 3.5mm ports and 4 RCA ports. If you need more 3.5mm ports you'll have to get an adapter (the sound bar hopefully uses RCA cables) but you'll probably be fine. I have my headphone amp and speakers hooked up to it as outputs and DAC (audio from computer) as the input. I just select the number that the amp or speakers are plugged into and it switches to that source. You can see a picture in the link on my signature. I didn't realize I wasn't responding to OP, sorry :P

Edit 524: The shipping from Amazon says 2 weeks or so, but I got mine in a few days. And it seems like they really care about your purchase which is nice.

I understand your question and honestly id like to have one aswell but i havent found one yet, i got 3 headphones and a 5.1 speaker Set that toggle between, its a hassel so a switch/hub would be great but alas so far no luck, if you do find one poke me!

POKE

POKE

oooh i se i se. ill need some 3.5mm to rca adapters though so i can plug in my Headphones, and a 3.5 to 3.5 so i can plug in my DAC/AMP into this thing.

I guess this is the best route for now, hope they make a multi 3.5 hub one day.

oooh i se i se. ill need some 3.5mm to rca adapters though so i can plug in my Headphones, and a 3.5 to 3.5 so i can plug in my DAC/AMP into this thing.

I guess this is the best route for now, hope they make a multi 3.5 hub one day.

I'm surprised you need more than two 3.5mm ports. I know for my setup I'm using none considering my amp, DAC and speakers are all RCA :o and I just switch all my headphones out through the amp.

I'm surprised you need more than two 3.5mm ports. I know for my setup I'm using none considering my amp, DAC and speakers are all RCA :o and I just switch all my headphones out through the amp.

The more headphones you get the more 3.5´s you´ll need :P or RCA (with an adapter) unless you want to spend the whole day plugging in and out those connectors :P its like a USB hub!

The more headphones you get the more 3.5´s you´ll need :P or RCA (with an adapter) unless you want to spend the whole day plugging in and out those connectors :P its like a USB hub!

I'm just curious as to why you want to plug all the headphones into the switcher when the can just plug the pair you want to listen to into the amp, or am I missing something?  :mellow:

Nevermind. I guess I just don't mind swapping headphones through the amp. 

I'm just curious as to why you want to plug all the headphones into the switcher when the can just plug the pair you want to listen to into the amp, or am I missing something?  :mellow:

Diffrent headphones for diffrent music :P

and if i want to compaire them its easier to press a button then plugging in them in and out.

Diffrent headphones for diffrent music :P

and if i want to compaire them its easier to press a button then plugging in them in and out.

If you don't mind me asking, what headphones do you own?  :)

HD 650

DT 880

Vmoda LP

For now xD

planning on getting the Vmoda M100´s 

Wow. That explains how you use all three for different types of music. I just need an equivalent to he 650s to complete my collection of sound signatures (although I'll probably wait and get the HD800s). As I currently have DT 880s and HDJ-2000s. And ATH-M50s, but I don't use those anymore.

Wow. That explains how you use all three for different types of music. I just need an equivalent to he 650s to complete my collection of sound signatures (although I'll probably wait and get the HD800s). As I currently have DT 880s and HDJ-2000s. And ATH-M50s, but I don't use those anymore.

I´v been eyeing those HD 800´s but that freaking price tag :(

oh and damn it seems that RCA hub is not that easy to get here in Europe

i´ll have to import from somewhere. :(

OR find something similar