Amazing product! (don't buy it) - Syng Cell Speaker

James

Check out the Syng Cell Alpha Speaker at https://lmg.gg/qlxXv

Designed by ex-Apple engineers, the Syng Cell speaker is a wireless wi-fi speaker with some really cool spatial audio tricks up its elegantly designed sleeve.

From the review this seems filled with anti-consumer practices and I'm surprised they were just skimmed over.

The design sucks in my opinion, but each to their own I guess.

This product is giving me heavy Portal (2) vibes:

SyngSpace.thumb.jpeg.164f2e0ee509d6f43ec10e0732bcbd6e.jpeg

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Wheatley, is that you?

Portal 2 ending spoilers (the game is close to 14 years old, you really should've played it at this point! also, holy crap.. 14 years .. yike):

Spoiler

Nah, it's Core 1, featured particularly prominently at the end of Portal 2 (alongside Wheatley)

Core 1 really wanted to go to space and got its wish, truly a happy ending 😄 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

42 minutes ago, minibois said:

This product is giving me heavy Portal (2) vibes:

It kind of reminds me of the Death Star more (on a stick).

Also that reminds me, I should really play those games owned them for years 0 minutes played 😂

Overpriced garbage from yet another former Apple shill. When will these forgotten nobody's still flashing Cupertino in their work history just get disappeared? Nobody cares about how far you took your douche bag accomplishment and what you did with your pathetic stone age technology.

I'll take a wired speaker that plugs directly into a audiophile DAC versus a speaker that requires an "app" any day of the week. For the price of two of these you can easily grab a TEAC UD-503 and a pair of 3-way amplified or XLR monitor speakers. The same speakers you see in professional recording studios and musicians personal recording setups, Using the TEAC HR player app you also have a proper 10-band EQ right on your smartphone that will even play back Hi-Res Audio content. Bonus: you even get a parametric SA sweep from 32 to 32k in real time. So yeah, you can actually monitor that EQ curve to make sure it really is flat.

And the best part is it works with any connection you have on any device - analog, digital, optical, RCA, desktop PC, tablet, smartphone, music streaming from a NAS, Pandora etc...

Try a pair of Yamaha NS-5000 speakers if you really want to go "high end"... and leave the star wars joke toys for those who don't know better.

did they actually use it? or just a few clips here and there? as it didn't seem like they used it a lot in the video...

Also a mic without a kill switch, hope more units with mics will have that.

In the next episode it will have so much boom bastic beats that it will hover without a stand and spin around to shoot sounds everywhere.

So when someone shoots in an action movie, it sounds like gunshots in real life and the cops are called.

This sort of idea has good principles behind it.

Using phase shifting from multiple tweeters to direct sound is done already by speakers from people such as Martin Audio, and it works very well.

Using opposed woofers to reduce cabinet vibrations? Done already, works very well. Also works well for increasing the "punch" the subwoofer has, as you have more diaphragm to work with.

Using DSP in a room is a great idea, it's done constantly by Audio Engineers who know an ounce about audio. But the way the speaker is EQ'd makes no sense. Chucking a big bass shelf in isn't gonna help anything.

The acrylic enclosure makes me cringe. Acrylic is extremely reflective, so I bet that cabinet is resonating like hell.

In terms of making the Soundstage wider than the speakers themselves, most good speakers do that already. Without DSP. Without being triphonic aswell.

On to their marketing material:

image.png.a3aa7295955f3ea83a99b977df3d0544.png

Object based audio isn't new. Auro-3d has been doing it since 2006.

I would be pretty interested in testing these, but I suspect it's gonna be all too similar to Devialet stuff. I've got a pair of Devialet Phantom 1's in my listening room right now (alongside my normal listening loudspeakers), and I suspect these speakers would "feel" the same to listen to. Half-decent overall sound, plenty of bass, and clinical sounding. With the typical "consumer" tuning.

Really, If you want good sound with an industrial look, just grab a pair of Genelec 8330A's, grab their GLM kit, connect it into your home network, then use the included DSP microphone, and listen away. Can have wired or wireless volume control.

4 hours ago, Luscious said:

Try a pair of Yamaha NS-5000 speakers if you really want to go "high end"

I wouldn't compare a pair of 21,000 USD passive loudspeakers to a 1700 dollar DSP UFO.

Edited by Derkoli

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

25 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

The acrylic enclosure makes me cringe. Acrylic is extremely reflective, so I bet that cabinet is resonating like hell.

It's just to look a bit "fancy" and "different" for added price? 😛

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

It's just to look a bit "fancy" and "different" for added price? 😛

F*ck using acrylic.

Just, use solid gold. It looks fancy, different, and you can add more price. Better for acoustics aswell.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

51 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Object based audio isn't new. Auro-3d has been doing it since 2006.

Ah, claiming credit and expecting to be applauded for "innovations" competitors have already been doing for years, these people really did work at Apple. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

16 hours ago, Luscious said:

versus a speaker that requires an "app"

16 hours ago, Luscious said:

Using the TEAC HR player app

Not that I disagree with your overall rant, but you can't have it both ways, deriding this fancy apple toy for needing an app, then saying  in the same breathe that the pro audio gear needs an app for fancy options

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

20 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Not that I disagree with your overall rant, but you can't have it both ways, deriding this fancy apple toy for needing an app, then saying  in the same breathe that the pro audio gear needs an app for fancy options

Allow me to elaborate:

The TEAC HR player app is a media playback app for music files stored on your mobile device. I mention it because it includes that EQ and SA functionality. If you have a TEAC mobile DAC and connect that with your iPhone the two will give you Hi-Res audio playback on-the-go with that EQ built in. Perfect if you've invested in a high end set of cans for example.

The TEAC desktop DAC doesn't need the app to function, more so because your source most likely already is pushing an EQ or flat curve over an analog or optical connection. This will work with both headphones and a pair of speakers. It's how I have it set up for use.

Spoiler alert: I won't buy it.

What even is it? What kind of product? Why would I waste my time watching this video with a title that a) claims you shouldn't buy it, b) has no information what so ever about what kind of product it is and c) doesn't give any information about what kind of product it is in the "previews" when mousing over the video?

Again, what's with the increased level of clickbait recently?

CPU: Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3080 | RAM: 32GB HyperX 3200MHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming | Main monitor: ASUS ROG PG248Q (1080p 180Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 (Cherry MX Brown)

5 minutes ago, Steve From Yellowstone said:

Again, what's with the increased level of clickbait recently?

its a youtuber thing, sometimes it can become a bit too much "clickbait" or less of a review than "sponsor time!", compared to what one might want.