The 24" M1 iMac has a DIRTY SECRET

Apple’s new iMac has caused a lot of controversy for its white bezels, but what if I told you there's something much worse to worry about?

Buy Apple iMac 2021
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/iF2g
On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/tDFBtw
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/MJ7CiJ

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

1 hour ago, GabenJr said:

but what if I told you there's something much worse to worry about?

That it (EDIT: Typo) runs MacOS? 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Sorry Linus and Anthony. You are wrong. 

You don’t get an colour accurate 4K display for much less than the price difference between this and the Mini. 

With that said the thing that is better with the Mini is that you don’t need to get a new display when you upgrade or if you allready have a good display. 

55 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

but what if I told you there's something much worse to worry about?

that a desktop has soldered ram and SSD?

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If you're in the market for a small all-in-one, you probably aren't the sort determined to upgrade either of those. I have a 27-inch iMac I use for work, and even I'm not in too much of a rush to upgrade RAM or storage.

19 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Isn't that standard for Macs these days?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Nice video, felt like it hold back some of the "memes" it wanted to make, compared to some other recent videos.

Which I feel was better to watch, and smoother in overall as consumption of content.

43 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Sorry Linus and Anthony. You are wrong. 

You don’t get an colour accurate 4K display for much less than the price difference between this and the Mini. 

With that said the thing that is better with the Mini is that you don’t need to get a new display when you upgrade or if you allready have a good display. 

If they’re gonna recommend a Mac mini over the M1 iMac based on the price, the comparison should’ve been based on the price of similar hardware not just one component. The closest monitor to the M1 iMac display is the LG UltraFine 24” 4K display which costs $699. And it doesn’t come with the 1080p webcam, the nice speakers, the microphone array, or the magic keyboard and mouse.

If you get the base Mac Mini $699 with a comparable display like the LG UltraFine $699, you’ve spent $1398 and get less features than the base iMac $1299.

40 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Isn't that standard for Macs these days?

Thats a good point, but soldered ram and ssd are still reasons why I wouldn't buy one, because theres enough space in the chassis for an M.2 SSD, and no upgrades or the ability to use the m1 imac as a display means it'll be landfill waste. And the external PSU which makes no sense in an AIO, if desk space is limited then a power brick on a desk doesn't make sense.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thats a good point, but soldered ram and ssd are still reasons why I wouldn't buy one, because theres enough space in the chassis for an M.2 SSD, and no upgrades or the ability to use the m1 imac as a display means it'll be landfill waste. And the external PSU which makes no sense in an AIO, if desk space is limited then a power brick on a desk doesn't make sense.

Yep, Linus had the same complaint with the Surface Studio. Everything soldered. 

3 hours ago, Spindel said:

3 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

The closest monitor to the M1 iMac display is the LG UltraFine 24” 4K display which costs $699.

yes you can Asus ProArt Display PA279CV which a really nice unit is 500$ and you can make most of the 300-400$ units color actuate

LG 27UK650-W can get you most of the way for 350$

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The blender results are interesting, have you noticed how little the difference is between the rosetta results in the mac mini review and now with a native version? It is about 10% faster in BMW and 18% in Classroom (8c gpu 2 fans vs m1 mac mini rosetta as baseline).

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

yes you can Asus ProArt Display PA279CV which a really nice unit is 500$ and you can make most of the 300-400$ units color actuate

LG 27UK650-W can get you most of the way for 350$

The Asus ProArt is cheaper because objectively it’s not as good as the LG UltraFine. The ProArt is lacking in brightness, contrast, pixel density, and port options in comparison to the LG UltraFine and the M1 iMac display.

Brightness:

LG UltraFine 540 nits

M1 iMac 500 nits

ProArt 350 nits

Pixel Density:

M1 iMac 218 ppi

LG UltraFine 186 ppi

ProArt 163 ppi

Thunderbolt 3:

M1 iMac 2 ports

LG UltraFine 2 ports with pass through 

ProArt 0 thunderbolt ports

Static Contrast:

LG UltraFine 1200:1

ProArt 1000:1

Also the M1 iMac is 4.5K in a 24” display and LG UltraFine is 4K in a 24” but the ProArt is 4K in 27”. So it definitely has larger pixels than the other two because fewer pixels are covering a larger area. Reading text on it won’t be as nice because the pixel lines will be more visible at a closer distance.

The ProArt is a good monitor but not as good as the other two. The price difference is commensurate with the feature/performance differences.

The display panels in the ProArt, the LG UltraFine, and the M1 iMac are made by LG. And LG would never sell their panels to another brand at a lower cost than to their own.

Honestly Linus should know you can’t get a display like the iMac’s for much less. He’s reviewed tons of monitors and has covered LG’s display division. Then there’s the webcam, speakers and other stuff he likes about the iMac that won’t be cheap to replicate. And that’s why his recommendation is frustrating, it’s like the specs don’t matter to him.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/a4571664bc

Thunderbolt 3:

M1 iMac 2 ports

LG UltraFine 2 ports with pass through 

ProArt 0 thunderbolt ports

? why do I care about thunderbolt on a display? even on my macbook pro I just run a USB-C to displayport cable because it means I can plug it into almost any monitor made in the last 15 years

Static Contrast:

LG UltraFine 1200:1

ProArt 1000:1

I tend to not belie factory contrast numbers. easy enough to make it higher while making the monitor look bad

The display panels in the ProArt, the LG UltraFine, and the M1 iMac are made by LG. And LG would never sell their panels to another brand at a lower cost than to their own.

you realize these "UltraFines" are just made to replace apples old cinema displays, they've got plenty of apple tax apple just didn't want to make "affordable' monitors any more

Honestly Linus should know you can’t get a display like the iMac’s for much less. He’s reviewed tons of monitors and has covered LG’s display division. Then there’s the webcam, speakers and other stuff he likes about the iMac that won’t be cheap to replicate. And that’s why his recommendation is frustrating, it’s like the specs don’t matter to him.

because almost no one needs the 4.5k 500 nit screen. 350nits 4k 27in is fine for most workplaces. and then you don't need to do so much stupid scaling.

if your doing color actuate work you certainly don't care as you'll be in a dark space

my point stands other than thunderbolt and not having 500nits you can get almost all of it for 1/2 the cost

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/ultrafine-4k

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

i have a mac mini (6 core i7) i use it with this ridiculous 4K 43" LG and i love this monitor as i can sit away from it and also easily switch from the mini to the work MacBook as it has a million inputs. 

I could have bumped the mini to the M1 except the i/o is junk on the current M1. I have to wait to see what they do with their higher tier mini. I use my current one mostly for recording audio. It's really not great for video editing in terms of graphics power, and there is no point in investing into external graphics in the macintosh world neither.

I also wondered if they would offer users of the Mac Pro an upgrade path, e.g. imagine a thing half the size of the AMD radeon cards they have that's a multi-core M1x card. At this point you have your Xeon for intel workloads and the M1x for apple silicon native.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

? why do I care about thunderbolt on a display? even on my macbook pro I just run a USB-C to displayport cable because it means I can plug it into almost any monitor made in the last 15 years

I tend to not belie factory contrast numbers. easy enough to make it higher while making the monitor look bad

you realize these "UltraFines" are just made to replace apples old cinema displays, they've got plenty of apple tax apple just didn't want to make "affordable' monitors any more

because almost no one needs the 4.5k 500 nit screen. 350nits 4k 27in is fine for most workplaces. and then you don't need to do so much stupid scaling.

if your doing color actuate work you certainly don't care as you'll be in a dark space

my point stands other than thunderbolt and not having 500nits you can get almost all of it for 1/2 the cost

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/ultrafine-4k

Your argument is that you personally don't care about or need those features so everyone should ignore them when comparing these products. That's not an objective comparison anymore, that's just your opinion dude.

I do feel the critique of Apple in this video was blown out of proportion. A 7% difference in sustained performance between a cheaper and a more expensive iMac versions is more like "something you should keep in mind while making a purchase", rather than "APPLE IS LYING TO YOU!!!!11".