why do ram and pcie slots have tiny holes in the sides of the hole where you do insert the card?

is it because for manufacturing purpose, or do they have an actual use? which is it?

Tiny holes? You mean where the locking fingers grasp it to hold it in securely? In that case it's, well, to hold them in securely.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1. To hold them in place.

2. To keep Pakleds from inserting them backwards and bugging customer support with, "My computer is broken. Can you make it go fast?".

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, tikker said:

Tiny holes? You mean where the locking fingers grasp it to hold it in securely? In that case it's, well, to hold them in securely.

@aisle9 I meant those holes

IMG_20210605_161841.jpg

7 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

@aisle9 I meant those holes
-pic snip-

Thats where the metal pins go in.

Indeed for manufacturing.

Edit:
You should be able to see the metal (mostly copper or similar) pins move back and forth when inserting RAM sticks on those slots.

Screenshot_183.png

IMO I dont see any reason to have them open BESIDES to be able to diagnose a broken pin.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

3 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

I meant those holes

Oh those. In that case, what @HanZie82 said.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

43 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

MO I dont see any reason to have them open BESIDES to be able to diagnose a broken pin.

Probably because it's easier to manufacture this way and also to save plastic. 

Generally speaking if you look at any plastic product you'll find all sorts of holes, cutouts, dimples and other things that are essentially "the absence of plastic". It's usually either because it somehow makes the manufacturing process easier (eg a simpler and cheaper mold) and or because they will do anything to save every last gram of plastic, which makes sense considering you make these products in bulk.

If having a hole in a certain place won't affect the utility of the product, but it'll save you 10% in material cost, that means if your plant buys 1 ton of plastic per month you'd save 100kg and you can still sell it for the same price.

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv