can touching the inside of a PC kill me?

4 minutes ago, 38034580 said:

If I were to touch the inside of my PC case, would I die of electrocution?

Which part of the inside? 

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

If it's an exposed power supply that is being supplied by electricity from the wall when you touch it, it's highly probable you can. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

No paperclip or metal objects into the power supply.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, 38034580 said:

All parts.

Nope, direct current inside does not kill you.

I edit my posts more often than not

11 minutes ago, 38034580 said:

If I were to touch the inside of my PC case, would I die of electrocution?

depends on how far you stick your finger in the PSU XD
in all seriousness, yes and no. If you need to change things, clean dust, whatever you mean by "touching" the inside of the case, then turn the computer off. Chances are you wouldn't get hurt or damage the pc anyways, but better safe than sorry. Just turn it off, pop the power cord out, do whatever you're doing and plug it back up. Now if you're wanting to stick a screwdriver in the PSU, yes that can hurt you bad or even kill you.

Overall just treat it like a car engine. Will you break it or die from touching the case it while it runs, probably not. But there's no reason to not be safe and just turn it off in case

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

If it's an exposed power supply that is being supplied by electricity from the wall when you touch it, it's highly probable you can. 

Actually the PSU doesn't have to be plugged in the Wall to Kill. Some High School Teen trying recover a Fan from a Dead PSU gotten kill by remaining charge. 

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Actually the PSU doesn't have to be plugged in the Wall to Kill. Some High School Teen trying recover a Fan from a Dead PSU gotten kill by remaining charge. 

true. Best practice is unplugging and holding the power button for a bit to cycle the energy out, but I'm thinking the OP isn't working with open PSU, just more generally worried about working inside a PC

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I was thinking that as I came back here haha. Yeah if there is any charge left over in the capacitors of the power supply when unplugged, definitely for sure too that way. 

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

true. Best practice is unplugging and holding the power button for a bit to cycle the energy out, but I'm thinking the OP isn't working with open PSU, just more generally worried about working inside a PC

I usually hold the power button down for about 5 seconds to remove any residual charge leftover. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

There's a possibility to get killed inside your own room - by sticking a fork in a wall plug..

It's possible but unlikely.

12 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Some High School Teen trying recover a Fan from a Dead PSU gotten kill by remaining charge. 

Actually even that is pretty unlikely to happen. The capacitors in a power supply don't hold charge that well when the computer is unplugged. They discharge to far lower voltages in a few minutes.

The voltage supplied by the caps is also DC which is less harmful. Especially if you live in North America the voltage on those capacitors isn't that high to begin with.

Nonetheless it's good to be careful around these things.

No. Good grief. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

If you just like touch the metal, or touch the back of the GPU or something, as long as your finger isn't wet it's just fine. Don't take apart your power supply and lick the caps though.

But they taste so yummy!~ XD

most would detect something is wrong if you did, some has too little power but if you were able to get it through your body for a very long time it could be bad.

PSU and the wall is mainly the bigger power areas, would think both have some fuses to protect, either the wall protection or the PSU switching off. (hopefully a good PSU and house breakers). the PSU can hold some big loads that can be a bit explosive if not discharged, not something you would want to touch.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Theres a possibility to get killed inside your own room - by sticking a fork to a wall plug..

It's possible but unlikely.

Who is stupid enough to do that? There are childproof plastic cap you can plug into the socket to keep young childern out.

Oh wait the Young Woman I mentioned in another Post? Who even knows what a Druggie will do...

9 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Who is stupid enough to do that?

Well there are other options also besides an obvious fork.

Don't underestimate the stupidity when people are not paying attention to the right things.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Well there are other options also besides an obvious fork.

Don't underestimate the stupidity when people are not paying attention to the right things.

Especially with Druggies/Tweakers.

37 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Who is stupid enough to do that? There are childproof plastic cap you can plug into the socket to keep young childern out.

Oh wait the Young Woman I mentioned in another Post? Who even knows what a Druggie will do...

The same people who take apart / put their fingers inside a psu when they don't have the knowledge of basic electronics? 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

The same people who take apart / put their fingers inside a psu when they don't have the knowledge of basic electronics? 

Given that I knew better then to touch the insides of older CRTs TV and displays since I was a kid. I'm certainly not going to open up a PSU to get cheap Fan inside. Come on PC Fans don't cost that much to be worth your life.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Yes, u may get sliced by your casing and get infected leading to death

Anything is possible

Pessimistic logic today, I see.

Perhaps your HX1000 in Miney will explode today.

Anything is possible

elephants

27 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Pessimistic logic today, I see.

Perhaps your HX1000 in Miney will explode today.

Anything is possible

Getting your finger sliced because you put the part in some cheap ass Case is not unheard off. And the Finger can get infected.

I cut my finger on the Case with the Computer I built.