Everybody hates the windows store: Microsoft releases it's own *nix like package manager, bypassing the windows store.

WolframaticAlpha
1 minute ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Does that work? I thought ShellRunas from SysInternal's was necessary.

If you run CMD/PowerShell as Administrator then it doesn't need to elevate so you won't get the UAC prompt. However I believe there are UAC settings that can change this behavior. It's what I do to get around it prompting if I'm doing something that requires a lot of elevations anyway.

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Run As Administrator

That is pretty annoying cuz I keep forgetting to run in admin mode and do all kinds of stupid shit 🙂

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

As for teethering, who says I had cable with me? You're literally excusing trash OS that's entirely inconvenient because it hurts your feefs that someone says it's trash. Well, it is.

If I am allowed to chip in, the only one who seems extremely butthurt here is you, because something doesn't seem to cater to your precise preferences.

Not the first time I've noticed that you call things "useless" and "crap" because they do things in a way you aren't used to.

20 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I'll never understand people who praise console commands over interface just because it's shorter.

Well it is faster. Writing a command is faster than clicking a bunch of buttons, if you know the correct commands (often times you can just use the help command if you aren't sure).

It almost always works the way you expect it to. UIs can change from version to version, causing users to constantly have to relearn where things are located. 

It is way easier to script. If you want to quickly do a bunch of things at once, for example if you often change PC and want to change some settings, a script that executes and changes 10 settings in 2 seconds is way faster than manually looking up each one of those 10 settings by hand and changing them.

It it often more powerful in the sense that you can have more granular control or more features available. A lot of times, GUIs are just executing CLI commands, and often times (when dealing with more advanced things) the GUI do not have all the options available. Ever been logged into an enterprise switch before? The amount of options that are available would simply not be possible to implement in a GUI. There are just too many commands. 

GUIs have a scaling issue.

If you are writing a guide or helping someone, saying "type in this command and you're done" is way easier, faster and less error prone than trying to describe which menus to click on and guiding them through a GUI. What could be done in 10 seconds might take an hour just because the user has to repeat what they see, you have to figure out what they are looking at, which menu the setting might be located under, etc, etc.

It makes copying settings and configurations easier, because you can either move some text file around (can be done with GUIs programs as well) or just save the command that changed the settings you wanted changed.

Just a few examples of why I like CLIs for some tasks. Do I like CLIs for all tasks? No. I dislike CLI text editors for example. I much prefer Notepad over nano or vi for example. Do I want a CLI web browser? Absolutely not. Way easier to navigate with a mouse and keyboard.

Do I want to install programs from a CLI? Absolutely. It is fantastic.

Do I enjoy configuring programs from a CLI? Depends on the program but more often than not, yes.

57 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

UIs can change from version to version, causing users to constantly have to relearn where things are located.

I don't know how prevalent changes to CLI syntax is within a same product version is, but Microsoft has a hard-on for changing up PS commands between Exchange cumulative updates. Same goes for PS commands into Office 365 backend.

2 minutes ago, StDragon said:

I don't know how prevalent changes to CLI syntax is within a same product version is, but Microsoft has a hard-on for changing up PS commands between cumulative updates. Same goes for PS commands into Office 365 backend.

Well, since Microsoft also seem to have a hard-on for changing the UI and menus in their products I'd say that's more of a Microsoft problem rather than a CLI problem.

In general, I find that CLI commands change less frequently than GUI menus. That will probably vary from product to product but I am making broad generalizations here.

Changing the location of a button in a GUI? No big deal. The users will adapt and might just have to look around for a couple of minutes.

Change the syntax of a command? Tons of automatization tools and integration tools will break and have to be updated.

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

Linux isn't just one operating system like Windows or Mac (for the most part) is, there's a lot of different desktop environments, as far as I know most have print screen support.

Either way though, FlameShot lets you do that on pretty much any system

Well it sort of is, distros aren’t really whole operating systems, they’re more different collections of modules. There’s only one Linux kernel. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 5/30/2021 at 7:01 AM, Kisai said:

and only works on one specific kernel version out of the box. So using an nvidia part with Linux is going to be brutally painful. Fortunately Linux's only appeal to nVidia is ML, not gaming. So ML often sticks with one driver version and nVidia would rather you use their docker image than actually try to install anything.

FWIW, you need the DKMS drivers for that, which are not usually the default (the driver from Nvidia's website asks if you want to enable it during the installation). I'm using (and have been using) the latest available driver from nvidia (470.63.01) with a recent kernel without any problems.

It's common (and desired) to update the drivers due to the required CUDA version combination and to use new features (specially if you have a gpu with tensor cores).

image.png.46f01bc0c9e166b819e3eb396910da18.png

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

* thread cleaned *

Please stay on-topic and keep the CS in mind when interacting with others.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.

No trolling or flame-bait.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 9/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, RejZoR said:

I'll never understand people who praise console commands over interface just because it's shorter.

Because it takes a few seconds to type out a command vs hunt-and-peck UI drill-down menus. But you need to know what that command is before hand, where as a UI will usually bundle similar things together so you can get an idea of what it is you're doing.

For all intents I can write a 32KB program in C that operates on the command line and uses 1MB of RAM, where as the GUI version will be 200MB of disk space and use 600MB of RAM because the trend is to run on electron, nw.js or some other CEF platform. Which is the kind of thing Windows settings is now. If you go to the Apps & Features page in settings, you can only have this page open, you can't open another settings page at once, like you could do with control panel. It takes 120MB of RAM to open.

It's also a lot more efficient to create a script or batch file to things than a "gui" based macro which will be broken every time the GUI front end changes, including changing shape or size (often you have to create macros using keyboard shortcuts exactly for this reason, because moving the window or changing the size of it will result in the popups appearing in different places.)

The GUI is for "set it and forget it" stuff. The command line is doing complicated, if-rarely-used, commands in a precise order.