Why does Linus think so badly of RTX 2060?

RTX2060Owner

Hey, i am new here!

In this video, Linus heavily criticises the RTX 2060. He mocks it by saying it's a crap card for 4K and basically a waste of money.

Why? I own it and it's a pretty good card, in my opinion. I game in 2560x1440p, and i am able to maintain very good FPS. I play RDR2 in a mixture of medium and high settings, and i am hitting 60-70 FPS.

With lighter titles like Pillars of Eternity, CS:GO, Grim Dawn etc. i am hitting 100-165 FPS (my refresh rate) either at Ultra or on a mix of Medium and High. The Witcher 3 runs in 120-140 FPS with all post processing turned off + a mixture of high and Ultra.

The 6 GB of RAM is not a problem. I would like additional 2 GB's, don't get me wrong, However, i have never felt like it's too little. RDR2 in 1440p takes about 4 GB of RAM.

Why is Linus so critical of the card? Not everyone games in 4k.

Because he can afford to....

Most of us would kill for one right now, but LTT has a million cards laying about, so they can be picky about stuff. 

We can't.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

"For 4K"

Thats the important part. Probably the card is to slow to do it properly.

So, fine for 1080 bad for 4K (since its a lot more pixels).

(2 073 600 for 1080p versus 8,294,400 for 4K)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

6 minutes ago, RTX2060Owner said:

He mocks it by saying it's a crap card for 4K and basically a waste of money.

Realistically, a 2060 is best suited to 1440p, max... 2080ti may have been the better bet for 4K, but even then 4K was a major headache for a LOT of cards.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

That video came out shortly after release. What you're seeing there is part of why the current shortage is such a big deal. Pascal to Turing wasn't a big enough gap to make it worth going to Pascal from Turing. Nvidia also marketed that as a 4k GPU. 

Are you using yours at 4K? If so, what are your frame rates like? 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, RTX2060Owner said:

Hey, i am new here!

In this video, Linus heavily criticises the RTX 2060. He mocks it by saying it's a crap card for 4K and basically a waste of money.

Why? I own it and it's a pretty good card, in my opinion. I game in 2560x1440p, and i am able to maintain very good FPS. I play RDR2 in a mixture of medium and high settings, and i am hitting 60-70 FPS.

The 6 GB of RAM is not a problem. I would like additional 2 GB's, don't get me wrong, However, i have never felt like it's too little. RDR2 in 1440p takes about 4 GB of RAM.

Why is Linus so critical of the card? Not everyone games in 4k.

high price at launch compared to the 1060 at launch. not a great RAy tracing Card performance wise, relativelu low V RAM for 4k. even I wont use my 3070 for 4k. from what I remember foor the video he rips on its ability to use ray tracing as its really nota  good ray tracing card but overall a good improvement over last gen's 1070 in regards to raw non raytraced performance. especially with tech like DLSS behind it. there was also not gpu shortage and honestly its a even worse card now if we didnt have a shortage

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Realistically, a 2060 is best suited to 1440p, max... 2080ti may have been the better bet for 4K, but even then 4K was a major headache for a LOT of cards.

Sorry, i worded myself incorrectly. Yes, the 2060 is bad for 4K gaming with newer titles (unless you are fine with 30 FPS, then it's great). However, it's obviously not intended for that resolution at that price point. That's like comparing a laptop that's intended for office work to a gaming desktop

10 minutes ago, RTX2060Owner said:

Hey, i am new here!

Why? I own it and it's a pretty good card, in my opini

Edit sorry posted prematurely, wait!

1. Remember that this is from 2019

2. Performance for the price isn't impressive. Say compared to the $100 cheaper (talking about MSRP), 1660 Super, there's fairly minor performance gains. Or perhaps in comparison to the GTX 1070ti (which used to go for sub-$200 on the used market), performance was similar. Or, in comparison to the 5700xt which MSRP's for what... $60 more? The 5700xt had performance numbers that were in between the 2070 and 2070 Super. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Because it was marketed as a 4K capable card when it launched even though it's not?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

He 

1 minute ago, RTX2060Owner said:

Sorry, i worded myself incorrectly. Yes, the 2060 is bad for 4K gaming with newer titles (unless you are fine with 30 FPS, then it's great). However, it's obviously not intended for that resolution at that price point. That's like comparing a laptop that's intended for office work to a gaming desktop

At the time the video launched, it was similar performance to a 1060 to 1070 depending on task, but cost $100-200 more, and then slapped on a feature that’s little to no performance at the tier it’s at.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Because he can afford to....

Most of us would kill for one right now, but LTT has a million cards laying about, so they can be picky about stuff. 

We can't.

Yah, Linus should look forward in time 2 years and stop being so critical in the present to make us feel better when things aren't going well when the future becomes the present?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, RTX2060Owner said:

I think the main issue was the fact that you had a huge price jump for a 60 series card for a feature that didn't really do well with the card which is ray tracing as that;s what it's main selling point was which was the cheapest way to access ray tracing. but the price and lack of performance on raytracing hindered it;s performance a ton. also consider this was before a lot of games that currently have dlss had dlss 

@RTX2060Owner - the context of the wording he used is key, like @Lurick said.

2nd gen RTX cards did come with a very "Ouch" premium, 'cos AMD had nothing better to offer... hence the pricing strategy of the 30-series...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

I think the main issue was the fact that you had a huge price jump for a 60 series card for a feature that didn't really do well with the card which is ray tracing as that;s what it's main selling point was which was the cheapest way to access ray tracing. but the price and lack of performance on raytracing hindered it;s performance a ton. also consider this was before a lot of games that currently have dlss had dlss 

4k dlss is still pretty bad on the 2060, it couldn’t do 4k to begin with, but even 1440p with some ai upscaling is too much for it.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

4k dlss is still pretty bad on the 2060, it couldn’t do 4k to begin with, but even 1440p with some ai upscaling is too much for it.

honestly not surprised. 

6 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

1. Remember that this is from 2019

2. Performance for the price isn't impressive. Say compared to the $100 cheaper (talking about MSRP), 1660 Super, there's fairly minor performance gains. Or perhaps in comparison to the GTX 1070ti (which used to go for sub-$200 on the used market), performance was similar. Or, in comparison to the 5700xt which MSRP's for what... $60 more? The 5700xt had performance numbers that were in between the 2070 and 2070 Super. 

this.
around the same time, i got a 1070 for literally $120. A good deal yes, but getting a 1070 ti for $200 was nothing crazy, which basically matched the RTX 2060 in games. Not to mention the RTX was useless, and spending the $100-150 more from a 1660 super gave you like 15% more performance.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

i got a 1070 for literally $120.

fuck if I wish that was possible right now. 

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

ot to mention the RTX was useless

honestly kinda still is. 

Just now, rice guru said:

hindsight is 20-20, i wish i bought doge 2 years ago lol

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

hindsight is 20-20, i wish i bought doge 2 years ago lol

lol, glad I bought doge on the initial hype that was a nice $20 investment even though I misstimed my sale by a bit but at least I manage to cash outbefore the current crash but not the point of the post. honestly Ive been seeing a lot more posts like this elsewhere. even people prepped to buy 1050ti for msrp at launch 

9 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

^^^ I have a 2060 Super, if you go for middling DLSS settings and tone down the RTX and some other settings, you can get stuff like Cyberpunk or Control playable at 4K. Something like the new Metro Exodus enhanced that uses RTX only lighting, you'll need to pretty aggressively drop settings to consistently get playable fps (usually around 40 or so for most games aside from faster paced shooters). The base 2060 would be even worse, so yeaaah I'm gonna call 4K on that a fat nope, unless you don't like crispy textures (lotta games will pull over 6GB VRAM at 4K) and are okay with DLSS on the performance preset (lowest internal resolution), which usually looks like shite. On DLSS 2.0 titles it can be better but it's still pretty meh IMO. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

Because it was marketed as a 4K capable card when it launched even though it's not?

Ya, ok, but an item shouldn't necessarily be judged by its marketing, that always comes of as a bit weird to me. Just mention that the marketing is a bit misleading, and then review *objectively* imo.

I know when I had my 1060 I would have loved to get a 2060, but they were really too expensive here - 400 euros! But, really all cards were too expensive here. I got my 1060 for 300 euros, which was a "bargain" lol.

My 3070 cost 700, thats actually more reasonable ironically,  imo. But 2060 a bad card at release ? Hell no.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ I have a 2060 Super, if you go for middling DLSS settings and tone down the RTX and some other settings, you can get stuff like Cyberpunk or Control playable at 4K. Something like the new Metro Exodus enhanced that uses RTX only lighting, you'll need to pretty aggressively drop settings to consistently get playable fps (usually around 40 or so for most games aside from faster paced shooters). The base 2060 would be even worse, so yeaaah I'm gonna call 4K on that a fat nope, unless you don't like crispy textures (lotta games will pull over 6GB VRAM at 4K) and are okay with DLSS on the performance preset (lowest internal resolution), which usually looks like shite. On DLSS 2.0 titles it can be better but it's still pretty meh IMO. 

2060 super was a rebranded 2070, which has 2 gb more vram and a lot more everything else.

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

honestly kinda still is. 

i almost got a water cooled gtx 1070 for $300 can...but i was trying to offer less and well some one els bought it now...dam that was when people were selling there gpus for the 30xx gpus...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

9 hours ago, Jumballi said:

2060 super was a rebranded 2070, which has 2 gb more vram and a lot more everything else.

Yes. Thus:

18 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

I have a 2060 Super... The base 2060 would be even worse, so yeaaah I'm gonna call 4K on that a fat nope

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Guys i don't know why this conversation strayed to 4K.

I am obviously aware that my GPU is quite insufficient for 4K. And that's fine, because it wasn't meant for 4K. Nvidia may have marketed it as a 4K capable card, but anyone with a brain could tell it wasn't. I believe that the 2080ti averages 50 FPS in RDR2 on max settings, 4K. So naturally, a card with a -60 suffix isn't meant for that resolution.

I just wanted to say his reaction was definitely overblown. This is a really decent card for widescreen 1080p and 1440p. So he definitely went harsh on it. This isn't the most powerful card ever created, but it is more than capable if you don't play in 4K, and you don't mind occassionally turning off some settings, like shadows or reflections.

I would agree that the ray tracing capability is kind of useless. However, the card kind of makes up for it with DLSS.

I don't even know why you guys talk about 4k that much. Most games don't work all that well on 4k even with very good cards. It's still a niche resolution. According to the Steam hardware survey, some 3% are on 4k.