No 20nm Maxwell until 2015

linusforsell

Pascal3.jpg?t=articleFull&k=c717ec53

Couldn't find this posted earlier, so... hopefully not a re-post, but who knows nowadays? Anyway:

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/18535-nvidia-maxwell-i-20-nanometer-drojer-till-2015

Here's a translated quote from the article:

Taiwanese manufacturers reveals to SweClockers that there will be a delay before Nvidia can introduce graphics processors with the Maxwell architecture in 20 nm. In a best case scenario we could possibly be seeing a model or two show up towards the end of the year, but it's more likely going to show up a bit into 2015.

According to this piece of news from SweClockers.com, we'll have to wait until late 2014/ early 2015 for higher end Maxwell cards due to delays in the 20nm manufacturing required for Nvidia to start pushing out the cards.

If this is true, I'm a bit sad... I was planning to upgrade to a fancy 800 series card this summer, but... oh well. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Nvidia brings to the table eventually!

Cheers,

Linus

Maxwell has repeatedly been slated for 2014 though, it seems unlikely that they're encountering that significant of a problem so close to launch.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

If this is true, SCREW YOU NVİDİA

but i doubt it.

I wouldn't trust the information... We're already so close, that anything major, wouldn't be likely.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

SCREW THIS IM GOING KEPLER

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

For people calling "fake", SweClockers isn't some random tech site, but is in fact quite reputable. It's the biggest tech-related site in Sweden, and they would rather release nothing than to release unfounded rumors. That being said, it's not like they've never been wrong before.

Cheers,

Linus

For people calling "fake", SweClockers isn't some random tech site, but is in fact quite reputable. It's the biggest tech-related site in Sweden, and they would rather release nothing than to release unfounded rumors. That being said, it's not like they've never been wrong before.

To quote Linus himself: Look at the date.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What do you mean? It was posted today at 3:30 PM Sweden time.

IT+s+NOT+HAPPENING+.+half+life+3+unconfi

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Seems unlikely. But can happen. Sweclockers is nice so maybe it is true.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

That means we will get 28nm Maxwell cards in summer, the 900 series will be 20nm then. NVIDIA learned their lesson 3 years ago and won't let it happen again.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

what about middle end cards like 860?  Emoticons-Cry-icon.png

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

That means we will get 28nm Maxwell cards in summer, the 900 series will be 20nm then. NVIDIA learned their lesson 3 years ago and won't let it happen again.

Oh, I guess that's a plausible outcome. Though that would make the 800 series quite boring, I guess...

Cheers,

Linus

31st March 2014? What's special today?

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

So... What's up with the date?

31st March 2014? What's special today?

I get it now. Tomorrow is April 1st. April Fools' Day. 

Honestly, this is a stupid April Fools' joke. It's not even funny. I mean, it just doesn't even seem like a joke.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It's a joke, more than likely. Tomorrow being April Fool's and all...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't think it's true.
There were no news about TSMC having problems with 20nm.
More the opposite.
They were getting 20nm production ready for months now and 16nm should be ready by the end of the Year.

I think it has more to do with the Rx-2xx series being to weak.
Why should they release Maxwell if the 700 series is on par with the competition.

RTX2070OC 

I find this unlikely. The first Maxwell GPU came out fairly recently. But there has been a large gap in-between probably because Nvidia is changing fab sizes. Nvidia has always said it would come out in 2014, their chart even says so why would they change so close to the release date. Unless there is a huge cost variation.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I'll put $20 bucks down that it will be between the 6/1/15/ and 9/1/15

sinces its not going to be there at e3 my money is on CES

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Oh, I guess that's a plausible outcome. Though that would make the 800 series quite boring, I guess...

This ^ and I don't think that they are going to jump a series like they did with the 300 series, they are to release something, but will it really matter to people if it's still on an old architecture ? That's the thing that have to be careful of, and also, they want to fight AMD this year by releasing something to compete more directly with the R9 series, so yeah...

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

I get it now. Tomorrow is April 1st. April Fools' Day.

Honestly, this is a stupid April Fools' joke. It's not even funny. I mean, it just doesn't even seem like a joke.

Even if it's an April fools joke, it's not April fools yet, and second, I've been saying this would happen for the last half year. From what I've heard about and from tsmc they won't have silicon ready till about mid July, and that means cards will be early fall/late august.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I don't think so, the 750Ti is just a bit lower performing than the 660 with a 60% TDP, that's like a full generational leap. Since NVIDIA always aims for 250W TDP on their top tier cards, they now don't have almost any restrictions for makig the 880 a beast of a card. Also AMD will probably release their new flagship in autumn and as I said NVIDIA doesn't want the events from 2011 to happen again.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

hopefully amd doesnt hold back too much on the 8 series because with 20nm and possibly gddr6 amd should be able to cook up something decent

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Why is that 20nm is so speciall. DOnt care that it will be 28nm, JUST GIVE ME 3K CUDA CORES

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log