FPS Servers. What are they?

Go to solution Solved by Helpful Tech Witch,

I think they user typed fps instead of a ftp.

A ftp server is for file hosting.

Hello all,

I recently watched a compilation video of a Reddit post and the poster mentioned that they uploaded files to an FPS server and i got curious as to what they are so I did some quick google searching and all i got results for were gaming centric server topics but it didn't seem like the right answer was to be found there so I came here because Linus told me to. (he didn't really lol) If someone knows the answer or you have questions for context I'd be happy to reply. Also I'm new to tech and to this forum so please be gentle lol.

I think they user typed fps instead of a ftp.

A ftp server is for file hosting.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Does that entail stuff like standard text documents as well? I'm assuming yes because its a file hosting server but I'm noob to this stuff.

3 minutes ago, SirQuesstionALot said:

Does that entail stuff like standard text documents as well? I'm assuming yes because its a file hosting server but I'm noob to this stuff.

FTP: File Transfer Protocol is a protocol for, well, file transfer. You can upload any file to a server that uses this. (assuming you have the login credentials of course).

Using an FTP server is like using a geeky and difficult to use version of Google drive.

Ok so its kind of like having a NAS but maybe more advanced? I actually have a small desktop NAS myself so this is an informative discussion for me.

4 minutes ago, SirQuesstionALot said:

Ok so its kind of like having a NAS

Not kind of, it's exactly that. An FTP server is a type of NAS.

A NAS in a home network typically uses a different protocol than FTP but you could run your home NAS as an FTP server if you wanted to. 

Usually people use FTP when they need access to the file server (NAS) from outside of the local network (so from the internet).

An FTP server is basically the ancestor of what we use and know today as "the cloud".
Except it was more clunky, not as secure and usually needed an extra software that you had to configure with your domain, settings, login info and what not, if you wanted to upload stuff to it, but could be accessed as a Read only with a browser.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Ok. Thank you this has been informative and thank you all for answering my question.

You also have TFTP or trivial file transfer protocol which is a lightweight version that was used back when FTP was hard on computers. Still used on some embedded devices like Cisco switches and routers for uploading and backing up configuration images.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Also one thing that might be good to add, these days when people are talking about FTP, they really mean SFTP, which is FTP combined with SSH. Old school plain FTP is unprotected, so all the files you send could be intercepted. SFTP uses encryption to prevent this, so almost everyone uses that now.

FTP's (or SFTP) are used commonly by many types of people. Most uses today is utilized in courts, lawyer offices, private investigators, and the like.

Also ftp servers are used by individuals on personal networks that just need to site to site file transfers.

Cloud Servers have been over-taking and replacing ftp servers far and wide but are done by service such as by Microsoft One Drive, Google Drive, Drop Box, etc for example.

image.png.7dd8e0dc14768f2b916a5a79c08be910.png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Microsoft One Drive

unrelated to teh rest of your post, but fuck it

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler