Nuclear target?

tire

Ok, first off, this is not to say that Russia is bad in any way, its just, if you have been reading the news as of late, Putin has been kind of threatening the UN.

Main question, are there any strategic targets in Oregon that would be of any use blowing up with a nuclear weapon, as I do not really want to die when the 2 military superpowers start fighting.

This is not to say Russian people are bad, I have some Russian friends, they are wonderful, so mods, don't take this post the wrong way

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

13 minutes ago, tire said:

Main question, are there any strategic targets in Oregon

Yes.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

dammit, welp, its been a good run, my fate is s e a l e d

1 minute ago, LWM723 said:

Oh, YES. Your the closest to Russia. Bon Voyage:)

little grim, just wanted to know if Russia would nuke a city with over a million civilians, and kill them all, that's a war crime

Yes they would but highly unlikely as this would be the end of the world if any superpower did this. Retaliation would be immediate.

*thoughts that violate the political commentary rules*

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

*thoughts that violate the political commentary rules*

Remembers that this is not about politics in the slightest, just global events

1 minute ago, tire said:

they go hand in hand though....

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, tire said:

The bolstering and parading Putin is doing is mostly about internal politics than any global position. Also diplomacy even if via weapons is still within the political spectrum 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

16 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

they go hand in hand though....

Dammit, not again, it’s just political talk was not what I wanted, I just had a question that needed answers 

Getting nuked will probably lead to a brighter future for Oregon.

<--Is an Oregonner.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 hour ago, tire said:

as I do not really want to die when the 2 military superpowers start fighting.

Literally no one wants a nuclear war, because there's nothing to gain: the moment anyone decides to send a nuke -- even a single one -- everyone else will do that, too, and that'll result in large portions of the world becoming uninhabitable. And, well, what use would large areas of uninhabitable land be to any country?

You can't have your citizens move in the contaminated zone, any sort of meaningful industry in the area would be impossible, you'd have to cull wildlife in the area so as for them not to spread any contaminated material around and you'd have a constant drain on resources from having to monitor the area. Not to mention that in a nuclear war, everyone would be targeting industrial zones, so as to cripple the opponent's ability to produce any meaningful resources, so once the war was over, you would be left with a country with lots of people but no industry.

There's also the risk of nuclear winter, which would be like shooting yourself in both feet with a shotgun -- and not even a double-barreled one, but a 24-barrel one. Yes, your opponents would be devastated, but so would you in equal measure, and no one would be left to win the war.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Literally no one wants a nuclear war, because there's nothing to gain: the moment anyone decides to send a nuke -- even a single one -- everyone else will do that, too, and that'll result in large portions of the world becoming uninhabitable. And, well, what use would large areas of uninhabitable land be to any country?

You can't have your citizens move in the contaminated zone, any sort of meaningful industry in the area would be impossible, you'd have to cull wildlife in the area so as for them not to spread any contaminated material around and you'd have a constant drain on resources from having to monitor the area. Not to mention that in a nuclear war, everyone would be targeting industrial zones, so as to cripple the opponent's ability to produce any meaningful resources, so once the war was over, you would be left with a country with lots of people but no industry.

There's also the risk of nuclear winter, which would be like shooting yourself in both feet with a shotgun -- and not even a double-barreled one, but a 24-barrel one. Yes, your opponents would be devastated, but so would you in equal measure, and no one would be left to win the war.

Mmmmm Mutually assured destruction...

Though I honestly don't think it matters if nukes are fired or not. There's enough fire power on all sides to decimate society with conventional weapons and cyberwarfare. We would be spared the radiological effects but we would be plunged back into the stone age. This is all assuming that this is a legitimate war between between super powers and not the proxy wars that have been fought for decades. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

If nukes started going off all electronics would be wiped out as well as communications and power grids. It would be like living in the early 1900s for any remaining survivors. If you could live without food and contaminated water.

Many many years ago, I got my hands on the 1980s designated targets for nuclear strikes by the (then) Soviet Union, against the US. I bought an atlas and started erasing parts of the US, based on the assumption every warhead hit the target.

Many of the targets were no surprise (Norfolk Naval Base for example) and some even came with biological strikes, but a handful of targets were out in BFE (towns with populations that measured in the hundreds) and I always wondered what was there that warranted a nuke...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Many many years ago, I got my hands on the 1980s designated targets for nuclear strikes by the (then) Soviet Union, against the US. I bought an atlas and started erasing parts of the US, based on the assumption every warhead hit the target.

Many of the targets were no surprise (Norfolk Naval Base for example) and some even came with biological strikes, but a handful of targets were out in BFE (towns with populations that measured in the hundreds) and I always wondered what was there that warranted a nuke...

If any were in Alaska, that's no surprise. Out closest state side bases to Russia are here, NORAD is here, all sorts of RADAR equipment and even the new F35s are up here. 

Tok might have been one that appears small, but is very important.

Little known fact, Japan did infact invade the US and hold land for a while in WW2, look up the Battle of Attu. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If any were in Alaska, that's no surprise. Out closest state side bases to Russia are here, NORAD is here, all sorts of RADAR equipment and even the new F35s are up here. 

Tok might have been one that appears small, but is very important.

Little known fact, Japan did infact invade the US and hold land for a while in WW2, look up the Battle of Attu. 

Yeah Alaska got hit hard (again, 1980s/cold war targets) but the tiny no-nothing towns were mostly along the gulf coast. I assumed some kind of gov't base for research, but I never did find out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 hours ago, Sarra said:

Getting nuked will probably lead to a brighter future for Oregon.

<--Is an Oregonner.

So Fallout:Salem? 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

8 hours ago, tire said:

if you have been reading the news as of late

Stop drinking the kool-aid

You have about a million other things to worry about other than a nuclear strike. And if there's ever one, there isn't anything you can do against it. There were a few close calls during the cold war, but that's it. We're far from being back into "cold war level" tensions.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

That might have been Cuba related. 

Russia is always pushing out buttons up here.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2020/10/20/norad-f-22s-intercept-russian-fighters-bombers-near-alaska/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, NekoBubbles said:

So Fallout:Salem? 

Zombie Army 5: Undead Hippies

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

11 hours ago, tire said:

Ok, first off, this is not to say that Russia is bad in any way, its just, if you have been reading the news as of late, Putin has been kind of threatening the UN.

Main question, are there any strategic targets in Oregon that would be of any use blowing up with a nuclear weapon, as I do not really want to die when the 2 military superpowers start fighting.

This is not to say Russian people are bad, I have some Russian friends, they are wonderful, so mods, don't take this post the wrong way

Yes you are doomed.

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Nuclear silos were in rural locations. Or it could be infrastructure like oil and gas. There are important sites all over the place that most of us never know about.