Facebook ads to become more pervasive with in-video ads

Jet_ski

Summary

Facebook is announcing some new capabilities for video advertisers on Facebook and Instagram, as well as Instagram Reels. The ads can be up to 30 seconds long.

The company says there are now 2 billion people each month who watch videos that are eligible for in-stream ads. It also says that 70% of in-stream ads are watched to completion, with its studies showing that by adding a Facebook In-Stream campaign to ad purchases that already include News Feed and Stories, advertisers saw a median 1.5x increase in ad recall.

Quotes

Looking at all the announcements together, Everson (who joined Facebook in 2011) said, “Frankly, for the last 10 years, I’ve been so excited for the moment where we are absolutely ready for prime time in our discussions of online video solutions for marketers. With our news that we are announcing today, we have more than arrived.”

My thoughts

Nobody should be surprised by this. But seriously Facebook is become like the cable companies. I wonder how long before the masses say enough is enough. I just hope we don’t have a repeat of the cable TV industry with social media platforms. Where every second of content is tied to a second of adverts.

Sources

https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/22/facebook-video-ad-growth-targeting/?soc_src=tcapp

Facebook is like cancer, wtf. Why can't none of the scumbags of companies not understand ads are not tolerated? I'll keep using noscript and uBlock. Seriously, fuck any website with ads! 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

45 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Companies still don't get the message that intrusive ads make people avoid their service. They still haven't learnt.

Yes, but stupid executives at these massive companies think, more ads, equals free money. Unfortunately, they failed to account for the loss of userbase over implementing those ads.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

If google search trends are anything to go by, facebook is losing relevance https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F02y1vz

Obviously not to say no one uses it anymore, but they are on a downward trend. For random example, twitter has been steady for a decade.

Facebook might be going down the route of milking the customer they have now all that they can. They've realized they are trending down and nothing they can do about it, so they know others will leave soon enough anyways, so its not much of a loss if anyone leaves "due to more ads", since the reality is they would be leaving soon anyways. This is what cable/satellite TV providers seem to be doing.

Ugh, and FB's ad-pushing is bad enough as it is. My feed is probably already 40% ads!

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

If google search trends are anything to go by, facebook is losing relevance https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F02y1vz

Obviously not to say no one uses it anymore, but they are on a downward trend. For random example, twitter has been steady for a decade.

Facebook might be going down the route of milking the customer they have now all that they can. They've realized they are trending down and nothing they can do about it, so they know others will leave soon enough anyways, so its not much of a loss if anyone leaves "due to more ads", since the reality is they would be leaving soon anyways. This is what cable/satellite TV providers seem to be doing.

I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Google trends looks at how often people are searching for the term through the search engine, not how many people are accessing the service. Given that over 80% of Facebook users use the service solely through the app, it makes sense that the amount of people searching the word "facebook" has trended down since 2010 - back when the main internet device for many people was still a laptop. You aren't seeing the drop of Facebook's importance in that graph - you're seeing the adoption of the smartphone.

Indeed, Facebook reported that they gained nearly 300 million new active users over the course of 2020 - just not from the US. The platform is still booming in other parts of the world - especially in Asia - and as such isn't going anywhere soon.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

1 hour ago, tim0901 said:

I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Google trends looks at how often people are searching for the term through the search engine, not how many people are accessing the service. Given that over 80% of Facebook users use the service solely through the app, it makes sense that the amount of people searching the word "facebook" has trended down since 2010 - back when the main internet device for many people was still a laptop. You aren't seeing the drop of Facebook's importance in that graph - you're seeing the adoption of the smartphone.

I believe the fact that twitter's search trend has remained stable for a decade disproves this theory.

6 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Facebook is like cancer, wtf. Why can't none of the scumbags of companies not understand ads are not tolerated? I'll keep using noscript and uBlock. Seriously, fuck any website with ads! 

Joe would they want to make money? Everyone now expects content on the internet to be free.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Joe would they want to make money? Everyone now expects content on the internet to be free.

There’s a balance, reasonable amount of ads is ok. But it sounds like Facebook plans on going full cable tv on us; too much ads for too little content.

7 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

I didn't say I want it for free?

And besides, even if we pay, we are still the product.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280