Tech Support asks for Personal Information

Blizzforte

He aksed for name, phone number, email, serial number and product number. Is this normal and safe? Should I give him these personal infos? 

For a tech product yes. I don't see why he doen't need this info.

He didnt ask for your credit card your fine

as long as you called them!!!

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Sounds like standard data collection for a support ticket.  They need to know who you are, what product you have and how to contact you.  

Just make sure you didn't do something like google "hp tech support" and call a random number from an ad.

Other than that, you're not really giving much info to go on.

Of those only name is personal information. Phone and email are contact information. They can be used to obtain personal information, but by themselves are not individually identifying. Product, model and serial numbers are required for checking their system for further information.

So overall, normal. If they would ask your address, gender, age and other details which aren't required to solve the issue, that would be problem.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, manikyath said:

what is the context?

did you call them, they call you, are you trying to make an RMA case or just asking a question, etc.

It's over Whatsapp.

8 minutes ago, Blizzforte said:

It's over Whatsapp.

oooh no, thats probably no good. If your calling tech support over Whatsapp, you probably shouldn't tell them anything other than your phone number or email if that. I've never seen official tech support do business over Whatsapp, but I could be incorrect. Just be very cautious.

12 minutes ago, IDontKnowLiterallyAnything said:

oooh no, thats probably no good. If your calling tech support over Whatsapp, you probably shouldn't tell them anything other than your phone number or email if that. I've never seen official tech support do business over Whatsapp, but I could be incorrect. Just be very cautious.

Reminds me of that scene in Mr. Robot when the main character pretended to be someone from the bank and tricked his target into giving away bank details lmao.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

1 minute ago, Fatih19 said:

Reminds me of that scene in Mr. Robot when the main character pretended to be someone from the bank and tricked his target into giving away bank details lmao.

lol reminds me of when that shitty movie "Hackers" from 1995 where he tricks the guy into giving the Mainframe's ip adress by talking like tech support lol

1 hour ago, Blizzforte said:

It's over Whatsapp.

That's not answering the question though ... did YOU contact them or did THEY contact you ?

You're trying to get tech support for what ?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

who is the company as a lot of companies use whatsapp in south asia

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Blizzforte said:

It's over Whatsapp.

Just make sure its really the company you are trying to reach. Whatsapp is used in lots of scams at the moment.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv