Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Idea:

Investigative journalism on Qemu-3DFX, the developer of Quem-3DFX has been accused of breaking the compile instructions to get "donations" to share a link to get Qemu-3DFX precompiled. There are FOSS projects that don't share the binary, but at least they don't have broken instructions. It wouldn't surprise me that even an upstream Qemu dev can't compile Qemu-3DFX.

what about using older vr tech on pc like psvr 1 or oculus go? or modding old flight sticks to work with vr

Dealing with, Mitigating, or avoiding security breaches and their potential countermeasures from an IT Managers/Business Owner's perspective.
(LMG's recent Youtube account hack)

We all know the best way to bounce back from a set back is to come back owning it and even benefiting from it in some form.

Would LMG consider doing a new video series covering the changes or adaptations they and by extension we could do or try to better combat, limit or mitigate the effectiveness and damage social engineering and malware can cause to a company.

I was thinking topics that could be covered without diving deep in to the cybersec can of worms, stuff everyday people, business owners/managers could look in to in order to strengthen their internal defenses against 'oopsie' moments such as

• Better training for staff (and what that training might cover)
  • Physical security options such as application specific work stations
    • Does it need to be Windows, could it be something else? what other viable options are there for that designated use case
  • User account limitations
  • Software choices;
    • Do we need to use Adobe acrobat/reader, can we get away with an alternative.
  • Sandboxing applications/suites such as PDF Readers, Office Software, Web browsers etc.
  • Airgapped workstations
  • network segregation between departments (Think VLANS, etc)

These are just some things I can think of as topics to touch on but I'm sure there's more out there.

I think a video series like this would be both interesting and educational for people in the field and vtubers alike, as it could shine a light on some of the things not everyone might be aware of both from an operational and technical point of view to help if not eliminate, heavily limit the effectiveness of such attacks.

Maybe a video on moving to a centralized IDP? I know y’all have and use Teams, which uses Azure AD, have you considered federating Google Workspace to Azure AD for the much stronger authentication methods and phishing resistant MFA available in AAD?

Pc build but in a random object as case
For example:- 

• Using a crt tv as the pc case
  • A pc inside a chair
  • Or a working vending machine pc, etc

(or)

Making a bluetooth/spotify/apple music supported mp3 player wristband or watch

On 3/22/2023 at 7:12 AM, clarksbrother said:

Heyo - someone here from ESPN. Yesterday during the live stream Linus answered a merch message regarding if he was interested in doing a deeper dive on broadcasting tech to which he answered pretty positively in the affirmative. I'm pretty uniquely positioned managing a lot of the on-air tech he specifically called out. If there's interest there, hit me up with a DM and I can reply back with my work contact info and I can work on connecting some dots. 

You should find his email and shoot him a message. I'm sure he would be interested!

You should make a video on making a home server that has airdrop so you can back up your phone every time you get home and keep your phone on you, but it also act as a processing so you can have it run tasks in the background, like AI and machine learning.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

I plan to upgrade within a few months to a proper computer.

13 hours ago, RonnieTiger said:

Dealing with, Mitigating, or avoiding security breaches and their potential countermeasures from an IT Managers/Business Owner's perspective.
(LMG's recent Youtube account hack)

We all know the best way to bounce back from a set back is to come back owning it and even benefiting from it in some form.

Would LMG consider doing a new video series covering the changes or adaptations they and by extension we could do or try to better combat, limit or mitigate the effectiveness and damage social engineering and malware can cause to a company.

I was thinking topics that could be covered without diving deep in to the cybersec can of worms, stuff everyday people, business owners/managers could look in to in order to strengthen their internal defenses against 'oopsie' moments such as

• Better training for staff (and what that training might cover)
  • Physical security options such as application specific work stations
    • Does it need to be Windows, could it be something else? what other viable options are there for that designated use case
  • User account limitations
  • Software choices;
    • Do we need to use Adobe acrobat/reader, can we get away with an alternative.
  • Sandboxing applications/suites such as PDF Readers, Office Software, Web browsers etc.
  • Airgapped workstations
  • network segregation between departments (Think VLANS, etc)

These are just some things I can think of as topics to touch on but I'm sure there's more out there.

I think a video series like this would be both interesting and educational for people in the field and vtubers alike, as it could shine a light on some of the things not everyone might be aware of both from an operational and technical point of view to help if not eliminate, heavily limit the effectiveness of such attacks.

To expand on this a little

Make a blue version of the LTT logo to represent blue team cyber defense
Make a channel called Linus Sec Tips (changing LTT to LST in the logo, or Linus Trust Tips and keep the LTT) you figure that out

Have some security pros in the organisation to harden your internal security, while simultaneously generating content for the channel monetising and increasing the internal value proposition of a larger security team.

Once fleshed out and established offer training and certification under LTT blue or whatever you call it to give the cyber security industry an injection of people based on the tech enthusiast audience and resource pool at your fingertips.

You could then audit and certify your own staff at cost with world class training to increased standards you can make for yourself.

if I was in your situation that's what id be doing anyway, use what didn't kill you to make you stronger.

Framework recently announced they would be coming out with AMD main boards for their laptops. I'm sure you didn't miss that being invested and all but I think a comparison between the Intel and AMD version would be really informative. (When they are out of course so in 6 or 7 months time)

Following the recent events (the hackening) It's been mentioned the motherboard and harddrive needs to be destroyed. Their destruction need to be in a video, at least make it a floatplane exclusive. Back in the days of music tv channels we had a show that just reviewed the worse music CDs and destroyed them at the end of the show in a creative way.

For fellow people from Québec I am refering to "Le cimetière des cd".

Recently lost my blizzard account to a hacker and was able to regain control in just a few hours due to the extremely helpful staff. i was wondering due to recent events if it might be worth challenging some game companies to see how long if at all it would take to get an account recovery.

4 hours ago, TheAleas said:

Following the recent events (the hackening) It's been mentioned the motherboard and harddrive needs to be destroyed. Their destruction need to be in a video, at least make it a floatplane exclusive. Back in the days of music tv channels we had a show that just reviewed the worse music CDs and destroyed them at the end of the show in a creative way.

For fellow people from Québec I am refering to "Le cimetière des cd".

Was the malware known to be able to survive a format?

You guys should do an LTT video on the Oxford Nanopore MinION DNA sequencer. It's a $1,000 USB-stick DNA sequencer that plugs into any laptop/desktop and allows on-the-fly, real-time DNA sequencing for absurdly cheap cost.  See https://nanoporetech.com/products/minion & https://nanoporetech.com/support/how-it-works#fullVideo&modal=fullVideo

It's pretty revolutionary, and honestly absurdly cool tech that is being deployed across multiple fields from cancer genomics, ecological research, infectious disease, and education. It's so robust and versatile that is has been utilized in the jungle, in the outback, in the arctic, in space, etc.

A nice tie-in to your main audience is that it requires CUDA or Metal-based Pytorch inferencing to convert raw data to actual DNA bases (they have written pre-built ML models that work with everything from an M1 all the way to an A100 GPU). See https://github.com/nanoporetech/dorado

In any case, they're a pretty savvy and nimble company. Based on our experience with them, they would almost certainly give you a free kit to make a video.

You could sequence Linus' DNA on camera 😄

Idea:

It seems like some team member like to create music. It would be nice to have a video about music production with scalability in mind. It could be targeted to enthusiasts who like to create and record music and want to take it to the next level. The channel already features tons of information about audio hardware. Also, I can't imagine watching some of the team playing instruments not being entertaining, and a good opportunity to plan the release of  the Christmas album pt. 2 (joking pls don't). Greetings and keep up the good work. 

Hi All,

LONG time lurker, been following the channel for years. Finally felt like I had something to contribute but let me tell you its a big one and i have no idea how it would go together, I'm off the back of a full night tech-ing and this could simply be a cry to the industry for something to happen. Something has happened: the Peakdo 60GHz mm-Wave handheld gaming device, which is shipping its kickstarter right now. I was a super early backer and if it arrives theres about a million scenarios I do not have the time or the budget or the knowledge to do.

Can I link? 

You've covered Peakdo Before, they did that wireless HDMI adapter which you seemed to love a year ago. The internet did - 4.5million youtube views. Looking at Linus' house updates, doesn't look like he used it for anything, shame. ETA Prime and Taki Udon have both covered this new device (~100,000 views) but I don't think they really saw its potential. I do but it took me years of lurking to get here.

Youtube Vids Here and Here. The comments certainly didn't get it, at least on Taki's. The wireless only covers one room they said! You love wireless data transmission, I've seen your video on your wireless internet, and that wireless gpu? Hilarious! This is taking that concept to the max. And also i read somewhere that it may even have a hdmi out so its got so much potential.

the tl:dr is that this thing plus the right adapters and the right know-how is the perfect home companion to your pc if you're like me and came to PC from consoles. It's a mini wireless HDMI TV with joycon rails. The Controllers will have more latency than the screen. Joycons through blueretro can connect to anything and everything has a hdmi - even old consoles are modded to have them. Steam can map the motion controls of the joycon - true handheld wii games? What's a Wii U? Don't even get me started on FPGA boards. 7" and 1080p is perfect for handheld gaming and I stress its a WIRELESS TV WITH NO LATENCY AND NO COMPRESSION, the possibilities are limitless. You will be able to use it forever, even beyond when your Joy cons are old and drifty. new joy cons and a new PC and you are good to go.

What other creators seem to miss when covering this device is this potential. Better android gaming experience using your daily driver phone? Android Emulation only held back by the latency of Joy cons, something that can be swapped out later? want your foldable to be bigger? Did I mention they updated the kickstarter so it will have a Touchscreen which ALSO connects over mm wave?! Will it work with android phones? I'm hoping so. What about the steam deck? What about the steam deck with external GPUs? Want to max your steam deck at home but don't want to wear out it's battery? Peakdo has you covered. Want to max out your tired Switch so it plays Pokemon Unite at 60fps but want to keep it in your hand with 2 extra inches? Don't we all...

I'm sure the wizards at LMG can think of even more. pair it with a chromecast or nividia shield TV for tiny TV delights. Use Steam's recently redesigned Steam Big Picture for a fully modular steam deck (Minus the screen). I read one comment on 60GHz and it doesn't go through walls because it was never designed to.It goes through people just fine. Some combination of this and a framework laptop (hows that case for your old main board looking Linus, any chance you can throw a battery and a gpu on there, throw it in a very correctly made bag (lttstore.com) and you have the best on the go setup you could ask for. Do you guys not have plug sockets in your car? Car Gaming PC plus this is better than the Steam Deck) Imagine breaking out of your LAN party and you're now having a sofa LAN with your buds, everyone still powered by that PC goodness. But playing that XBLA version of Rare's HD Goldeneye. Better than the switch, its got modern controls!. Don't even get me started on Emulation. Zero latency device means as soon as your computer can emulate it full speed, so can you from your bed. Could be that 60fps Pokemon Arceus mod, only available on PC. Well not at all at the minute but thats that grey area for you. But you could be powered by anything the future throws at you. Long gaming session? Its also got a long HDMI cable. In 1 room away from your rig? In wall HDMI plus wireless adapter. Keyboard and mouse game? 3d print an attachment for all those roccat sovas you bought up.(I have one too, love it!). I feel this thing didnt get the attention it deserved, and maybe the best is still yet to come for it. Only 177 backers - maybe not enough for this to take off. It gets hot too apparently (which they've fixed maybe?) so feel free to water cool it lads.

All I know is I am going to love playing LEGO 2k on it. 1080p, 60fps, in bed. Or in a bath, I seem to remember Linus loved using the Handheld Shield in there. of course, this works with that too.... you get the idea. All I ask is I do as much as I can to keep this dream alive. There are many just like it, but gaming in bed is mine. By writing this post I can now sleep.

UPDATE: The project had 177 backers, not 30k...

First the channels is great. I think some softwares review, like. Spotify x Apple Music x Pandora, or what softwares are good for maintanence and performance. What software to update your Bios or software to make overclock. 

I think you have use most of this softwares, so your expireince and suggestion my help. 

Xeon old chips to get now from old severs from Ali express, not everyone has 5.000,00 US dollars to upgrade, so some of this may help.

Good luck!!

Thanks and good to have you back!

A practical (reasonably priced) way to set up your PC in another room.

The videos where we see this happen are with components that collectively cost more than an actual computer.

I would hope there are better priced and yet viable options.

12 minutes ago, Paladin2016 said:

A practical (reasonably priced) way to set up your PC in another room.

The videos where we see this happen are with components that collectively cost more than an actual computer.

I would hope there are better priced and yet viable options.

This would be awesome

Hi, so an interesting air-gapped exploit for the Google Home has been discovered by scientists after having been exploited by hackers for years and it involves ultrasonic sound.  By playing voice recordings over ultrasonic recordings, bad actors have cancelled the set wake-up alarms of unsuspecting victims while leaving seemingly silent voice data to be heard when playing back user's commands.  This often followed bad feedback left on Google devices and would mimic an error on Google's part as no command would seemingly be given.

It was only recently that more official scientists have discovered and disclosed the vulnerability to the public.  But it certainly causes for concern for anyone who's smart home is under full control by user voice as anyone with the "Audacity" to take advantage of this could easily modify a normal voice recording to play in the ultrasonic range with users being none-the-wiser outside of ringing in their ears in the middle of the night and suddenly upset pets.

Hi Linus Tech Tips!

I just wanted to ask can LTT make a Powerful AMD Server And run Minecraft on it! And Get so many peoples to join and hopefully Revive Minecraft a Little Bit!

Hard to see a game that is the game that i raised up on is dying again

By: Ervin

Discord:antalervin19#1929

pardon me, these are suggestions for LTT Labs and not ideas for specific videos:

For LTT Labs, set up a ratings system, perhaps that you standardize with other tech influencers. Try to find somewhat objective metrics to apply to device classes, and assign an A,B,C,D,F rating based on how they perform. Obviously anything in your lab will be rated in some way/shape/form anyway, but I'm suggesting to stick to a standardized "letter grade". For instance, if you review a bluetooth device and find that it spontaneously disconnects 10% of the time, that would count for some level of demerit. If a particular cable falls out of spec and can't deliver 4K-60 or a thunderbolt cable cannot deliver the advertised speed, it gets, say, 2 letter demerits. Once you start reviewing enough hardware, you could have an LTT app that scans the SKU of any device and looks up the full review as performed by your lab, along with the overall rating. If you collaborated with other trusted reviewers, you could essentially "open source" the review criterion and (in theory) anyone else would produce the same results.

Ionic Plasma Thrust CPU Cooler!

I just found out that you can get PCIE cards that are just really massive FPGAs that are marketed towards data centres to accelerate whatever workloads that you can write HDL for. Cards like the Xilinx Alveo U250 (you can buy Azure instances that have this card). There doesn't seem to be much consumer facing content for these cards that I could find, so I thought it might be a cool if LTT could take a look at these in a video.

I have no idea whether the HDL for these cards need to be provided by the buyer or whether the vendor provides certain models, etc. 

I wish video topic about Streaming in 8K