Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Could test bulletproof pc case which is either self made or bought. For example having titanium plates for walls and some inner suspension to lessen the impact smack to the fragile components within. Might double as drop resistant case.

Hey ltt can you release a video where luke talks about computer science and explains to students as to what difficulties and benefits they are of studying it. It can also be a techquickie video instead where luke just explains the basics of comp sci.

Thanks

Hey LTT,

I work in Cybersecurity as an Incident Responder, and one of the most frequent questions I get from friends/family is "which anti-virus is best", or "should I use a VPN". Unfortunately, there is little to no ability for the average consumer (both individuals and companies) to evaluate one product against another, and people are often left to believe marketing material. This is where I think LTT/LTT Labs might be able to significantly contribute to the online community, by making easy to understand videos on the basics of what some different security products actually do (Antivirus/VPN/Firewalls etc.) and actually test the products so that people can make an informed decision. I've seen so many friends/family members paying for products they don't need, or missing key pieces of security (wifi with no password, having all their passwords the same), and with your reach and ability to explain complex topics for people to understand, you'd be doing the internet a whole a service by doing this.

Water cool an air cooler. 

Take a giant air cooler and remove the fans. 

Put the motherboard "upside down" over a bucket full of water so the CPU cooler is submerged in water. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Water cool an air cooler. 

Take a giant air cooler and remove the fans. 

Put the motherboard "upside down" over a bucket full of water so the CPU cooler is submerged in water. 

Something like:

?

I edit my posts more often than not

2 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

Something like:

?

Probably

Gaming on Windows tablets. 

In 2015~ razer had a window gaming tablet. 

Nowadays there's a number of Windows tablets that aren't "Windows switch" devices so to speak.

I think it'd be interesting to look at some old windows tablet devices that cost like $1k~ at the time and then some low cost tablet devices today. 

Yeah desktop is still the best, but tablets are super small even compared to laptops and two in one. 

And Android/iPad tablets do have quite a few games but they don't have steam. 

A YouTube short on where all the scrapyard war PCs are would be cool. 

I recall semi recently (past 5 years) the custom duck hunt painted case was still in use. 

As the newest Video just featured a keyboard review, maybe a more comprehensive guide on keyboards? We've seen that there are lots of enthusiasts in LTT and I really want to get into the whole "build your own" thing. So a basic "guide" on what to get, things to watch out for etc. would be perfect. A few quick tips on the side would be much appreciated as well. 

Just a thought tho 🙂

I purchased a UGREEN brand USB Bluetooth "5.3" Adapter on Amazon UK that was a scam - when you plug it into your Windows PC, Windows assigns it a 2006 (Bluetooth 2.0) driver! It seems no one on the Amazon reviews can get it to use Bluetooth 5.3 and UGREEN support aren't helping. Not sure if I can link stuff but its amazon ID on Amazon CA is B09DK8NK6G. Weirdly there seems to be some paid reviews, and some of the reviews refer to it as a "Bluetooth 5.2" adapter, so it looks like UGREEN have also reused an old listing for this adapter as well.

Therefore a video idea could be to review this USB Adapter - especially since UGREEN sponsored LTT, and find out if it's actually got Bluetooth 5.3 in it, and if there's a way to actually get it to use Bluetooth 5.3. Similarly, a video which reviewed all the Bluetooth USB adapters would be good. Thanks!

I recently got the 27 inch LG OLED and noticed that there are pixelation and lines on content like YouTube videos, it is really distracting and I didn't see it on my LED monitor.

I was told that is a common issue with OLEDs, Here is a picture of one of your videos. Could you do a video on this? Post image

Given that there are already a lot of publicly available AI modes which you can run and even train locally to some extend (Stable Diffusion for images, Llama/alpaca/vicuna etc. for text), you can make a great review on performance of different hardware for these tasks. What are the minimum CPU, RAM or VRAM requirements to run anything at all? What can you run on the best available consumer hardware (like RTX 4090)? Just for fun, maybe train the best language model you possibly can on consumer hardware based on a decade of LTT scripts? 🙂

Could LMG please do a video looking into if CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) Ethernet cable is as bad as everyone says it is or is it all just to get you to spend more money. Everyone says don't use it but then why does it exist.  

Hi, I just wanted to give an Idea about a Video.
How about another one of those Tech-Upgrades. But this time, it would be for the youtube channel @EverydayAstronaut. He live streams rocket launches, and maybe could use a little assistance with his setup.

Thanks for your attention.

Would love to see a product review of this guy:

Apex X21 Destroyer

On 4/15/2023 at 5:26 PM, ignorantForager said:

Maybe this has been asked / covered already (I did a quick search of the channel, but didn't find anything), but a video (probably a FAP) about what the most important settings to adjust for games would be interesting. Things such as Anti-Aliasing, Motion Blur, etc. Sort of a "What's it do? What should it be set to? (generally)" type of video. It's been a while since I've been into actually gaming with my PC, so I don't remember what all the settings should be.

We've got a video like that!

On 4/16/2023 at 4:24 PM, AiAsh said:

I purchased a UGREEN brand USB Bluetooth "5.3" Adapter on Amazon UK that was a scam - when you plug it into your Windows PC, Windows assigns it a 2006 (Bluetooth 2.0) driver! It seems no one on the Amazon reviews can get it to use Bluetooth 5.3 and UGREEN support aren't helping. Not sure if I can link stuff but its amazon ID on Amazon CA is B09DK8NK6G. Weirdly there seems to be some paid reviews, and some of the reviews refer to it as a "Bluetooth 5.2" adapter, so it looks like UGREEN have also reused an old listing for this adapter as well.

Therefore a video idea could be to review this USB Adapter - especially since UGREEN sponsored LTT, and find out if it's actually got Bluetooth 5.3 in it, and if there's a way to actually get it to use Bluetooth 5.3. Similarly, a video which reviewed all the Bluetooth USB adapters would be good. Thanks!

Did you try the rudimentary instructions on their website?

Q1: Please disable/uninstall any Bluetooth related devices and reboot your PC before using the UGREEN 5.3 Bluetooth adapter.
1. Press Win + X and select Device Manager from the menu options.
2. Expand the Bluetooth option by double-clicking on it.
3. Right-click your PC's Bluetooth driver and select Disable device.
4. Restart your PC when you finish.

I'm curious because I've had crap luck with every Bluetooth device I've ever bought. I think Bluetooth in general sucks, hopefully it "matures" eventually. After all, it's only been around for 20 years.

I mentioned this in another thread but... 
In today's video regarding the GT 1030 GDDR5 card, it was mentioned that the lab wasn't able to get their hands on a DDR4 version of the card as of the time the video was written and shot. I so happen to have one such DDR4 card in my NAS sitting a foot away from me that I'd be willing to lend and/or sell to the lab if desired for a follow up video or for use in future content of some kind. 
Happy to discuss why I chose it as well. 

Criticize companies for disposable non-biodegradable packing materials. Including the plastic peels that may be satisfying for people but.... It doesn't contribute anything useful and is a forever burden to landfills and stuff. 

I know you, Linus hate unnecessary waste. And it doesn't add any value to a product, so even if a peel is one hundredth of a cent, it's not required. 

Even like zip lock bags can be replaced with paper. 

Not the plastic coated paper but regular. 

I doubt you'd take an aggressive stance, but noting the package contents and what brands are actually putting less waste would sway my purchase as I grow older. 

I had 3 different GPU now, (all of which I sold to be reused) and I have no reason to care for my new GPU coming with a PCI lane contacts protector. I don't need plastic peels on the center circle of my GPU fans. 

We did away with the CD which would arguably add value but we kept plastic things that slot into the HDMI port. 

16 minutes ago, fpo said:

Including the plastic peels that may be satisfying for people but

Peels aren't there because they're satisfying, they're there to prevent damage during production - if they weren't there there would likely be a lot more waste as stuff gets thrown out or returned because of a simple scratch the peel prevents. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Peels aren't there because they're satisfying, they're there to prevent damage during production - if they weren't there there would likely be a lot more waste as stuff gets thrown out or returned because of a simple scratch the peel prevents. 

Then make it so people can get over a micro scratch in some way. 

OLED is finally becoming a thing but burn in is still the burning question in everyone's minds.

RTINGS is doing a large scale experiment but their results and analysis so far hasn't shown any conclusive results that explain why some tv's burn in while others don't. A lot of Sony tv's are burning in while the LG tv's aren't (yet) but they're using the same panels in many cases all produced by LG. The compensation patterns seem to do very little.

Meanwhile manufactures keep pushing firmware updates for oled panels that are heavily tweaking brightness and Samsung notably is very aggressive about dimming the S95B.

There is lots of evidence suggesting that oled pixels degrade from heat. See the following article regarding oled degradation: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0379677915301193#:~:text=Heat generation in the OLED,layers and non-radiative recombination.

If heat is a major factor in burn in then it makes sense why the manufacturers are trying to dial back the brightness on their panels and why the manufacturer with the brightest running panels are experiencing the most burn in despite using the same panels as Samsung/LG. One of Sony's burn in mitigations on their qd-oled tv was a heat dispersal layer.

This all obviously leads to one conclusion: Water cooled OLED TV. Two+ TV's of the same model known for burn in risk, water cool one, torture test them all to see if cooling the oled panel improves the burn in situation.

...might be a little crazy and irrelevant for a TV but if water cooling a oled monitor allows for using it in general use without concern over burn in? That's kind of huge... Might also convince manufacturers to stop chasing ever thinner display that bend/break from a light breeze and stick some additional cooling back there. 

Hello there. 

I've been a constant viewer of LTT and all the other channels since 2013 or so. First time on the forums, though. I read that I can use this thread to suggest a video idea. 

I love ultrawide monitors, and have two. But I have always wanted a "5k2k" ultrawide TV, and have kept an eye on that market. There isn't much, but it has come to my attention that Jupiter (?) has an 81", 21:9, 5120x2160 ultrawide monitor. It is designed as an enterprise solution, and I don't expect it to be good as a TV. But what about it being the main display for a gaming / movie / study room? What amazed me is that it is somewhat affordable, at $4,500 in b&h photo.

While I don't see myself spending almost $5k on a gamble that may or may not pay off, is this something you can explore?

I may be the only one that wants such a display configuration for home use, but if you guys did an exploration on the topic, you may find other similar products, why they work, or why nobody should buy them outside of a niche usecase. At the very least, others like me, who have no idea of this option's existence, may find it thanks to your vast exposure. 

Idk, I just really want it to be good and buy it for myself.

Cheers!!

Edited by RobFormula1

How about a review of this "gaming" standing shelf unit!?

https://a.co/d/fvlshXn

You know.. for science.  I'd love to see Linus' face when he unboxes that.

Keep Learning
2023-Present: Senior Technical Advisor

2020-2023: Communication Infrastructure Engineer & Project Manager

2015-2020: Senior Systems Administrator

2013-2015: Server/Network Architecture Engineer

2011-2013: Systems Administrator