Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I always had some doubts about the FPS counter overlays and how accurate (or even biased?) they are  + some suspicion of foul play between the two companies on strange behaviors FPS/frame spikes/frame times/lows etc especially on synthetic benchmarks  but not limited to,I could  elaborate on that (and if it will increase the chance of making a video I will just ask me 😛 ) but it will take a wall post maybe two wall posts as to why I believe that, it mainly has to do with hardware architecture/performance/specifications versus workload that should have theoretically better results or worse results depending on the individual scenario, yes I know what "optimization" "gameengines""drivers" etc are but as I said I need a wall post for that. 

So I always wanted to do something (but dont have linus money 😛 ) to put an end to this struggle once and for all. 

Get two identical very high refreshrate (240 + Hz or even better 360hz, supers ambling to 4k should be used to shift the load to the GPUs since that kind of monitors are limited to 1080p as far as I know) low latency monitors put them side by side (or one and then just change GPUs on the test rig) run a sufficient amount of ingame gameplay and synthetic benchmarks  but have/borrow (e.g from the #Slow Mo Guys you could make a colab 😛 ) an ultra high speed camera like a phantom for recording the footage of the monitors

Then count the frames from the footage and see if your count agrees with the FPS overlay/benchmark result. (you can play with the camera speed to make your life easier while counting the footage e.g if the game is showing up 60-100 FPS anyway you just could set the camera to record at 200ish FPS) 

This video could also double as a graphics quality test (as a closer for the vid)  between the two brands (but this needs two identical monitors side by side  atleast 1440p/depending on the size of the monitor with chroma 4:4:4 great RGB coverage and contrast)  because there are some strange things I observed in this particular field too as I mentioned in this topic  (there are websites and youtube videos e.g TechYesCity commenting on similar findings and are mentioned in the topic as well) 

A perfect system for both scenarios but mainly for the first would consist of a 5950X (to eliminate any CPU bottlenecks) a low latency high frequency (3600 cl14 is the best/sweetspot ) dual rank + dual channel memory(preferably covering all 4 slots)  kit that preferably exceeds the vram amount of the GPU since windows and the game are going to bind some of it (so at least  32GB of it just to be sure) for SAM to take full effect and obviously the two recent flagships of AMD and nvidia (would be shame to use something slower than that for the first test but obviously it is not necessary) . also just to be sure that nothing is going to introduce latency etc a high IOPS and high read write speed nvme for windows and the games. 

Thanks for reading. 

I'll be interested to see a video where you guys make a budget home security setup with budget cameras and I'll leave an Amazon link but I've seen CCTV setups where they have One DVR and then they have four cameras included around $200 so I was wondering if you could do a budget home security with a doorbell in everything ties in https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cctv&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I loved Anthonys Linux videos.

Browsing around YT there are plenty of videos that are covering specific problems but there is 0 professionaly made content with LTT quality on this operating system.

World is leaning into privacy more and more every year and more people are reaching for Linux. Im 100% sure that Linus Torvalds would be down to participate in some video down the road if you would show interest in this topic.

I would like a series about Linux. Simply, different distros starting from Ubuntu, going to Mint, Fedora and others. It may be a mini series, may be an entire open source youtube channel driven by Anthony. He is the man for the job and I think community would benefit from that.

1. Start with something simple, you already have basic videos, maybe dive a little deeper into how to actually prepare flashable drive etc.

2. Then show advantages, different programms

3. Prepare tests on battery life/cpu usage/ram usage, compare it to windows and macos

4. Build overkill Linux system for 10k$ - brings a pair of eyeballs.

Linux is so big only imagination will keep you closed

cheers

5 hours ago, IamMercz said:

I loved Anthonys Linux videos.

Browsing around YT there are plenty of videos that are covering specific problems but there is 0 professionaly made content with LTT quality on this operating system.

World is leaning into privacy more and more every year and more people are reaching for Linux. Im 100% sure that Linus Torvalds would be down to participate in some video down the road if you would show interest in this topic.

I would like a series about Linux. Simply, different distros starting from Ubuntu, going to Mint, Fedora and others. It may be a mini series, may be an entire open source youtube channel driven by Anthony. He is the man for the job and I think community would benefit from that.

1. Start with something simple, you already have basic videos, maybe dive a little deeper into how to actually prepare flashable drive etc.

2. Then show advantages, different programms

3. Prepare tests on battery life/cpu usage/ram usage, compare it to windows and macos

4. Build overkill Linux system for 10k$ - brings a pair of eyeballs.

Linux is so big only imagination will keep you closed

cheers

I think for "normal" people (not tech geeks like most visitors of this forum), the most likely reason to switch to Linux is to prolong a lifespan of some really old laptops or desktops (late Core 2 Duo - early Core i... ). Those are pretty much unusable under Windows but Linux could give them another 2-3 years of useful life. I think looking at Linux from this perspective might be more realistic or relevant than some crazy 10 grant Linux system (on such a powerful system, even the worst OS in the world with the most bloat will work just fine, it's not even interesting to look at, IMHO).

you can post a video about building pc but with super hard challenge in one challenge if you didn't put one given part (gpu) in the motherboard blind folded 10 - 50 dollars penalty like that you can create tough challenges to linus and give him a given part and tell him to build a pc  

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

I'm a computer science student in central California, and one of my teachers is really struggling with ability of his rig to keep up with something as simple as being able to share his screen and have his webcam in general. I was thinking Linus might be able to pitch the idea to his sponsors that's sort of like the ROG rig reboot, but for teachers! I think the sponsors would love to be able to grab the good press from something like that during this time where many teachers are struggling with this online format!

13 minutes ago, BroCreed said:

I'm a computer science student in central California, and one of my teachers is really struggling with ability of his rig to keep up with something as simple as being able to share his screen and have his webcam in general. I was thinking Linus might be able to pitch the idea to his sponsors that's sort of like the ROG rig reboot, but for teachers! I think the sponsors would love to be able to grab the good press from something like that during this time where many teachers are struggling with this online format!

ps he uses linux as his OS so Anthony would love to get in on it I'm sure

Hello there, 

First time poster, long-ish time viewer. 

Forgive me, I am new to posting on the forum - so if I get this wrong, please accept my advance apologies. 

I live in Sydney and wanted to know if LTT or one of the other channels would be interested in reviewing Espresso Displays. If you are not aware, they have developed an excellent product that I think viewers would be interested in: it is a portable secondary display. I know Linus reviewed a product like this ages ago - years in fact - so I thought Espresso Displays might be worth a look at again, given how much time has passed but also **gestures everywhere** working from home specifically and away from the office generally will be something we do for a while longer. 

My biases: I work at the university that the founders studied and I think very highly of them. 

In any event, I hope this is enough information to investigate and pursue - thanks for your consideration. 

Dr Comrade 

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

WINDOWS ON ANDROID 

OK so let me explain:
I found out that it's 100% possible to install windows XP/7/10 on an Android. I have a SG9+. Almost everything runs on this thing. But for some reason I can't get past the installation of windows xp then it tells me it can't find the C:\ drive. well I did all that and I'm still lost. I went back changed it and Limbo crashed. I have no idea what I'm doing with Boschs or whatever it's called. 

I've seen like 10 different videos doing all the things I did and I'm completely lost. I posted about it on the forums and I think if anyone can make a good LTT or Short Circuts video on it, I think it'd be you guys, likely Anthony more cause he seems the most tech savvy. 

I'm doing this cause I wanna install the sims complete collection. Any advice any help is wanted. So far it's the only and biggest post on my page on the forum. I would love to see you guys do a video on this. 

I make videos about games and stuff. 
Gamecast once a while - youtube.com/tarrabyte if you like things that I like. 

Hey

A stupid and meme-y idea for a video.

Downloading RAM

It would be a Linux video, I only know how it would work on Linux. Not sure if Windows allows Pages to be written on a Drive.

1. Use Google Drive

2. Mount it as swapfs

3. ????

4. Downloaded RAM

If this works it would not be functional but still you downloaded RAM. And some great Meme potential

As an extended idea, why not build/use a local SSD storage server and use it to host the swapfs. So it still is somewhat downloading RAM

On 11/5/2020 at 8:04 PM, Downkey said:

A video showing how far Ryzen has come would be cool.
(For Ex. 1800x vs 5800x) (1600x vs 5600x) 
Also a comparison of a ryzen 3 1200 vs a 5950x would be pretty funny.

still think this is a good idea

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

The 12 core intel CPU no one knows about - INTEL Atom C3808 - maybe a micro gaming pc featuring this CPU.

There's nothing to be found on this CPU except the official intel page. 

Maybe a pretty good project for Anthony ?

26 minutes ago, KROCK said:

The 12 core intel CPU no one knows about - INTEL Atom C3808 - maybe a micro gaming pc featuring this CPU.

There's nothing to be found on this CPU except the official intel page. 

Maybe a pretty good project for Anthony ?

It's a (relatively old at this point) ultra low power server chip, it's not even the highest end chip in its own series... there's the 16 core Atom C3958 too.

Both would be awful for the use case you propose 🤔 even provided you could find a motherboard that supports it and isn't intended for 1U rack servers.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Using a NAS for a steam library. 

During the wife personal rig upgrade Linus lamented the lack of sata devices on PCs recently, and if you have large storage needs you should be using a NAS/server. I recently went ITX and I’m finding it hard to fit a 3.5 HDD drive without some significant compromises.

Using the LTT infrastructure you could compare 1/2.5/10/40 gbps network connections for a remote Steam library. Taking server capability into consideration too would be great. Will a pair of RAID 1 HDDs be sufficient, or do you need more discs or SSD caching to not be a step backwards vs a local spinning disc. There’s even more technical considerations like OS choice impacted read latency if you really wanted to be thorough. 

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

how about teaching how you can safely upgrade pre builts lol like what to look for on the motherbnoard to upgrade like ram or cpu and all that jazz. im technologically maladaptive

I would like to see a test about wired keyboard and mouse latency when used on various usb hubs. For example, embedded keyboard usb ports, monitor usb hubs, docking stations, usb cable extensions etc.

Another budget pc built with an GT 1030? Idk how it currently looks like in the US and in Canada but in Germany, there are only the new and/or pricey Graphics Card in stock while everything else is not available.. (with the exception of the GT 1030/730/710)

Basically in the title, but basically I was thinking could you 3D print some if not most of the parts for water cooling? Obviously you can't do some parts, but things like tubes, fittings and maybe even water blocks could be possible. Idk I think it would be fun to watch especially if they used dual extrusion to give it a bit more LTT flair

I probably hold the record for the least number of posts to get Linus to respond to me :)

i've done it, here's the short of it:

yes, it works, but over the course of days the print will let A LOT of water sweat out.

Also, most 3D printable plastics arent suitable to come anywhere near the main heat producing components (cpu, gpu, vrm, ..)

past that, 3D prints are very brittle in the Z-axis, and it's extremely difficult to print anything circular in the other directions, so to make a fitting you're essentially always printing in the weakest direction.

so.. all in all.. it's a lot of work, for something that will be very weak and very low durability. besides that.. LTT has the tools to CNC the parts out of propper materials. essentially the only part of a loop where 3D printing really makes sense is in mounting brackets.

Linus could you test the DGX Station a100.  

1)  Bring in some of your server pals to give it a real workout regarding AI.  

2)  Try to run every game possible on it 

3)  Attach a bunch of monitors to it to see what happens when you run games at 8k res 

4)  Add the Optane variant of the Liquid Honey Badger to it to see if you can speed up performance.  

5)  Switch out dram for higher capacity dram and check performance.  

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've done it, here's the short of it:

yes, it works, but over the course of days the print will let A LOT of water sweat out.

Also, most 3D printable plastics arent suitable to come anywhere near the main heat producing components (cpu, gpu, vrm, ..)

past that, 3D prints are very brittle in the Z-axis, and it's extremely difficult to print anything circular in the other directions, so to make a fitting you're essentially always printing in the weakest direction.

so.. all in all.. it's a lot of work, for something that will be very weak and very low durability. besides that.. LTT has the tools to CNC the parts out of propper materials. essentially the only part of a loop where 3D printing really makes sense is in mounting brackets.

I've had good success printing out things very similar to tubes horizontally albeit they were quite small, but the water sweating out is a concern. I wonder if it could be alleviated types of filament.

I probably hold the record for the least number of posts to get Linus to respond to me :)

5 minutes ago, wackoman6789 said:

I've had good success printing out things very similar to tubes horizontally albeit they were quite small, but the water sweating out is a concern. I wonder if it could be alleviated types of filament.

the way to work around it is to overextrude, fix the margins that were screwed by overextruding, sanding it flat, and then coating it in latex paint. in other words, not worth the time if you have a CNC in the next office over.