Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hey LTT!

With your recent episode covering the improved efficiency of the new 12v-only PSU standard - it got me thinking... Can you do a head-to-head with multiple PSUs connected to a kill-a-watt to see how much power they draw for the same setup? Obviously, more efficient PSUs would draw less power - but by how much and at what loads (casual, creative/gaming, mining) do they really shine?

An ancillary hypothesis is that lower-grade PSUs would supply 'dirtier' power to the mainboard components, generating excess heat. If you aimed to standardize CPU/GPU temps as well, would draw more power for cooling - in a partial run-away effect - but again, to what degree. Of course, with this test, if there were any metric to determine 'wear' of components, you could really make the case for high-quality power supplies.

On the video about the Asus 360hz monitor I'd like to know the visual difference between my old Asus 24" 144hz and the new 360hz.

Hi all. Hope everyone is well. 

I know that  LTT is a big fan of Unraid, but would really like to know your thoughts on Xpenology especially in comparison to Unraid. 

is this something you could

do in an episode. 

Also, is there a LTT vid on Unraid ?

New build CPU benchmark : time the compilation and launch of a Linux distribution.

17 hours ago, Marcjwebb said:

Also, is there a LTT vid on Unraid ?

Merged to video suggestions. And no, if you are asking for guide. There's couple videos where they are using it for the project at hand.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, Marcjwebb said:

but would really like to know your thoughts on Xpenology especially in comparison to Unraid. 

They've made a video about it. It's great since DSM is, but can be a major pain to select specific hardware that works with it and install it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Request some manufacturer to send you couple hundred boxes for top end GPUs (unassembled ofc) and casually "expose" yourself to have Pallet full of 3080s or something in the warehouse as joke as part of some other gpu-related video. Upcoming reviews of 30X series perhaps? ;)

Or.. just build a fort out of them and use it as intro for the video 😃

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask this.

Linus did a video about the speeds of SSD's "Does a Faster SSD Matter for Gamers??" and with the new way RTX cards are getting the data from the SSD direct, would linus be willing to test if the speed now makes a difference in SSDs, my take from that video was for gamers and most people you really couldn't tell, but with the new RTX, this may change.

This is just something I am interested in thats all,

You're going to have to wait a few months until there are actually games that can make use of it...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

i wonder if the new cod will use its full potential

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Make an RGB Backlit macbook keyboard.

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

On 8/27/2020 at 8:24 AM, VegetableStu said:

CGPGrey has a vastly individualistic satellite crew. his collaborators all have other main jobs and only come to work on a video when Grey gives a greenlight

so quite the opposite of LMG's office. they could shift working days, but considering the velocity and inertia of their work i'd expect it does more harm than good just from getting to switch (but hey i'm not in the same office as linus, what would i know?)

timestamp 2:02

Very good point

Hi,

I don't know if they ever read the Posts in their forums (tbh I just created an account after years of watching their videos :D)

But I would realy love to see them try out the RTX3000 GPUs not only in "the-best-of-the-best" machines but maybe also in some older ones as well.

I myself for example don't know if I have the money to buy a completely new pc as I'm still running a 4790k.

Now I've read that Nvidia says PCIe 4 would not provide a significant boost for the average consumer.

Now I wonder how much my CPU would bottleneck and I think there are many more like me with the same question.

This is just a suggestion to maybe cater to your audience with older machines. If you guys do read these posts: I love your Videos! So much so that I finally created an account ^^

honestly the 4790k starts bottlenecking more than a 1080ti or 2080 already in most situations. I used to run mine with a 2080 blower card and could run the card at a lower power limit with little loss to performance in the games I was playing since cpu couldn't keep the card fed. It is still a pretty great cpu though, took Intel years to finally make anything worth upgrading to. Now in my setup I didn't have extra thermal overhead to overclock so that was at 4.4 Ghz, in a better cooling setup your mileage may vary slightly but not by that much

The should make a video where they build a computer inside the Arctic Hobby Land Rider 503 RC from their (third) most watched video, and most loved video 😄 

How about sub-zero alcohol cooling for long time using an air tight case where moist air will be removed with vacuum pump and replaced with neutral gas like room temperature Nitrogen. So there will be no water condensation. Also we can use anhydrous Copper(II) sulfate to see if any condensation is happening as anhydrous Copper(II) sulfate turns blue with contact of water. Then we will know when to stop. For further protection Water Absorbing Materials can be used such as anhydrous calcium chloride, silica gel or activated carbon to absorb moisture.
I think this can increase overclocking time a lot.
It is just a concept just like "This Cooler DRAWS 545W!!? Bad Cooling Ideas #2" .

But I hope we might learn some from that.

1 hour ago, Adipic Acid said:

using an air tight case where moist air will be removed with vacuum pump

10/10 idea. The air tight case will violently implode and fly through a wall, the PSU fans might spin up to such high RPM they'll desintegrate and all the thermal compound u will start boiling and spreading in the entire case, probably even ruining the vacuum pump. I can't wait for it!

2 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

10/10 idea. The air tight case will violently implode and fly through a wall, the PSU fans might spin up to such high RPM they'll desintegrate and all the thermal compound u will start boiling and spreading in the entire case, probably even ruining the vacuum pump. I can't wait for it!

Actually I was trying to avoid that, so I mentioned to replace moist air with room temperature Nitrogen. But it would be entertaining if something explodes (specially the face of Linus). XD

Ok Hear me out...

I have been researching and built bare-bones PC's for a first gaming PC.

The HP Z line of workstations are a bit last generations, so the stock is pretty good on server building websites and Ebay stores.

1. The z230 is about 100 USD to 130 USD and have a single LGA-1150 that can fit a i5-4670, which is about $50 and can be even included for free on barebone kits I was talking about earlier. The 4670 is a great preformer for price Hitting way above it's weight class, preforming about on par with the modern AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU. The z230 would be a great 1080p gaming setup if configured with a used 1060 or a newer Nvidia GTX 1660. The biggest downfall is its lack of pci supports in the different revisions of the z230. This can be remedied with a sata power to pci 6 pin, even if it is a bit JANK, or a molex to 6 pin if you are needing the sata power cables.
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $40.00 @ Amazon
Custom JacobsParts 6-pin to 8-pin PCI Express Power Converter Cable for Video Card $4.34 @ Amazon
Custom Details about Custom Build HP Pro Z230 Workstation i5-4670 3.40GHz Desktop Computer PC $100.00
Custom 8GB (2x4GB) HYNIX PC3-12800U-11-11-B1 DDR3-1600 Desktop Memory RAM HMT351U6CFR8C $53.18
Custom GTX 1060 6gb $150.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $347.52
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-05 21:23 EDT-0400  
  1. The z420 is the step up option that will run you about 150 USD if you're lucky to about 180 USD. It rocks a Single LGA-2011 Socket that can fit the Xeon E5-1650 V2, which will run you about 50 USD to about 80 USD. The 1650 v2 also preforms above its price to preformance bracket, preforming about on par with the Ryzen 7 3700x from 2019. The z420 would be able to do 4k at 60hz at medium (as a guess) or 1440p at 144hz!. It can be configured with a used 1080 ti for about 300 usd to $350 or wait and buy the Nvidia RTX 3070 when its released later this month starting at 499 usd. The z420 can be configured with up to 64gb of ddr3 memory, 600 watt with 90% efficiency, and usb 3.0 on the front pannel for good measure.
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Newegg
Custom Details about Intel XEON E5-1650V2 3.50GHZ 6 Core $69.99
Custom HP Z420 Computer Barebones Unit $171.73
Custom Details about 8GB 16GB 32GB DDR3 1866MHz PC3-14900 For HyperX FURY Desktop Memory DIMM RAM H2 $119.79
Custom Details about GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Graphics Card $365.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $781.50
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-05 21:24 EDT-0400  

hi

45 minutes ago, Ecogamer414 said:

Feel free to leave criticism and feedback.

Looks alright for the price. 

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

Can we get a video about the data google tracks, how to delete it, and what settings to change to prevent them from keeping it in the first place?

I recently downloaded all my data from google takeout and realized just how much data they are truly keeping. It had everything from search history (which I have cleared many times), location history (some have seen exact location and times marking when they were there), ad and other web interaction, everything I said to a google home, and so much more. It would be even more if I was an android user. I knew they were keeping data, but the extent of which shocked me.

Looking online, I found it is possible to delete all that data from their servers and prevent them from keeping it in the first place. This is one of many guides I found and I think it would be great for LMG to dig into it, explain what Google is keeping, and show how to stop it.

https://pixelprivacy.com/resources/erasing-google-history/

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Your video:

Is half a video!!!

Wow I have to re-type this as pasting a video replaces text?
Firstly, you have NO idea weather or not this ISO you are suggesting is safe.
Next, you forgot about performance. Pro gamers and ESL use CUSTOM ISO's.
Why? Windows performance and latency has ONLY been getting worse.
Proof? You can follow along with FR33THY as be has completed all testing thoroughly. 

You can strip telemetry way better then Ameliorated has. And even cleaner then it has. And you have endless customisation with a NTLite stripped video.

And you can even talk about windows trying to KILL exclusive fullscreen witch is absolutely ridiculous as it is way better for latency and performance.
NVIDIA even commented on this in their RTX 3000 release page!

I quote:
"Composition - Depending on your display mode (Fullscreen, Borderless, Windowed), the Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) in the OS has to submit some additional rendering work to composite the rest of the desktop for a particular frame. This can add latency. It’s recommended to always be in exclusive fullscreen mode to minimize compositing latency!"
See: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/reflex-low-latency-platform/
And Microsoft's literal lies about fullscreen exclusive: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

FR33THY's complete Stripped Custom ISO Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYNlVUyaW0U&list=PLykpkrQ1xVu1jTFCju1cmY9UAHw99aGWW

You dropped the ball with this video. Do your research.
And help put the pressure back on Microsoft and their selfish agenda's, as it is getting ridiculous.

Baity Title: "Windows 10 gaming performance is actually getting worse?!"
Boom.

SO MANY CLICKS BOIIII

Edited by Valla

Clipsal C-bus is a very high end home automation solution (owned by Schneider electric) which uses din-mounted relays and dimmers in a distribution board to feed the end points on the circuits. Switches and sensors are linked together with a special cat5 cable that is rated to run alongside low voltage cables (low voltage = 50-1000v).

Every switch has memory and stores it's own programs which means there's no central hub which can fail, auxiliary devices can also be used for input and output (e.g. fire alarm turns all hallway lights on).

4 hours ago, Valla said:

You dropped the ball with this video. Do your research.

What research? They made a video about one specific offering, not a video about the whole topic of optimization.

F@H

GPD Win 2