Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Along with the recent Hidden Computer setup, I think it would be cool to have a raspberry pi (or another single board/cheap pc) as a second pc for browsing and chatting.
Hear me out: It's often that I have to reboot my pc, or it's doing such an intensive workload that it just can't have background tasks like music, and discord in the background. So, having a setup where these semi-light tasks are done through an actual separate pc, to enable you to either gain those extra frames in a game, or just let people with dual boot setups not have to wait ages to talk to their friends again, if windows decides to update. Main issues that i could see arise are, USB devices, and audio.
I'm really just spit balling here.

I was just watching your video about your secret computer, and then i remember that i just installd a very cool operating system on the pi called {iRasbian}

Its just Rasbian but it looks like Mac OS X.

Plus it has retropie, macos 9 AND windows 98 emlulator!!!

Download link here: https://archive.org/download/raspbianx/iRASPBIAN.xz

Try upgrading a laptop with desktop parts and make the laptop a gaming setup

Hallo everyone!

I love the Server Room Vlog  so much. hope Linus could do more server room videos.

The server rack is almost 80% full. maybe it is time to upgrade server room😁. some new servers will be cool......

1 hour ago, xvision1991 said:

The server rack is almost 80% full.

Yeah, and there is a whole lot of spinning rust in there, it would be interesting to know how many of them had to be replaced so far. (I just had a failing ironwolf, ~1 month before out of warranty).

Edited by jagdtigger

Chair buying guide.
Some of us spend 8+ hours a day in these things, but how do you pick one?

Racer chairs look cool, but are they actually ergonomic?
So are other "Gaming chairs."
There's office chairs that are comfy but how do I know what I'm buying is good?

How do you get good lumbar, neck & arm support?

We can't enjoy our PCs with uncomfortable chairs.

My current chair has screws falling out & my one arm wrest is falling off. I need something good & don't know how to pick.

Amazon likes to put so weird stuff in my recommended items but this one really caught my eye because it sounds impossible.

https://www.amazon.com/Marseille-Networks-Mclassic-Worlds-Graphics-Processor/dp/B07X6KDQ98/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I don't have a console to test it on, and I wouldn't drop 100 dollars on it, but I would love to see some tests with it to see if it's really as powerful as it claims.

I would really like a collab with Modern Vintage Gamer on the history of Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo security and homebrew.

Hey LMG,

Any chance you guys could setup something like the Roast but awards? Or just integrate with LTX?

Would be really awesome to have dedicated ceremonies for tech channels that the broad "Tech" category that the Shorty Awards just doesn't cover. Best Tech Commentary, Best Hardline Build, Best Build Guide etc.

And then for Floatplane just the YouTube equivalent but FP, maybe when its out of beta. I could see a new Floatplane channel on FP dedicated to celebrating FP members. Maybe like a one time fee to view the single awards stream every year?

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

I was looking for a video on HDMI switches but the only thing I could find on LTT channel which comes close is about something called a Caavo control center. It seems there are a lot of HDMI switches on the market, but it turns out a lot of them are lacking in some way, such as not supporting 4K at 60 FPS or having a shitty remote. I had thought these switches would be simple devices that just put through whatever signal came in, but it seems that this is not at all the case. For example, some are capable of supporting a great variety of audio signals whereas others are not. Also, reportedly, some devices don't cooperate well with certain game consoles. I will of course look around for myself as to what I want and which models are best for me, but I think there's a lot of people out there who might purchase a device unaware of all the aspects involved and end up with something unsuitable for them. Maybe this is something LTT could provide guidance in.

EDIT: When you search on Youtube for "best HDMI switch", you get a whole bunch of videos which are just absolutely horrible to watch. O the cringe! There definitely is a hole to fill here.

EDIT: OMG, even the available web search results provide useless "reviews", well at least the ones Google is showing me. An page named "Top 10 Best HDMI Switches of 2020", which was posted in October 2019. Uhuh, yeah, I'll just skip that one altogether. Various other pages with the words "best 10", "HDMI switches" and "2020" in them were among the first search results and they prove fairly useless. One of them for example appears to be very much focused on whether or not the switches provide picture-in-picture. Who cares! Sure, for some that would be a nice to have, but that should not be a priority to look at when you're reviewing these switches with the intent to tell others which ones are best. All of what I've seen so far, both on Youtube and in Google search, just feels like a bunch of click-bait to me, probably more focused on trying to earn some commissions then on providing actual useful information.

May Linus help us!

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Yeah, and there is a whole lot of spinning rust in there, it would be interesting to know how many of them had to be replaced so far. (I just had a failing ironwolf, ~1 month before out of warranty).

they could totally make a lot of videos of this😂.

4 minutes ago, xvision1991 said:

they could totally make a lot of videos of this😂.

IDK about that, if i remember correctly the only video about this topic is where one LSI card thrown in the towel...... /EDIT And one failed connector on the backplane.

Eureka! An Idea!!

VR Verses Multi-Screen set up for Flight/Space Sims; 

Perfect preparation for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator or an excuse to go back and play some Wing Commander IV.

Review of components (flight stick/chairs/rigging/software), commentary on the culture of flight simmers etc. Controls hooked up to the chair, chair in realistic positioning, quality of games, selection of games to garner an understanding of cost to set-up verses longeivety or ability to use that set up on multiple games. (Can you Modern Warfare in a flight sim set-up etc.) Does any of it make sense when considering the $$$ put into the set-up?

Cheers Ian

I am Rudy, an LTT newbie in Tokyo Japan. I work a short walk from Akihabara. Hello.

I have an episode idea that I hope gains attention. Have a normie build a PC based on verbal instructions only. The instructor, in a separate room, can use only his/her voice and cannot see anything from the workspace. Imagine you are an air traffic controller giving instructions to a flight attendant on how to land a 767. It's like that except it's for putting together a simple (cheap) desktop PC. This is a real test of the staff's efficient communication skills. Anyhow, who on the LTT staff can instruct a young person to do as much work as possible in, say, 60 minutes? We can all learn a lesson or two, especially if you use younger people with an equal amount of computing savvy. Cheers.

Linus vs luke   scrapyard wars 

let them make the ultiem garage sim racing set up  . for €2500 

Naamloos.thumb.jpg.396128309c8359a0cf3ff5544167e0a6.jpg2003500132.thumb.jpeg.dc3ed55695889057442a5b7efd80c8f4.jpeg4vwavnznfhn41.jpg.f4ef89d9d11586f325ae7ecb14e21cb4.jpg

Hello all,

I come here with my humble suggestion/idea for a video

After seeing Linus use a dvd-reader , I thought why not make an enclosure with ports/readers for each type of media container.

So essentially an enclosure that you can insert any media (Disk , CD , DVD , Blu-Ray , SD Cards , USB2 , USB3 etc) which then can be hooked up to your computer to be used.
I thought it would be a cool and educative project that would fall within LTT standards.

Hopefully I am in the correct section for this kind of topic.

With best regards :)

Over the past year or so I've seen several of the home server rack/networking videos and really enjoyed them.

The one that interested me most of all was the video where you put Multi-Mode Fiber (MMF) across your house. I have a rack at home myself as well and had a few fleeting thoughts about fibering up my home as well and the trouble you had finding a hub to connect USB (or anything that isn't just ethernet honestly..) over MMF was really familiar haha.

As a result I never really ended up doing anything with fiber (yet... ;) ) but recently I stumbled upon a piece of hardware that could be very interesting i.c.w. MMF; the Samtec FireFly (PCOA;  PCIe-Over-Fiber Adaptor Card + PCUO modules).

This thing allows you to bring your raw PCIe lanes to somewhere else. You can basically connect whatever thing you need as long as there is a PCIe version of that thing. Be that a USB controller or even a complete GPU.

Iirc it even supported multiple configuration on the other end while pulling from a single slot on the host (simple x4, x8, x16 or even x4+x4, x8+x8, assuming an x16 slot is used on the host system).

Now, this thing seems to be one of those 'inquire for costs' things so not for the normal consumer for sure...

But that MMF video, together with the very latest one where you mentioned cleaning up some stuff in preparation for a new project as well as (re-)attempting to put the VR system in the rack as well, I thought this could be a very interesting piece of tech to take a look at.

Granted, you've already laid down the extra display wires to your VR space so maybe it would not be as useful for that system/location as it would have been had you not yet gotten the MMF USB hub and put down the HDMI wires, I feel like it could still be a fun and interesting project for systems in other places ;)

Water cool a set of peripherals. Monitor, mouse, keyboard, even speakers. Everything BUT the PC itself. 

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

Hi Linus Tech Tip Team 

I watch your video alot but i want to suggest a gaming laptop that is created in the turkey.  I want you to see if you could do an  review it on your youtube channel, the website is in turkish but you can use google translate to understand the site.

This would shock you with the performance and gaming experience in the long run, I`ll like to see your view on on it too

Here the link to the website:https://www.monsternotebook.ae/gaming-laptops/

many thanks for your fellow fan 

I'd love a video comparing an off the shelf NAS systems such as the Synology DS918+ (4 bay) or DS1019+ (5 bay) vs building your own NAS with something like Unraid. You could build a comparable system using Unraid and then discuss the following:

• Hardware cost
  • Compare starting with 4 x 8TB vs 2 X 14TB
  • Optional upgrades like RAM and SSD cache (out of the box I'd probably upgrade the Synology RAM to 16GB or more)
  • Future expansion like RAM and drives
  • Raid technology
  • Software features, UI, and apps
  • Maintenance
  • Ease of use
  • Any other stuff like running Docker containers (kinda falls under software, but a bit more advanced)

Also, while I love the balls to the walls Petabyte videos, can we keep this build somewhat wallet friendly and cap the initial capacity at 32TB.

I'd also be interested in a video on how Btrfs works "Automatic File Self-Healing: Detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention."

P.S. 8TB vs 14TB because the current prices for Seagate IronWolf NAS drives are $204.99 vs $474.99 US on Amazon.

Edit:

• 4 x 4TB ($101) vs 2 x 8TB ($205) is another comparison, but I'm personally looking for more storage.
  • I'm not too familiar with Unraid, so if there is a better tool for the job please us it

Thanks!

2 hours ago, thepoorgamer said:

Water cool a set of peripherals. Monitor, mouse, keyboard, even speakers. Everything BUT the PC itself. 

Yeah, and water-cool the mouse with hard lines.

GT 1030 extreme overclocking. They cost next to nothing (relatively), Linus finally gets an excuse to punish these damned things, and they might be able to set a world record. I think OCN has threads on these hardcore overclocking scenes for like bottom of the barrel graphics cards like the GF 210's and GT 730's. 

I have an idea. A vacuum sealed case. Or maybe just for the MOBO. I feel that if put together properly, and in the dryest way possible, this could get around the moisture issue everyone has when using liquid nitrogen. Or at minimum your janky cooler you guys built a couple years back. My theory is a vacuum sealed case with a long port to reach the cpu, vram, or anything else that may need to be chilled. Liquid nitrogen can be poured into this port without the fear of any condensation on the inside. The issue maybe finding a material strong enough to withstand the cold. Not educated enough on this but it would be cool to be proved right or wrong. 

There could be a rant video about how manufacturers aren't coming up with a lot of AMD-based computers, and even when they do, they're usually behind other computers in specs.

2-in-1 Inspirons for example. Almost all Inspirons can be had with a larger battery and/or more RAM while the AMD based ones only come with 8GB single channel RAM and the smaller battery.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X / Noctua NH-D15 / Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 / 2x16GB XPG 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM / Radeon VII / 1TB Intel 660p SSD / Acer ED322Q / Acer ET322QU / Corsair Carbide 275R

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 7405 2-in-1: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U / 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 / 512GB NVM.e