What would you do with no gpu?

No gpu?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. If someone has no gpu, should you...

• Pay for a scalped new one
    • Get a MSRP gt710/1030 class card
    • Just suck it up and not use the system
    • Other: type below

5 hours ago, patiencehasleftthebuilding said:

I got a 5600x, aorus b550 elite board, 500gb samsung nvme, meshify first old version, corsair 750w psu, gskill 64gb ddr4 3600Mhz sitting around with no gpu, oh and the new corsair aio cooler coming in couple days saw it on sale had to have it and yea that just going to sit there too...

20210405_221256.jpg

I fill you man, same problems, I just got 5600x, b550mb and no gpu in sight

7 minutes ago, MarkoD93 said:

I don't agree with you just for one simple reason... I'm owner of 760 4GB and it's not cuting it anymore. AAA game are barely running, apex runs on low settings with 40 fps. Getting something like this will not solve the problem, I think it's just waste of money.
If you don't have any video card and plan on playing something like LOL, Dota 2, CSGO maybe then...

At least you dont have a expensive box, you would have a way to have video output. You could use something like stadia/xcloud (when it comes to pc)/geforce now

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

At least you dont have a expensive box, you would have a way to have video output. You could use something like stadia/xcloud (when it comes to pc)/geforce now

cloud gaming is not bad option for casual gaming if you have good internet connection. In my opinion batter then westing money on old barely usable video card

10 minutes ago, MarkoD93 said:

cloud gaming is not bad option for casual gaming if you have good internet connection. In my opinion batter then westing money on old barely usable video card

You need a video carfd for it.

you dont have one

you need to get one.

so get a old gpu.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You need a video carfd for it.

you dont have one

you need to get one.

so get a old gpu.

I see now... What you're saying is just get anything for video output and use cloud.

Good idea 👍

Well, as our old PC packed it in at the worst possible time (due entirely to my own stupidity) and I'm living this at the moment, the answer so far is to force my low-powered work laptop to serve double-duty for the most basic of home computing needs, and put gaming in its entirety on the shelf until such time as I can build a new machine. I thought myself lucky to get myself on a waitlist for a GTX 2060 six weeks ago, but the latest update from the supplier intimated that they simply can't say when it's now due to arrive.

I think I hit my low point when I bought PC Building Simulator purely to try and temporarily scratch the itch of wanting to build my PC, only to discover that it sent my laptop temps soaring and couldn't be played safely.

tl;dr: I'm waiting on building my PC so I can finally play a game about building my PC.

Other answer - I'd cry whilst I waited for the next few months

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

What I did: I had to send my rx 570 for RMA, figured it would take a few weeks so I bought a $12 r5 240 on ebay so I can still use my system for work and youtube and also play some games on 720p, all settings manually turned to low 😞

While waiting I would either get a half decent laptop (new or secondhand) with a gameable gpu in it, then sell it on later.

Or I would get the Xbox Series S, which is (at least in my country) available pretty okay or even cheaper secondhand. You will be amazed what $300 can get you for the money. Just get Xbox Game Pass Ultimate with it and you can play a bunch of AAA and lesser known titles while waiting to get a gpu.

7 minutes ago, FRD said:

Or I would get the Xbox Series S, which is (at least in my country) available pretty okay or even cheaper secondhand.

Lucky. In my area they still sell for over 500.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Lucky. In my area they still sell for over 500.

Yeah, too bad it's not like this everywhere. They're not always available, but at least a few times per month from actual stores at MSRP. I'm even thinking of getting a secondhand one at like $250. I'm still happy with my Xbox One S though.

Just now, FRD said:

Yeah, too bad it's not like this everywhere. They're not always available, but at least a few times per month from actual stores at MSRP. I'm even thinking of getting a secondhand one at like $250. I'm still happy with my Xbox One S though.

Someone in my family has a series x, they've been letting me use it for a bit lol.

Might sell my GPU (rx480s will sell for over 400$) and just that Xbox untill I can get a new one.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Quick tip if you have thunderbolt 3 and money but don't want to support scalpers. Apple is still selling an RX580 eGPU from some company I have forgotten. Its way overpriced at 700 bucks, but it is a GPU in an enclosure (you can use it on any thunderbolt 3 machine) and you would not be helping scalpers. Although I won't judge if you don't want to buy from Apple 

1 minute ago, Ulysses499 said:

Quick tip if you have thunderbolt 3 and money but don't want to support scalpers. Apple is still selling an RX580 eGPU from some company I have forgotten. Its way overpriced at 700 bucks, but it is a GPU in an enclosure (you can use it on any thunderbolt 3 machine) and you would not be helping scalpers. Although I won't judge if you don't want to buy from Apple 

No, but you can buy a 580 on eBay for less (400$) and a cheep tb3 enclosure, plus a PSU.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

No, but you can buy a 580 on eBay for more (400$) and a cheep tb3 enclosure.

Man...I got lucky when I bought my RX 480 for my Mac Pro 4,1 (flashed 5,1) to get it to Mojave for $120 in May 2020. 

If I didn't have a graphics card, I would either with an AMD Ryzen system to just wait or borrow a friends to see if the system POSTs and then give the graphics card back to your friend and just wait it out.

If I didn't want to go AMD but instead Intel, I'd pick up a 10700K and just use the iGPU until I can get a new graphics card. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Definitely get a GT 1030 since you can still find them at around 60-70$ consistently. And I'd go for a decent model like MSI Aero ITX and overclock the card.

At this point in time, the only sane reason you’d probably want to go AMD is if you’re going with a Threadripper, which probably means productivity system. In the case of buying a powerful PC for actual work, a scalper GPU is probably on the table, as pre-builts are seldom found with Threadripper, and the lost time involved in finding one close to MSRP would cost more than elevated prices. If you just need a display output, literally anything you can stick in the PCI-slot will do, even something as lowly as a old Radeon HD 5450. Can probably play Stardew Valley on that as well. 

As far as a personal system goes, building now is a horrible idea, at least, without considering the GPU first (whether iGPU, or finding another). Returning the components or selling them and buying a pre-built would probably provide more immediate results.

Tbh, Right now, I don’t even consider PC gaming to be an economically viable option for someone just starting. At the very minimum, I’d assume mid-2022 for increased availability, and make decisions accordingly. If you’re not willing to wait or buy a pre-built, my recommendation is to find a PS5 and not look back. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

thanfully i bought a gtx1650 super back in september 2020

but back then i also sold my old r9 280 for pennies

Start your own computer company so you can order from a distributer and get a 3080 at MSRP.

Worked for me.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Look in some attics and find a 600-series card that someone forgot about.

I'm not kidding about that - it's how I found my GTX 650 Ti BOOSTs.

My uncle put his old Phenom II system in my grandparents' attic, I was looking there, so I grabbed it (it was marked as his), he said I could have it, and here I am!

elephants

I'd use the iGPU as a stopgap solution.

I edit my posts quite often, please refresh your browser if you can.

Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM : 16GB 3200MHZ CL16 RAM

GPU : ASRock Challenger RX 6600
Display : Acer KA242Y
Mainboard : GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI
Storage : 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
                240GB ADATA SU650NS38

Just now, FakeKGB said:

There is no iGPU.

Oh, then i'd rather use one of my family's old laptops as a temporary solution.

I edit my posts quite often, please refresh your browser if you can.

Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM : 16GB 3200MHZ CL16 RAM

GPU : ASRock Challenger RX 6600
Display : Acer KA242Y
Mainboard : GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI
Storage : 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
                240GB ADATA SU650NS38