Overly Attached Girlfried meme minted as an NFT and sold for 200 ETH.

Kenneth Kopin

If we hadn't already reached a tipping point for this sort of stuff @Laina, AKA The Overly Attached Girlfriend minted her original meme and sold it as an NFT. She has posted on Twitter about it's progress and seemed shocked when NFT Collector @f3music recaptured the high bid by soundly beating the previous bid of 145 ETH with their 200 ETH winning bid (aprox. value $400,000 at time of sale).

Laina later tweeted about how this was "going to change my life"

As a personal note, I can't imagine a nicer meme person for it to happen to. She's been so good about the whole meme experience for as long as she could be, and then stepped back from the limelight a couple of years ago to become more private again.

Congratulations, Laina.

Just.. no really stop staring at me.

Good for her.

I still think NFT is dumb, but if some people can get rich without much efforts because other people think a certificate saying "you own this", with a link to a third party service hosting whatever it is they bought to be worth that amount of money... More power to them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I see this as some fan's way of gifting her money. I'm happy for her, she always seemed so nice. 🙂

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Personally I think NFTs are weird and are tulips at the moment. Good for her though.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

People have tons of money to waste lol 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

4 hours ago, 12345678 said:

frankly

I still think that most of those transactions are money laundering and/or tax evasion 

Or doing other things that are Illegal such Young Women renting out their bodies for money. or Drug dealing.

I think NFTs are wealthy people's exclusive way of moving their wealth without paying the cross-border transaction fee and cutting out the the middle man like investment bankers. If you wanted to move wealth thus far, you have largely 4 choices to choose from: 

1) use expensive commercial banks

2) use investment bankers and do a cross currency swap

3) use virtual currencies (very volatile) and government now wants to collect tax on it

4) illegally transfer it out of the country in a tangible form such as gold, artwork...etc

Currently, many rich people prefer to hide and move their wealth through artwork. Christie's auction is the biggest network of money launderers. But recently, there's been a rise of resellers that threatened their investments and moving artwork is always a headache with duties and tax. I think NFT could be the future of unscrupulous global asset network that bypasses government regulation. A new store of value and a new method of transferring wealth without getting taxed. Once again, they are playing musical chairs. If one person just cashes out, they all lose. I hope their trust is as strong as their belief in paying taxes. lol. 

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

I have a big feeling this is the new Beanie Babies. Has hardly any value outside of bragging rights, and you'd have to be an idiot to pay several thousands just for that.

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

Her face has provided a lot of meme material over the years, I see this as the internet kind of paying it back, like a big "thank you for the laughs".

Happy for her.