Dear Linus...

Midevil Chaos
Go to solution Solved by Midevil Chaos,

Dear Linus... this is hard to write, but I hope you will actually read this.

One of the things which truly frustrates me with Linus MG is the fact that you clearly omit Canadian viewers. I understand 100% that most of the viewers may be American, which by the way, isn't very hard to accomplish when the US has ten times the population that Canada does. Regardless, in terms of either giveaways, or the currency you use to speak about PC parts for example, or even when using Amazon's .com version of the website instead of the .ca version... these are things that puts me off and draws me to watch other content more often than not for the past three or so months.

Can we, Canadians, get the recognition we deserve by an actual Canadian youtube channel? Is this so hard to ask? I'm frankly getting tired of the disrespect that LMG shows us towards their own fellow Canadians. Don't get me wrong, I do respect LMG, but I would like that SAME respect back. I used to love your content and your team's for that matter, but I've mostly been watching Anthony, Madison, James and Riley more than actually you recently. Not because I dislike you, but rather because I feel that the Canadian connection that we, the Canadian viewer, should have with you, isn't there anymore. That is hard to say or even accept, as I prefer Canadians when it comes to entertainment (so do Americans, hence why the best actors after all, are Canadian).

If we consider the last video featuring a giveaway (from a third party mind you), once more Canadians are excluded. I can understand excluding a country an ocean away because of logistics, shipping price etc., but Canada? Seriously? The way I see it... LMG themselves draws the TV, and if it's a Canadian winner, then Vizio ships it to Linus and LMG as a professional courtesy, and LGM then ships it.

I understand that actual giveaway may be for any random US customer (and not just LGM), but why bother sponsoring your video if that's the case? I don't know. Nonetheless, my original point is valid, and my concern about us Canadians being consistently excluded from it's own Canadian made and born Linus and team... is frustrating. A real turn off for someone who feels that Canadian viewers are being scorned by another Canadian for no reason.

Is it that hard to use BOTH CAD and USD when speaking about pricing? Is it that hard to have two Amazon lists? Which would most likely be the same but using different currencies. Or hell, even using the exact same pcpartpicker list on 2 different tabs, with two different currencies? I don't expect you to do that for two hundred countries, but for your own country that you currently live in, and were born in? Just saying...

Linus, you are Superman, Canada is Smallville. Don't forget who you are, nor who we are.

On that note, take care.

1 minute ago, Midevil Chaos said:

And that's the problem. USD is not universal. It will never be, as the currency fluctuates so much all the time. Thus far, everyone who responded (save for Linus), is not Canadian. I can't imagine you have to worry about actual USD currency... you're not in North America but in New Zealand (in your case). When we deal with USD currency, we always have to guesstimate, as conversion tools (including PayPal) is never accurate.

I buy many online goods in USD. Perhaps you do not know in many countries, such as Qatar, Cambodia etc, the USD is used as currency instead of the countries normal currency. Maybe it would be better to approach with a more open mind - USD is used in many places and online. 

1 minute ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Let's say you are using a US based website, and you want to build and you only have say $1500 to spend (CAD), maybe you'll end up spending $1650 because the conversion methods are fairly inaccurate. So yeah, CAD vs USD matters.

I think anyone who buys online knows there are differing conversion costs and rates and perhaps credit card fees. I would recommend buying USD in advance when conversion rates are low, if you purchase goods with USD often. 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@Midevil Chaos ill point a mistake you keeping maaking.

You keep using the term "deserve" and "disrespect". Neither of these things apply here. No country is deserving over another regardless of LMG's production output. LMG caters to a world market. There is only disrespect if he hold higher one over another. The US dollar is the world standard in trade monetarily.

You mention actors and yet non of those actors cheer Canada are you going to jump onto another horse to demand they start doing the same? I don't believe will.

Linus makes mention of the Canadian dollar many times in his videos, if you watch, you would notice. Outside this your argument and complaint has been heard and frankly holds little water for much.

Canadian currency fluctuates much more than the US dollar.

And yes the US dollar has been the standard trade monetary for over a century. 

I do notice, but not when he talks about important things. As for the rest of your comment, I have no comment to make as I disagree 100% with you.

People coming onto this forum and feeling so entitled is really getting annoying. Do you have nothing better to do with your life than write out a whole ass page about how your being disrespected because the amazon link say's .com instead of .ca? And a giveaway *HOSTED BY A THIRD PARTY* was U.S only? grow the fuck up dude.

1 hour ago, Midevil Chaos said:

third party

key word here. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Midevil Chaos said:

I do notice, but not when he talks about important things. As for the rest of your comment, I have no comment to make as I disagree 100% with you.

Your disagreement doesn't make me wrong.

I ask why you wish not to reply fully?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

16 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I'm just going to ignore you. Also, I'm not whining, and have zero explanation to give you about anything OR even care about what you say. You are being a troll, so I will press the 'ignore' button, as I don't cater to trolls. Oh, and if you are gonna troll someone, at least read the entire post. Goodbye.

They actually raise a pretty good point. Your concern was that it might not be accurate because using Google to tell you the exchange rate isn't perfect. That's fine, but LTT videos are written, filmed, and edited sometimes weeks before they go live on the channel. This means that if they film a "$1000 build guide" video today it might not go live on the LTT channel for another month, and in that time the exchange rate would have changed.

If you look at some videos there's the script that said "We bought this for $229" and then they show a screenshot of the product listing from the website and it's $209 and there's a little editors note at the bottom saying "*Price was $229 at time of filming" or something.

Don't dismiss people as trolls just because you don't want to listen to what they have to say.

27 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

You can use any conversion tool you want (google or otherwise), but it never means it's accurate. It could be off by a dollar as it could be off by ten. So, even though I think I am paying say $350 CAD for example, I could in fact be paying $370.

Surely you would be checking the price before you buy anything, right?? You don't just watch a youtube video then rush to amazon and buy it without even looking at the price shown or the total cost of your cart when checking out?

Don't forget there's 5% sales tax in Canada that often won't be included in USD prices (unless stated otherwise). In Australia it's 10% sales tax. In Europe it can be 20% or higher sales tax.

There's always going to be a discrepancy between prices. Whether that's because of currency exchange rates changing, the price of the item going up or down since the video was filmed/released, sales tax, import fees, differences in local retailer prices... The prices in LTT videos are only meant as a guide and comparison between other similar products. You get a better understanding of the product if you say "This CPU costs $500" when you compare it to other CPUs that cost $150. It doesn't really matter if another country those CPUs are 600 pesos and 225 pesos.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

This is turning out to be a debate and before somebody getting a ban, I suggest one of the mods to close this thread.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Your disagreement doesn't make me wrong.

I ask why you wish not to reply fully?

Because I seem to be the only person here who understands the disrespect I am referring about. So... why argue or debate with others? No one has the right to tell me how I feel OR how I should feel. If I feel disrespected, I have the right to feel that way.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

They actually raise a pretty good point. Your concern was that it might not be accurate because using Google to tell you the exchange rate isn't perfect. That's fine, but LTT videos are written, filmed, and edited sometimes weeks before they go live on the channel. This means that if they film a "$1000 build guide" video today it might not go live on the LTT channel for another month, and in that time the exchange rate would have changed.

If you look at some videos there's the script that said "We bought this for $229" and then they show a screenshot of the product listing from the website and it's $209 and there's a little editors note at the bottom saying "*Price was $229 at time of filming" or something.

Don't dismiss people as trolls just because you don't want to listen to what they have to say.

Surely you would be checking the price before you buy anything, right?? You don't just watch a youtube video then rush to amazon and buy it without even looking at the price shown or the total cost of your cart when checking out?

Don't forget there's 5% sales tax in Canada that often won't be included in USD prices (unless stated otherwise). In Australia it's 10% sales tax. In Europe it can be 20% or higher sales tax.

There's always going to be a discrepancy between prices. Whether that's because of currency exchange rates changing, the price of the item going up or down since the video was filmed/released, sales tax, import fees, differences in local retailer prices... The prices in LTT videos are only meant as a guide and comparison between other similar products. You get a better understanding of the product if you say "This CPU costs $500" when you compare it to other CPUs that cost $150. It doesn't really matter if another country those CPUs are 600 pesos and 225 pesos.

It's 15% not 5% in Canada. And no, I don't rush out to buy something. It's not about that, but merely about the respect I feel Canadians deserve from other Canadians. Simple as that. When a Canadian rises to where they rise... I want them to remember why they are where they are.

Just now, Midevil Chaos said:

Because I seem to be the only person here who understands the disrespect I am referring about. So... why argue or debate with others? No one has the right to tell me how I feel OR how I should feel. If I feel disrespected, I have the right to feel that way.

You have missed my point entirely. 

But besides that, this topic is going nowhere but in a circle of self served interest.  You have received a reply from Linus himself and two mods. Unless Linus feels this needs to continue I feel this discussion will devolve before it becomes better. 

-= Topic Locked =- 

If you feel strongly enough to repeal this, please pm me.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

After moderators review, this thread will remain locked.

Reason:

The point/criticism has been made. OP is unwilling to continue healthy discussion, instead they blatantly dismiss any counter arguments.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv