Dear Linus...

Midevil Chaos
Go to solution Solved by Midevil Chaos,

Dear Linus... this is hard to write, but I hope you will actually read this.

One of the things which truly frustrates me with Linus MG is the fact that you clearly omit Canadian viewers. I understand 100% that most of the viewers may be American, which by the way, isn't very hard to accomplish when the US has ten times the population that Canada does. Regardless, in terms of either giveaways, or the currency you use to speak about PC parts for example, or even when using Amazon's .com version of the website instead of the .ca version... these are things that puts me off and draws me to watch other content more often than not for the past three or so months.

Can we, Canadians, get the recognition we deserve by an actual Canadian youtube channel? Is this so hard to ask? I'm frankly getting tired of the disrespect that LMG shows us towards their own fellow Canadians. Don't get me wrong, I do respect LMG, but I would like that SAME respect back. I used to love your content and your team's for that matter, but I've mostly been watching Anthony, Madison, James and Riley more than actually you recently. Not because I dislike you, but rather because I feel that the Canadian connection that we, the Canadian viewer, should have with you, isn't there anymore. That is hard to say or even accept, as I prefer Canadians when it comes to entertainment (so do Americans, hence why the best actors after all, are Canadian).

If we consider the last video featuring a giveaway (from a third party mind you), once more Canadians are excluded. I can understand excluding a country an ocean away because of logistics, shipping price etc., but Canada? Seriously? The way I see it... LMG themselves draws the TV, and if it's a Canadian winner, then Vizio ships it to Linus and LMG as a professional courtesy, and LGM then ships it.

I understand that actual giveaway may be for any random US customer (and not just LGM), but why bother sponsoring your video if that's the case? I don't know. Nonetheless, my original point is valid, and my concern about us Canadians being consistently excluded from it's own Canadian made and born Linus and team... is frustrating. A real turn off for someone who feels that Canadian viewers are being scorned by another Canadian for no reason.

Is it that hard to use BOTH CAD and USD when speaking about pricing? Is it that hard to have two Amazon lists? Which would most likely be the same but using different currencies. Or hell, even using the exact same pcpartpicker list on 2 different tabs, with two different currencies? I don't expect you to do that for two hundred countries, but for your own country that you currently live in, and were born in? Just saying...

Linus, you are Superman, Canada is Smallville. Don't forget who you are, nor who we are.

On that note, take care.

Dear Linus... this is hard to write, but I hope you will actually read this.

One of the things which truly frustrates me with Linus MG is the fact that you clearly omit Canadian viewers. I understand 100% that most of the viewers may be American, which by the way, isn't very hard to accomplish when the US has ten times the population that Canada does. Regardless, in terms of either giveaways, or the currency you use to speak about PC parts for example, or even when using Amazon's .com version of the website instead of the .ca version... these are things that puts me off and draws me to watch other content more often than not for the past three or so months.

Can we, Canadians, get the recognition we deserve by an actual Canadian youtube channel? Is this so hard to ask? I'm frankly getting tired of the disrespect that LMG shows us towards their own fellow Canadians. Don't get me wrong, I do respect LMG, but I would like that SAME respect back. I used to love your content and your team's for that matter, but I've mostly been watching Anthony, Madison, James and Riley more than actually you recently. Not because I dislike you, but rather because I feel that the Canadian connection that we, the Canadian viewer, should have with you, isn't there anymore. That is hard to say or even accept, as I prefer Canadians when it comes to entertainment (so do Americans, hence why the best actors after all, are Canadian).

If we consider the last video featuring a giveaway (from a third party mind you), once more Canadians are excluded. I can understand excluding a country an ocean away because of logistics, shipping price etc., but Canada? Seriously? The way I see it... LMG themselves draws the TV, and if it's a Canadian winner, then Vizio ships it to Linus and LMG as a professional courtesy, and LGM then ships it.

I understand that actual giveaway may be for any random US customer (and not just LGM), but why bother sponsoring your video if that's the case? I don't know. Nonetheless, my original point is valid, and my concern about us Canadians being consistently excluded from it's own Canadian made and born Linus and team... is frustrating. A real turn off for someone who feels that Canadian viewers are being scorned by another Canadian for no reason.

Is it that hard to use BOTH CAD and USD when speaking about pricing? Is it that hard to have two Amazon lists? Which would most likely be the same but using different currencies. Or hell, even using the exact same pcpartpicker list on 2 different tabs, with two different currencies? I don't expect you to do that for two hundred countries, but for your own country that you currently live in, and were born in? Just saying...

Linus, you are Superman, Canada is Smallville. Don't forget who you are, nor who we are.

On that note, take care.

2 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Is it that hard to use BOTH CAD and USD when speaking about pricing?

If they're going to give it in CAD as well then I demand AUD! And NZD! And Euro! And GBP! And Swiss Francs! And Indian Rupee!... You see the problem?

Most people will understand the value of USD to their own currency no matter where they are so it's almost a universally understood currency. $1 USD is roughly $1.25 CAD (currently $1.2617), so it's not that hard to do the conversion in your head.

The Amazon links in the video descriptions should redirect to your local Amazon page.

4 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

If we consider the last video featuring a giveaway (from a third party mind you), once more Canadians are excluded.

Which giveaway was this?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Can we, Canadians, get the recognition we deserve by an actual Canadian youtube channel? Is this so hard to ask? I'm frankly getting tired of the disrespect that LMG shows us towards their own fellow Canadians.

Out of curiosity, what "disrespect" has he shown to Canadians? Because tailoring your content to the largest majority of your audience is not disrespect. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

What Spotty said.

And we have no control over what territories giveaways are available in them unless we host them ourselves.

We ask for worldwide and we get whatever we get.

I understand that, which still isn't my point Linus. Both of you are merely responding to a single point, not the main one whatsoever. The main point is that Canadians deserve that Linus remembers who he is and that any videos he makes caters to Canadians as well. Otherwise, what differentiates you from Bitwit, Paul or other US youtubers in the same genre? That's what I'm talking about more than anything. I'm getting tired of everything being catered to our neighbours to the South. You should understand, you're Canadian too. Before you became who you are now, people looked down on you too because you are Canadian.

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If they're going to give it in CAD as well then I demand AUD! And NZD! And Euro! And GBP! And Swiss Francs! And Indian Rupee!... You see the problem?

Most people will understand the value of USD to their own currency no matter where they are so it's almost a universally understood currency. $1 USD is roughly $1.25 CAD (currently $1.2617), so it's not that hard to do the conversion in your head.

The Amazon links in the video descriptions should redirect to your local Amazon page.

Which giveaway was this?

What Spotty said is right. The value of the USD is understood by almost every man from every country. USD is very established so the best idea would be to mention the prices in USD. As said above USD is like an universally understood currency. USD is like English (but you won't be able to use it everywhere). As far as i know they shows the shopping website as Amazon.com because the US Amazon has shipping to other countries. Amazon.ca also has international shipping but does not offer as many products as the US version for overseas shipping. 

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

Just now, Gamer4714 said:

What Spotty said is right. The value of the USD is understood by almost every man from every country. USD is very established so the best idea would be to mention the prices in USD. As said above USD is like an universally understood currency. USD is like English (but you won't be able to use it everywhere). As far as i know they shows the shopping website as Amazon.com because the US Amazon has shipping to other countries. Amazon.ca also has international shipping but does not offer as many products as the US version for overseas shipping. 

I understand what you're saying, but again, you are as well missing the point. It's about respect more than anything, which I feel, as I fellow Canadian, am lacking.

3 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I understand what you're saying, but again, you are as well missing the point. It's about respect more than anything, which I feel, as I fellow Canadian, am lacking.

Ok, I'm an Indian and most of Indian Techie Youtube channels does not show the Amazon.in website or even say the cost in the Indian Rupee other than the ones speaking in Hindi. Yes Linus is a Canadian but has more Oversea viewers than ever . If he does not say the cost in USD it might be hard for the other viewers to distinguish the how much that currency is in their native currency.  

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

15 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

Ok, I'm an Indian and most of Indian Techie Youtube channels does not show the Amazon.in website or even say the cost in the Indian Rupee other than the ones speaking in Hindi .

Let me ask you this: If India was in Pakistan's shadow, and they didn't know who your Prime Minister was for example, or who was your best cricket player was or other obvious things about India (and they were the equivalent of the US in terms of their position in the world), how would you feel? That's what we Canadians have to deal with on a daily basis. The times I heard Americans say they didn't know where Canada was, or who our Prime Minister was or what is our country's Capital was among a myriad of countless things we endure (just to be clear, that's not everyone). Or there are times when people from other countries clump us with the Americans, when we are not only a different nation but are also very different culturally.

If Linus was Indian and you felt that same disrespect I feel right now... I would support how you'd feel. You know why? Because when we have a public figure that is great at what they do, they should remember who they are, and most importantly where Smallville is.

7 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Let me ask you this: If India was in Pakistan's shadow, and they didn't know who your Prime Minister was for example, or who was your best cricket player was or other obvious things about India (and they were the equivalent of the US in terms of their position in the world), how would you feel? That's what we Canadians have to deal with on a daily basis. The times I heard Americans say they didn't know where Canada was, or who our Prime Minister was or what is our country's Capital was among a myriad of countless things we endure. Or there are times when people from other countries clump us with the Americans, when we are not only a different nation but are also very different culturally.

If Linus was Indian and you felt that same disrespect I feel right now... I would support how you'd feel. You know why? Because when we have a public figure that is great at what they do, they should remember who they are, and most importantly where Smallville is.

Yeah I do support you. But If Linus changes to CAD most of his viewers might unsuscribe and views will go away. He might need to stop the channel.  USD is like an universally understood currency so using it would be Currency Equality. And also not knowing the best cricketer who is Indian would never happen. P.S. He is Sachin Tendulkar (also not all Indians are cricket fans, I'm a football fan). The people consider Canadians and Americans as ones because they have almost the same Accent.

1 minute ago, Gamer4714 said:

Yeah I do support you. But If Linus changes to CAD most of his viewers might unsuscribe and views will go away. He might need to stop the channel.  USD is like an universally understood currency so using it would be Currency Equality. And also not knowing the best cricketer who is Indian would never happen. P.S. He is Sachin Tendulkar (also not all Indians are cricket fans, I'm a football fan). The people consider Canadians and Americans as ones because they have almost the same Accent.

We are very different on every level for the most part (especially politics). As for the accent... it's different. I sound very different from a Texan for example, or even someone from New Jersey.

I have an issue when people say USD is universal... it's not. I know CAD, but USD? I can guesstimate, but more often than not, my guess it either sorta accurate or completely off. If I buy something, it's NEVER in USD. If I go on a website that is US only (which happens rarely, but it has), I have no clue how much I am paying. 

So you accept the point about the contests being out of LMGs control, but that then basically means that you're now only really upset that he doesn't mention CAD in his videos when talking about pricing and somehow that translates into disrespecting Canadians and that because of this Linus has somehow forgotten that he's Canadian?

That's kinda sad to be honest

1 minute ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I have an issue when people say USD is universal... it's not

You mean the Main global trade currency?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

We are very different on every level for the most part (especially politics). As for the accent... it's different. I sound very different from a Texan for example, or even someone from New Jersey.

I have an issue when people say USD is universal... it's not. I know CAD, but USD? I can guesstimate, but more often than not, my guess it either sorta accurate or completely off. If I buy something, it's NEVER in USD. If I go on a website that is US only (which happens rarely, but it has), I have no clue how much I am paying. 

You know you can see the Currency conversion in Google right?  And I never go to a US site cause no to shipping charges.

6 hours ago, Gamer4714 said:

You know you can see the Currency conversion in Google right?  And I never go to a US site cause no to shipping charges.

You can use any conversion tool you want (google or otherwise), but it never means it's accurate. It could be off by a dollar as it could be off by ten. So, even though I think I am paying say $350 CAD for example, I could in fact be paying $370.

Just now, Midevil Chaos said:

You can use any conversion tool you want (google or otherwise), but it never means it's accurate. It could be off by a dollar as it could be off by ten. So, even though I think I am paying say $350 CAD for example, I could in fact be paying $370.

I don't think Google can be wrong. They're a Multi-Billion Dollar company. They should be correct. Yes, sometimes they can be a little off by a dollar or so.

Just now, Gamer4714 said:

I don't think Google can be wrong. They're a Multi-Billion Dollar company. They should be correct. Yes, sometimes they can be a little off by a dollar or so.

Yes, they can be wrong. I worked in a financial firm for 3 years, I know trust me. There is no person, tool or company that can effectively "guess" something 100% of the time.

2 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I worked in a financial firm for 3 years, I know trust me.

And yet, you're assuming the pricing in a Youtube-video -- which may be several weeks behind! -- to be correct and then whine loudly about it not providing prices in your preferred currency? Doesn't seem like you learned as much in your job as you think you did.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Yes, they can be wrong. I worked in a financial firm for 3 years, I know trust me. There is no person, tool or company that can effectively "guess" something 100% of the time.

Ok, Ok I believe you. But Google is something we trust and they cannot be a 100% accurate  but most of the time they are 98% correct. For a average man that accuracy is enough. I think this is turning out to a debate.

It would be good if we stop the discussion or the mods will close the thread.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

And yet, you're assuming the pricing in a Youtube-video -- which may be several weeks behind! -- to be correct and then whine loudly about it not providing prices in your preferred currency? Doesn't seem like you learned as much in your job as you think you did.

I'm just going to ignore you. Also, I'm not whining, and have zero explanation to give you about anything OR even care about what you say. You are being a troll, so I will press the 'ignore' button, as I don't cater to trolls. Oh, and if you are gonna troll someone, at least read the entire post. Goodbye.

4 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

Ok, Ok I believe you. But Google is something we trust and they cannot be a 100% accurate  but most of the time they are 98% correct. For a average man that accuracy is enough.

It depends for what. They differ tremendously when it comes to apps like PayPal for example in their conversion rates.

1 hour ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I understand that, which still isn't my point Linus. Both of you are merely responding to a single point, not the main one whatsoever. The main point is that Canadians deserve that Linus remembers who he is and that any videos he makes caters to Canadians as well. Otherwise, what differentiates you from Bitwit, Paul or other US youtubers in the same genre? That's what I'm talking about more than anything. I'm getting tired of everything being catered to our neighbours to the South. You should understand, you're Canadian too. Before you became who you are now, people looked down on you too because you are Canadian.

I don't understand how Linus isn't catering to everyone, including Canadians. USD is an international currency - most people know their countries conversion rate.

I could understand if your native language was not english, and LTT did not have suitable subtitles. 

If I see USD price my brain just auto magically translates into CAD in a ball park estimate... so it’s not that big of a deal to me

Also IMO LMG does a good job at representing Canada and Canadian Values I think it’s really apparent with just the general vibe of the content and how humble and authentic everyone is... 

I can guarantee you someone like Marques, iJustine or Edgar wouldn’t be caught dead on video in ratty painting clothes... 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

I don't understand how Linus isn't catering to everyone, including Canadians. USD is an international currency - most people know their countries conversion rate.

I could understand if your native language was not english, and LTT did not have suitable subtitles. 

And that's the problem. USD is not universal. It will never be, as the currency fluctuates so much all the time. Thus far, everyone who responded (save for Linus), is not Canadian. I can't imagine you have to worry about actual USD currency... you're not in North America but in New Zealand (in your case). When we deal with USD currency, we always have to guesstimate, as conversion tools (including PayPal) is never accurate.

Let's say you are using a US based website, and you want to build and you only have say $1500 to spend (CAD), maybe you'll end up spending $1650 because the conversion methods are fairly inaccurate. So yeah, CAD vs USD matters.

5 minutes ago, SeanChronicR said:

If I see USD price my brain just auto magically translates into CAD in a ball park estimate... so it’s not that big of a deal to me

Also IMO LMG does a good job at representing Canada and Canadian Values I think it’s really apparent with just the general vibe of the content and how humble and authentic everyone is... 

I can guarantee you someone like Marques, iJustine or Edgar wouldn’t be caught dead on video in ratty painting clothes... 

I get what you're saying. But... I don't. I assume that he would be willing accommodate his native viewers. I would. Wouldn't you?

As for Edgar and Marques, I have no clue who they are. If you mean Marques Brownlee, I don't care about his content personally. As for iJustine... I really, really, really don't like her XD The reason I like the youtubers I like is because they are authentic. 

EDIT: I don't sub to people who are authentic, and never will. I value honesty in terms of who and what they represent.

@Midevil Chaos ill point a mistake you keeping maaking.

You keep using the term "deserve" and "disrespect". Neither of these things apply here. No country is deserving over another regardless of LMG's production output. LMG caters to a world market. There is only disrespect if he hold higher one over another. The US dollar is the world standard in trade monetarily.

You mention actors and yet none of those actors cheer Canada, are you going to jump onto another horse to demand they start doing the same? I don't believe you will.

Linus makes mention of the Canadian dollar many times in his videos, if you watch, you would notice. Outside this your argument and complaint has been heard and frankly holds little water for much.

Canadian currency fluctuates much more than the US dollar.

And yes the US dollar has been the standard trade monetary for over a century. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER