Potentially Intel Inside everything: Pat Gelsinger anounces renewal of foundry services

Results45
4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Maybe in your world.

Brand for CPUs is almost important as for PSUs...

Let us not speak of it.

I edit my posts more often than not

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I could actually see Apple doing that where possible just to appease intel.  It would have some advantages for its US manufactured stuff if there actually even is any.  They were talking about opening a plant at one point in the US but I’m not sure what actually came of it.  They can’t do that for CPUs currently because intel doesn’t have a small enough node.  Might be other chips they could do it for.  

I could as well. Apple may be the sort that prefers to control its own destiny where it can, but it might not want to burn bridges, either.

I mainly love the story arc this would represent. Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, Apple was the underdog trying to fight the Wintel monopoly. Apple had to concede to an ugly reality and depend on Intel chips for over a decade... but during that time, Apple grew into a beast while Intel was starting to wither away as it got complacent. Now, the roles are reversed and Intel is both fighting a negative perception of its chips while courting the possibility that it might be a contract manufacturer for Apple.

It's basically a decades-long lesson in why corporate hubris (that is, the assumption your company will reign supreme) is so dangerous.

33 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Maybe in your world.

He specifically said "normal consumers" and we're talking about people who do not browse tech forums, or watch videos and read benchmarks.

To those people, like my grandma, and something like 90% of the general population, CPU brand is completely irrelevant. They don't know the difference between AMD and Intel.

20 hours ago, Amias said:

I got my girlfriend an intel inside phone 7 years ago. Whoops. That was a mistake.

Zenfone? 

On 3/27/2021 at 11:26 AM, Results45 said:

Doesn't look like anybody else has a thread on this yet so here goes.........

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16575/intels-x86-designs-no-longer-limited-to-intel-on-intel-ip-blocks-for-foundry-cores-on-tsmc

It looks like Intel is aiming to offer TSMC/Samsung/GloFlo-style foundry capacity to clients wanting orders of custom x86 and RISC processors by 2023 and maybe even FPGA, MIPS, Power, analog, and other kinds of architectures later on.

So........my iPhone, laptop, eGPU, PS5, PC, Tesla, Roomba, and AR glasses might all soon have Intel Inside®?

I mean Intel nowadays just wants to be inside your computer, whether it be in the form of that wireless card or that optane SSD or maybe something else, who knows ?

1 hour ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

I mean Intel nowadays just wants to be inside your computer, whether it be in the form of that wireless card or that optane SSD or maybe something else, who knows ?

My AMD-based system will have four Intel things in it once I upgrade my motherboard.

2x Optane SSDs, an Ethernet card, and a WiFi card.

It currently has two - Optane and Ethernet.

Intel is Inside Everything!

Also, major memes if AMD buys some of Intel's production capacity.

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

My AMD-based system will have four Intel things in it once I upgrade my motherboard.

2x Optane SSDs, an Ethernet card, and a WiFi card.

It currently has two - Optane and Ethernet.

Intel is Inside Everything!

Intel does do some kickass ethernet and wifi

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/29/2021 at 4:29 AM, FakeKGB said:

AMD needs more production capacity as TSMC is too busy (it is like an orgy where everyone from apple to who-ever is trynna f*kc TSMC + water shortage in taiwan). Didn't AMD use to own global foundries ?

10 hours ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

AMD needs more production capacity as TSMC is too busy (it is like an orgy where everyone from apple to who-ever is trynna f*kc TSMC + water shortage in taiwan). Didn't AMD use to own global foundries ?

GloFo was AMD's manufacturing division that was spun off.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

GloFo was AMD's manufacturing division that was spun off.

Why though ? wouldn't that help AMD like rn ?

24 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Why though ? wouldn't that help AMD like rn ?

Because they bought ATI. Literately, the ATI merger was 2006 and the GloFlo spin off was 2008.

The irony is that merger resulted in AMD divesting off the mobile divisions which ultimately created the GPU part's (Imageon) used by Qualcomm (Adreno), and also (Xilleon) Broadcom (which IPO'd in 2008.)

It's a bit ironic really, Qualcomm and Broadcom also started weaponizing their patents against each other around the same time.

Had AMD not spun that tech off, they might have had a SoC competitive with Apple's, but they're not making smartphones, let alone Smartphone SoC's. AMD's tech wound up in the game consoles, and the Mobile IP GPU parts were in PDA's and some early feature phones. But AMD didn't actually make the chips.

So ultimately it was probably for the best that it was spun off so that they could license their ip's out to other fabs. Where as Intel wants that business, but does not as of yet have a competitive process node for it. Though 14nm is probably fine for parts that aren't mobile and don't necesarily have a high power budget, (eg vehicles, and other "always on" IoT devices)

19 hours ago, Results45 said:

Ah The OG Intel phone.

More like POS.

It literally couldn't reach the end of the day on one charge.

45 minutes ago, Amias said:

More like POS.

It literally couldn't reach the end of the day on one charge.

None of em could really back then.  I found it really annoying myself as a PDA(pim) addict.  Smart phones killed PDAs but things like a psion5 or a palm pilot could go for a week or more on a single set of aaas.  Didn’t even need to bother with rechargeable batteries.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.