Is LOL its own word now?

FileCorrupted

Do you think lol is its own word? When I type lol, i never think laugh out loud, and I never do Laugh Out Loud. Lol has gained its own meaning, it doesn't just means you laughed, it means you found something funny to even the slightest degree, therefore, it is no longer laughing out loud. Lol means Lol imo

It's kind of stupid because we added swag, selfie and twerking to the oxford dictionary, I feel lol has a place too.

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Do you think lol is its own word? When I type lol, i never think laugh out loud, and I never do Laugh Out Loud. Lol has gained its own meaning, it doesn't just means you laughed, it means you found something funny to even the slightest degree, therefore, it is no longer laughing out loud. Lol means Lol imo

lol is just a way to express laughter through text

if someone said "blablabla" online and you type 'lol', that probably means that if they said it to your face you would laugh in response

if you WOULDN'T laugh, then you probably shouldn't be typing 'lol'

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

no it will never be a word on its own since it belongs to a informal context

Its all about those volumetric clouds

It's kind of stupid because we added swag, selfie and twerking to the oxford dictionary, I feel lol has a place too.

Swag was already a word meaning free stuff. As for the other things, people just like to fuel stupidity so they themselves can be just as "cool".

whats next? Wut?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Yep. It just means laughing not "laugh out loud" now. It also meets word criteria because it has a vowel and consonants.

lol is just a way to express laughter through text

if someone said "blablabla" online and you type 'lol', that probably means that if they said it to your face you would laugh in response

if you WOULDN'T laugh, then you probably shouldn't be typing 'lol'

Geuss you never read my full post huh? I specifically say that it used to be Laugh Out Loud but has become something else, therefore its own word

see when i see lol i dont' think funny i think drowning person... if you dont understand just stare at it for a while. lol

It isnt stupid at all. If you realised what a dictionary was, you would realise why it isnt stupid.

It is a book that lists the words of a language. The word "lol", "swag" (which has multiple meanings, and has existed for hundreds of years), and "selfie" are words that are used in our language today, so why wouldnt it appear in the oxford english dictionary? The OED is the largest English dictionary.

It's funny how "lol" has really lost its impact and now if something genuinely funny to me I just type out the onomatopoeia instead.  Now "lol" is just used as a half-assed response to something dumb or somewhat funny.

Geuss you never read my full post huh? I specifically say that it used to be Laugh Out Loud but has become something else, therefore its own word

No i did and my statement still stands as it belongs to a informal context , thats why no other slang word is recognized in formal literature.

as for the pretense of lol deviating from being an abbreviation to its own definition there has been afew to think where the ground work shifts over time - this is the same with many words in the English literature

but lol and laugh out loud are still connected as lol has not formed its own groundwork to be seen as an independent slang word

It's an initialism, commonly miscalled an "acronym."

It's not an abbreviation either. ;)

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

you learn something everyday :D

You could pronounce "lol" as a word (lawl), but it's not commonplace, like the acronym "OSHA," for example.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

No i did and my statement still stands as it belongs to a informal context , thats why no other slang word is recognized in formal literature.

as for the pretense of lol deviating from being an abbreviation to its own definition there has been afew to think where the ground work shifts over time - this is the same with many words in the English literature

but lol and laugh out loud are still connected as lol has not formed its own groundwork to be seen as an independent slang word

Oh sorry I did not intentionally quote you, I was quoting the other two

You could pronounce "lol" as a word (lawl), but it's not commonplace, like the acronym "OSHA," for example.

What's "OSHA"?

osha-logo.gif

???

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

I think it is just a abbreviation of, more air just  came out of my nose than usual; hence, I wrote lol.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

haha yah

lol

|

|  |

lol     (really i did)

|

/\

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

According to oxford it is an abbreviation, but personally I think it fits closer to the definition of an acronym than an abbreviation.

Personally I don't like that they are adding words to the dictionary as fast as they are.  I don't mind updating it to reflect modern language, but sometimes it gets to the point where they are changing definitions and including misspellings because it is easier than educating people properly.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.