Are Chromebooks that Bad?

Despite some people's beliefs, chromebooks are actually good, and it's especially useful for those that do not have a lot of money to spend on hardware since ChromeOS runs pretty well on mediocre hardware that will struggle running windows, let alone other applications. And at least with the later versions of ChromeOS, to me it doesn't feel any more like just a browser, you have access to many android apps and linux. I have personally tried ChromeOS on an older system I had laying around and had no issues whatsoever and I even ended up installing Visual Studio Code so I could do some programming and everything worked pretty well. Chromebooks are in many ways the successor to the netbooks of yesterday, except better (or at least I'd like to think so).

Still, I personally find it a bit annoying when tech youtubers like Linus or Austin Evans often dismiss ChromeOS because it can't run x or y and fail to understand or barely mention the target audience at which the OS and the devices running it is aimed at, after all there's a reason to why most chromebooks are priced sub 300$.

52 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

they are good but sometimes a shit ton pricier i would like to pay for, like $380 about just for a celeron n4020 no hdmi (two usb type c) and some just garbage 4gb ram ive used one the wifi on it can sometimes like not give consistent connection, also why a 768p screen, color accuracy is also garbage, and thats for almost $400, if i could just get $200 more i could afford a gaming laptop/work desktop lower end (a new one at $400 you can get an older anything laptop)

That sounds like a scam, a Lenovo Ideapad 3 which basically sound exactly like the laptop you're describing, same cpu, amount of memory, usb c ports. In the UK it costs about 180GBP which equates to just under 250 USD

5 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Despite some people's beliefs, chromebooks are actually good, and it's especially useful for those that do not have a lot of money to spend on hardware since ChromeOS runs pretty well on mediocre hardware that will struggle running windows, let alone other applications. And at least with the later versions of ChromeOS, to me it doesn't feel any more like just a browser, you have access to many android apps and linux. I have personally tried ChromeOS on an older system I had laying around and had no issues whatsoever and I even ended up installing Visual Studio Code so I could do some programming and everything worked pretty well. Chromebooks are in many ways the successor to the netbooks of yesterday, except better (or at least I'd like to think so).

Still, I personally find it a bit annoying when tech youtubers like Linus or Austin Evans often dismiss ChromeOS because it can't run x or y and fail to understand or barely mention the target audience at which the OS and the devices running it is aimed at, after all there's a reason to why most chromebooks are priced sub 300$.

agree fully

41 minutes ago, ComradeCoconut said:

type c on a laptop is cringe

for charging that is

Why?

That's exactly the sort of use case that the USB type C spec is intended for. Your laptop isn't charging at phone speeds unless you use a really low quality power supply; there's a protocol which allows devices to negotiate a higher voltage and current so they charge at the same speed they would if they were still using an old-style barrel plug

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Why?

That's exactly the sort of use case that the USB type C spec is intended for. Your laptop isn't charging at phone speeds unless you use a really low quality power supply; there's a protocol which allows devices to negotiate a higher voltage and current so they charge at the same speed they would if they were still using an old-style barrel plug

i didnt understand that it had the same power delivery

As much as I don't like ChromeOS, it does look like the future of consumer operating systems. People want to use their computer as an appliance, none of the big three operating systems are simple enough for that, but ChromeOS is. It doesn't have the jank of Windows, not the complexity of MacOS, nor the ultra extreme complexity and modularity of GNU/Linux. ChromeOS could reach that potential if devs started making native apps for it.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

For the right use they are brilliant bits of kit. 

Their marketing sucks, they try to make it what it is not.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

Chromebooks are dope, most people hate em cause they don't judge them for what they are designed to do. Yeah it's kind of a niche thing but there is a very large amount of people (even excluding schools/students) that can have all their computing needs satisfied with a basic internet browsing device. Chromebooks excel at this.

I was considering just commenting a "no" but figured I'd spend a minute writing out my argument so I wouldn't have to repeat it to all the twelve year olds who try and tell me how shit they are because they can't run Fortnite.

Ok. To anyone who says chromebooks aren't THAT bad, take a look at the ads. It says it's a gaming laptop. Tried that, and if u asked me what a gaming laptop was, I would say WINDOWS. Chromebooks don't do what the ads SAY they can do. I'm sorry, but this post just didn't see any chromebook ads. watch em and see why we hate em so much. They're horrendously misleading and if u wanted a gaming laptop and got a chromebook? Yeah these things suck balls in ways of spreading fake new about them actually being good for other things other than browsing the internet.

Ok, no. NO! Pls don't tell me people are actually saying these things are good. Can I even call them things instead of monstrosities? Like I have a chromebook, and everything these people said it could do, it DIDN'T. Not because of the wrong type, or model. It's strongly because these things suck. They suck all balls. Sorry, they really do. Idk what u tell me. Sure it can run linux and android, but look at the ads...      ..............   Yeah it says alot of fake stuff about what it can do. I mean just pls stop praising these devices! Your kissing it's feet, might as well be a hidden google account tryna sell these things! Just stop it. GET SOME HELP. The fact that caps lock key requires 2 buttons at the same time is also crappy! They dumbed down everything a.. BETTER laptop could do. And linus made great points, don't go against him bro. Ur goin up against a full frickin army who agrees with this whole comment, trust me. Ur not fooling anyone.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, AndreiArgeanu said:

Some people's FACTS. Not beliefs, facts. Yeah I said it, FACTS. Chromebooks suck bro.

2 minutes ago, Bigboiinanut said:

Some people's FACTS. Not beliefs, facts. Yeah I said it, FACTS. Chromebooks suck bro.

Opinions. They're opinions. ChromeBooks aren't objectively bad and they have their place in their market. They may not be suitable for you but that doesn't make it garbage. I don't understand why you're so frustrated.  I've used ChromeOS myself on my laptop and had no issues doing my day to day work like coding as I've previously mentioned. Just because YOU don't like them, or YOU find them unsuitable doesn't mean everyone else does as well. They're your beliefs, they don't count as facts. 

image.png.041a1a257ef8f314d7cdcbbd419ee0d3.png

They aren't that bad, but I dont recommend them.

Holy fuck Scott The Woz

6 hours ago, Bigboiinanut said:

Ur goin up against a full frickin army who agrees with this whole comment, trust me.

"Ooh, you'll see! You'll all see!!! We, the Linus cult, are just waiting in the shadows!"

This is the most hilarious attempt to try and further a point that I have ever seen, period. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Ok. To anyone who says chromebooks aren't THAT bad, take a look at the ads. It says it's a gaming laptop. Tried that, and if u asked me what a gaming laptop was, I would say WINDOWS. Chromebooks don't do what the ads SAY they can do. I'm sorry, but this post just didn't see any chromebook ads. watch em and see why we hate em so much. They're horrendously misleading and if u wanted a gaming laptop and got a chromebook? Yeah these things suck balls in ways of spreading fake new about them actually being good for other things other than browsing the internet.

If you know literally anything about tech, you'd know to ignore the ads regardless of what product they are advertising. I would assume they were advertised as "gaming laptops" when paired with Stadia or other streaming platforms, and regardless, they are capable of light gaming themselves; the issue there is that nearly all Chromebooks are lower-end devices with Pentiums or other kinda shit CPUs for gaming (but that are totally fine for a Chromebook's intended purpose: web browsing and basic school or office work).

Your kissing it's feet, might as well be a hidden google account tryna sell these things!

And linus made great points, don't go against him bro. Ur goin up against a full frickin army who agrees with this whole comment, trust me. Ur not fooling anyone.

Ironic lel

This is not a fact. It's your opinion.

Also I seem to have struck a nerve with my original comment, specifically the "figured I'd spend a minute writing out my argument so I wouldn't have to repeat it to all the twelve year olds who try and tell me how shit they are because they can't run Fortnite" part, considering the very thing you quoted me to complain about was their inability to play AAA games at max settings. In that case: cry harder lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈