Are Chromebooks that Bad?

1 minute ago, jrhaberland said:

My school makes them nearly unusable because of all the things they have installed on them. It's also funny cause they disabled all apps, themes, and extensions from the chrome web store.

yeah my school packs a shit tone of bloatware chrome extensions on to our chromebooks

Just now, ComradeCoconut said:

yeah i agree

people who use overpriced macbooks, use a chromebook orrr, get some older macbook stop spedning over 2k dollars just to run zoom, word, and sometimes some programming software, lie my cousin but he got a 50%discount from his friend and he was literally FORCED to buy the i9 version because for some reason they didnt have the option he checks two days later, and there it fucking is he got so ripped off

1 minute ago, ComradeCoconut said:

yeah my school packs a shit tone of bloatware chrome extensions on to our chromebooks

then they like "iTs YoUr InTeRnEt" me opens up bad looking task manager, WHAT ARE THESE BACKGROUND APPS

4 minutes ago, ComradeCoconut said:

somehow you quouted my chromebooks exact specs

we have same chromebook

my school chromebooks come with garbage 4gb or ram, with a chrome os, with chrome browser, with atleast 10 tabs open for school, with a 40gb hard drive, boots take 20 seconds for me, 768p screen garbage color they block evreything that can help me in life bruh school stop blockign evreything im not gonna hack your god damn district, let me use pnterest, 

1 minute ago, FakeFBI said:

we have same chromebook

hp chromebook 11 G6 EE?

then they like "iTs YoUr InTeRnEt" me opens up bad looking task manager, WHAT ARE THESE BACKGROUND APPS

i know i went in a zoom meeting with my superindentant and made him unintsall all the shit but he undid it the next day

hp chromebook 11 G6 EE?

mines chromebook 3100 2 in 1 we used to use those i think we got upgrade this year, 

Just now, FakeFBI said:

mines chromebook 3100 2 in 1 we used to use those i think we got upgrade this year, 

ah then i think we have differnt CPUs so also that means differnt chromebooks

2 minutes ago, ComradeCoconut said:

ah then i think we have differnt CPUs so also that means differnt chromebooks

we still got same cpu from last year tho !1!1!1!1!

we still got same cpu from last year tho !1!1!1!1!

yeee! poggy woggy

Depends on the use case, for a lot of people theyre pretty good for the price. Think of what the average user needs, web browsing and a basic office suite, and theyre good for that.

Hardware wise, pretty lame, low power celerons and pentiums are outclassed by even my 10 year old thinkpad at this point, but that has its benefits of being adequate for the use case and low power, good on battery life.

Cheaper ones have pretty mediocre screens, then again so does any cheap laptop.

The software and firmware is where it gets interesting, a lot of chromebooks now use Coreboot, which is FOSS AF, and highly recommended among niche computer hobbyists particular in my field of Thinkpad stuff. As well ChromeOS is actually pretty well designed and really light for what it is, ironic from google.

You can take those cheap little machines and do a LOT with them if you know how, because in the end at its base its a corebooted machine designed to run linux. If you can work with that, you can do some cool things.

And then at the same time theyre great daily use machines for the everyday user.

yeee! poggy woggy

i meant i didnt get a cpu upgrade, just screen about it tbh, oh and istead of an seperate charging port we use type c

12 minutes ago, ComradeCoconut said:

type c on a laptop is cringe

for charging that is

Uhh, what? How? These days it's easy to find a USB-C charger, and you don't have to worry about forgetting the charger for your laptop at home or work or anywhere else. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, ProjectBox153 said:

Uhh, what? How? These days it's easy to find a USB-C charger, and you don't have to worry about forgetting the charger for your laptop at home or work or anywhere else. 

ok?

ok?

You're the one who said USB-C for charging is a bad thing, so I responded with some good points about it. Isn't this supposed to be a discussion?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

nah

Main Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 5600x  Motherboard: Msi b450 gaming plus max  RAM: 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz ram  GPU: Nvidia rtx 2070 SUPER 8gb Case:  cooler master td500   PSU: corsair 750watt bronze80+  Cooling: Kraken x53 aio Storagewdblack snd750,3tb wd blue hdd

2nd Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3  RAM: 16gb 3000mhz gskill Aegis  GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650super 4gb  Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB Airflow PSU: corsair cx 550watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler Storage: adata su635 240gb ssd, seagate 750gb 7200rpm hdd

3rd pc CPU: i7 2600 Motherboard: asus H61M-E  RAM: 16 gb ddr3 1333mhz GPU: nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Case: thermaltake versa h18 PSU: evga 450watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) Mini CPU Cooler Storage: crucial mx 500 500gb ssd, wd blue 1tb 7200rpm hdd 

You're the one who said USB-C for charging is a bad thing, so I responded with some good points about it. Isn't this supposed to be a discussion?

for a chromebook yes its really good but i was more referring to more like an HP Pavillion for example

for a chromebook yes its really good but i was more referring to more like an HP Pavillion for example

I still don't understand your point there. 

I still don't understand your point there. 

never mind 

never mind 

If you don't explain what you're trying to say then I don't get the point of replying. Is it that larger laptops have larger batteries and take longer to charge? Something else?

If you don't explain what you're trying to say then I don't get the point of replying. Is it that larger laptops have larger batteries and take longer to charge? Something else?

yes, a deticated 19.5 volt charger is usually faster adn reliable than some random usb type c cable, after a 2 year of use f my battery its garbage battery life maybe 6 hours

1 minute ago, ProjectBox153 said:

eh thats a good point

yes, a deticated 19.5 volt charger is usually faster adn reliable than some random usb type c cable, after a 2 year of use f my battery its garbage battery life maybe 6 hours

kinda what i was talking about but i just dont get the point of putting whats bassicly a phone charging port on a compiter

dont get me wrong i love USB-C but i just think that you could get better power deliviery in a differnt connecter you can get a USB-C charger with a power brick but ussaly dont count on it

5 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

USB-C can do up to 20V, and AFAIK up to 100W. The health of your battery is not related to whether or not it charges through USB-C. I personally find USB-C very handy as I can use cables of whatever length I need. I use a short one in my office, a slightly longer one in my car, and a 10 ft. cable everywhere else, and it still charges my laptop fine. Plus, if you break the cable, you can just replace it. With a traditional barrel connector you'd have to solder on a new connector/cable, or replace the entire power supply. That's pretty wasteful. 

kinda what i was talking about but i just dont get the point of putting whats bassicly a phone charging port on a compiter

dont get me wrong i love USB-C but i just think that you could get better power deliviery in a differnt connecter you can get a USB-C charger with a power brick but ussaly dont count on it

The thing with USB-C is that it's designed to be universal, so it can still supply a whole lot of power, just like traditional chargers can.