Apple probably won't put USB-C on it's phones for a while

This is going to be a short post.

I honestly think that instead of craving to pressure and new regulations, Apple will maintain that it's Lightning connector is the only acceptable one. In places where they will be required due to new regulations, they will probably put a USB-C to lightning connector in the box, then maybe include a lightning cable for good measure. They are going to fight this like the auto industry fought seat belts and air bags - drag it out and make a big fuss over it.

What do you guys think?

note: I have no idea how these regulations are worded

Edited by Catt0s
edit

If the current rumors are anything to go by, apple is rumored to be moving slowly to portless phones over the next few years, first with top of the line models, then eventually most or all models. We may never see an iPhone with a USB-C port, though I hope the rumors are false and the phones do get USB-C. 

Portless design is frankly an awful idea. Wireless charging, while convenient, gets hot, degrading the battery. If they were to transition, they'd better make a more repairable phone, and/or make 1st party batteries available. USB-C would be a much better solution, and maybe they could have some sort of desktop mode  

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

It won't matter since the 13 won't have any usb/power port.

Wireless charging only.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

1 hour ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

Portless design is frankly an awful idea. Wireless charging, while convenient, gets hot, degrading the battery. If they were to transition, they'd better make a more repairable phone, and/or make 1st party batteries available. USB-C would be a much better solution, and maybe they could have some sort of desktop mode  

Agreed.

But they can, so they will.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

I can’t think of any reason why Apple phones would use USB-C. It would create mountains of e-waste in a few years. A gradual move to port-less, starting with Flagship is far more likely.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to Phones and Tablets

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

It won't matter since the 13 won't have any usb/power port.

Wireless charging only.

The latest from Ming-Chi Kuo (the analyst who's generally good about following the Apple supply chain) says the 2021 iPhones will still have Lightning ports.

There is a possibility Apple is laying the groundwork for portless phones, but I suspect that won't happen unless it's completely confident in wireless charging as a solution. And I don't think MagSafe counts, at least not yet.

dumb question, if there's no usb-c port, how do I charge my phone over my monitor, there's no "lighting" port on it whatsoever? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

dumb question, if there's no usb-c port, how do I charge my phone over my monitor, there's no "lighting" port on it whatsoever? 

Well, it no longer seems likely that the new iPhone will go portless, but if it did... well, you'd need a wireless charging pad that can plug into your monitor's USB ports.