Letting a video card sit around?

Destroprime

What happens if I buy a graphics card, let’s say a GTX 2070-80 or an rx 6800 and let it sit for 2 years or so? Would there be any irreparable damage? I am planning a build but I am sure I want one of these cards, not about the other parts though. I couldn’t find any relevant information on this.

Just 'letting it sit' won't be a back deal, provided it's not in a particularly humid environment.

I wouldn't recommend doing it though because:

1. You would want to test your graphics card, so you know for sure it's not a DOA

2. You don't know if the graphics card is still the right option for you in two years (there may be newer better options out there)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There shouldn't be any sort of damage as long as you don't store it in wet or high temperature areas.

But why would you buy a RTX 2070/80 now and let it sit around for two years?

You would be better off buying a RTX 3070/3080 in two years rather than spending your budget now on a 2000 series GPU

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

If you store it well there won't be a problem but why would you want to do that?

If you buy the card now it will be outdated by the time you end up building the system and you end up with far worse hardware for the money.

2 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

But why would you buy a RTX 2070/80 now and let it sit around for two years?

people who bought GPU two years ago before covid could turn a huge profit by selling them this year, just saying

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

people who bought GPU two years ago before covid could turn a huge profit by selling them this year, just saying

If you want to speculate on higher prices please just do that with crypto or on the stock market and leave our gaming hardware alone.

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

Just now, Moonzy said:

Yeah but this is an exception basically. Normally this doesn't happen and cards lose value.

Just now, SEAL62 said:

If you want to speculate on higher prices please just do that with crypto or on the stock market and leave our gaming hardware alone.

it's an asset, and people may do what they please with their own things

you probably don't wanna debate on this with me

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah but this is an exception basically. Normally this doesn't happen and cards lose value.

just saying, lol

half joking anyways

Just now, Moonzy said:

it's an asset, and people may do what they please with their own things

you probably don't wanna debate on this with me

Not talking about you more like a general opinion. If scalpers would move to sneakers again instead of GPUs we would all have an easier time trying to build our master race rigs.

HP Envy x360 Convertible

2 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

If scalpers would move to sneakers again instead of GPUs we would all have an easier time trying to build our master race rigs.

scalpers just raise the price, they have nothing to do with availability

it's still very scarce, availability wise, so scalper contributed to higher price, but not less GPU on the market

but the price is only valid if people are paying for it, so scalpers arent entirely to be blamed

not that im saying it's bad as it's natural for price to rise if supply is low and demand is high.

@Moonzy well scalpers having storages with 20+ GPUs that else would be filled with sneakers or other stuff contribute to those cards not being present on the market. If people who normally would buy these cards can't afford them for 2 times the msrp and there are storages filled with these cards then they are a major part of the whole situation.

So if they wouldn't speculate on rising prices or being able to sell their stuff for more than they bought it for we would have a way better distribution and a better price.

HP Envy x360 Convertible

5 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

well scalpers having storages with 20+ GPUs that else would be filled with sneakers or other stuff contribute to those cards not being present on the market.

if you wanna blame someone for availability, it would be better pinned on miners than scalpers

i myself own 11 ampere gpus, which contributes to the shortage more than your average gamer joe (who still contributes to the shortage, just to a lesser degree, anyone who buys a GPU contributes to the shortage and lack of supply)

and i have no plan to release the GPU to the market anytime soon, unlike scalpers

but the root cause is still nvidia unable to pump out enough chips, which is probably due to covid and such

scalpers don't want to keep too much stock, tech stuff price will drop eventually, they know they have to move them fast while it's still a sought after item, but that's my assumption.

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

scalpers just raise the price, they have nothing to do with availability

it's still very scarce, availability wise, so scalper contributed to higher price, but not less GPU on the market

They do have something to do with "reachable" availability.

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

scalpers don't want to keep too much stock, tech stuff price will drop eventually, they know they have to move them fast while it's still a sought after item, but that's my assumption.

On my local auction site there have been cards sitting on shelves for weeks if not months simply because scalpers put them at prices nobody will pay for and keep them there on the off chance someone will buy at some point...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

They do have something to do with "reachable" availability.

On my local auction site there have been cards sitting on shelves for weeks if not months simply because scalpers put them at prices nobody will pay for.

that's not an availability issue, that's a pricing issue

pricing will drop if no one buys them, that's how basic economics work i suppose.

though i dont study economy so i may be wrong.

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

pricing will drop if no one buys them

Yes eventually but they don't seem to be in a hurry, and it's still months of no one getting their hands on that card just cause some moron insisted in trying to make a load of cash. So the pricing issue causes an availability issue. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

that's not an availability issue, that's a pricing issue

pricing will drop if no one buys them, that's how basic economics work i suppose.

though i dont study economy so i may be wrong.

you're not completely wrong, unfortunately in a supply constrained market it only takes a handful of idiots to stoke scalpers to keep their prices up and wait. Personally hope a bunch of them get burnt but if we're being honest its not likely

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes eventually but they don't seem to be in a hurry, and it's still months of no one getting their hands on that card just cause some moron insisted in trying to make a load of cash. So the pricing issue causes an availability issue. 

6 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

you're not completely wrong, unfortunately in a supply constrained market it only takes a handful of idiots to stoke scalpers to keep their prices up and wait.

it's just how the free market is, i suppose

dont buy it if you're unhappy with the price

we dont complain (to this degree) that nvidia is charging $1000+ for their top tier cards, why yell at other when they do sell it at that price? MSRP has nothing to do with street value, imo.

just like no 2nd hand old GPU will be sold at their original MSRP, no high demand item will be sold at MSRP.

i would argue that whoever sells ampere gpu at MSRP is kinda dum dum when there's people willing to pay more for it, business is business.

6 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Personally hope a bunch of them get burnt but if we're being honest its not likely

that would be going too far, in my book anyways

unless they're affecting me in a major way, i do not wish ill upon others.

from their perspective, they're trying to better their financial situation and that's entirely understandable in my eyes

i just dont buy any from them