Do you think would life be more or less precious if it was infinite.

Wictorian

If life is infinite,then you can't loose it.

But that doesn't matter,people have people they like,and their lives are precious to them regardless of it's length.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

If life is infinite,then you can't loose it.

But that doesn't matter,people have people they like,and their lives are precious to them regardless of it's length.

There is Biological Immortality, but lifeforms that have that, can still be killed.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:58 PM, Eschew said:

🤔

Mixed feelings about attributing meaning/"preciousness" to a life based on a numerical value (i.e. lifespan). In my eyes, value -- value applicable to individual existances/lives, that is -- is something that's closely tied to that individual's merit. A person afflicted with a terrible disease that shortens their lifespan and that does no respectable deeds won't earn much much of my respect and I won't value their life, sad to say. But another person with the same lifespan, but that lives out their life to the fullest and enriches the lives of others around them will definitely be someone I'd admire. In both cases, lifespan might draw some sympathy from me, but it ultimately has very little bearing on how much meaning I attribute to the person's existance.

TLDR: Show me your moves. captain_falcon.jpg

Respect and value is earned, not given or demanded, IMO.

Just my opinion, though.  😁

I think my question is like asking if a 1,5 hour movie is better or a 2,5 hour one, making it obsolete, at this point I would like to change it to "If life was infinite (biologically which means no aging) would it be ultimately less precious?". 

If you say it doesn't, then we are actually on the same page. 

3 hours ago, Wictorian said:

"If life was infinite would it be ultimately less precious?". 

If you say it doesn't, then we are actually on the same page.

...We are not on the same page. I think we're reading through different books entirely. 😅

If I were to break it down simply:

• You are asking whether I agree with Choice A (more precious) or Choice B (less precious) in response to a question.
  • I am saying neither Choice A nor Choice B reflects my opinion, that I don't agree with the implications behind the question (the implication being value directly correlates with lifespan).

A small, polite request, if you will. Please do not quote me in further replies to this thread. I've run out of patience and interest in this topic repeating the same point over and over, using different words. Thank you. 😅 (To put it bluntly, I will not respond anymore even if you were to quote me in this thread.)

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

I haven't read through the whole thing, but I think the topic is a bit interesting.

My take is this: To the person who's immortal, their life is less meaningful. Without finite time, there's a lot less pressure to make the most of it -thus a lot less value in your time.

However, as an entity, an immortal would represent so much experience and potential that there's hardly even comparison.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

18 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I haven't read through the whole thing, but I think the topic is a bit interesting.

My take is this: To the person who's immortal, their life is less meaningful. Without finite time, there's a lot less pressure to make the most of it -thus a lot less value in your time.

However, as an entity, an immortal would represent so much experience and potential that there's hardly even comparison.

What I meant by earlier is it doesn't necessarily have to make it less precious.

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

What I meant by earlier is it doesn't necessarily have to make it less precious.

Depends if they consider their life to worth living or not. And of course id it is possible that they could be killed or not.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Depends if they consider their life to worth living or not. And of course id it is possible that they could be killed or not.

I assume they can be killed for it to actually make sense.

25 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

I assume they can be killed for it to actually make sense.

Some Species of Man O' Wars don't die of old age, but they can still die or be killed.

1 hour ago, Tillamook233 said:

Knowing that we would have a theoretical infinite lifespan raises many questions. When there is enough people, what will happen if we reach Earths capacity? What would our biological limit be? Memory capacity? Also, if our lifespan were theoretically infinite, people would slack off because they would know that they would have the rest of time to do what they can/should now.

Well we slack off too because we have so much time

-Comments merged-

@Wictorian, please use multi-quote for your replies to keep everything in one comment. Replying rapidly in succession is seen as a form of spam on the forums. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25