Is there a way to prevent anyone from viewing my files if I lose external harddrive?

I lost my flashdrive few months ago and all my accounts and passwords stored in it got hacked. I have like almost hundred of accounts like gmail, microsoft, aws, ebay, paypal, vultr, digital ocean with different strong passwords that I couldn't remember.

I have recovered most of my accounts and I want to prevent similar event in the future, so I'd like to know how to  prevent anyone that is not me from viewing files inside portable flashdrive/harddrive?

You keep your passwords in plain text in a flash drive? Well you asked for it. I never keep important data unencrypted, I use veracrypt containers or I just encrypt the whole drive. Most importantly never keep my passwords on a USB drive.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So let me get this straight. You had all of your passwords on a USB drive and was talking it with you, and didn't have it encrypted? 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Did you just have plain-text passwords on an unencrypted drive? Lmfao

Use an actual password manager and encrypt the drive.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

So let me get this straight. You had all of your passwords on a USB drive and was talking it with you, and didn't have it encrypted? 

Yes and also in my laptop.

holy moly you got mauled by people disliking the fact that you don't encrypt your passwords, and i'm gonna join them

don't keep your passwords in plaintext, especially on removeable media

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Man wish this was a troll...

Password managers are great. They create super complex passwords that you do not need to remember. They can autofill so you never copy or paste and you just need to remember the master password...

There are plenty of encryption softwares or goodies out there. Just steer away from the ones hackers use.

Just now, flashiling said:

holy moly you got mauled by people disliking the fact that you don't encrypt your passwords, and i'm gonna join them

don't keep your passwords in plaintext, especially on removeable media

I wouldn't say mauled. Just really really REALLY got the "im disappointed in you" parental speech.

Just now, EpiCheeseTime said:

I wouldn't say mauled. Just really really REALLY got the "im disappointed in you" parental speech.

never seen 5 people comment on a post in less than 1 min before that's what i meant :D but you're right "mauled" probably makes it sound more extreme

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, flashiling said:

never seen 5 people comment on a post in less than 1 min before that's what i meant :D but you're right "mauled" probably makes it sound more extreme

I think we were all being hopeful that it was a troll. Then we got into it...and got internal sadness.

I had a VP do the same exact thing...brings back so many sleepless night lol

As others have suggested, encryption, as well as using a password manager rather than storing in plain text. 

Also, enable MFA on any service you can. Even if someone breaks the encryption and gets into the password manager, they still can't access your account without your MFA device/code.

As @Oshino Shinobu said ; on top of encryption and a password manager (like keepass if you want to stay offline), enable MFA on all the accounts that allow it. And don't use MFA as a failsafe and keep storing your passwords in plain text, while it helps, some MFA can be circumvented (it's a LOT harder though, but still)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

A password manager is probably a safer bet than storing passwords as plain text or just encrypting the whole drive if you really need to have them written down. 

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv