Vivo working on new foldable phone with a stylus that is held between the two screens

Summary

Chinese phone maker and subsidiary of BBK electronics VIVO is currently developing a foldable phone.

It is going to open like a book similar to Samsung's lineup.

the interesting part here is how the stylus is kept. Hope this project doesnt get trashed as this design is better than making a hole in your phone like the note series which takes up a lot of space inside the phone which can be used for stuff like bigger battery, better heat sinks etc .

Folding phone Vivo

Vivo foldable phone

As per the documentation, this design features an inward folding screen that unfolds into a tablet. In other words, it is identical to Samsung Galaxy Fold and Galaxy Z Fold2. But it sports a unique hinge design with a silo for a stylus.

This silo is nothing but a gap at the folding point of the display panel. Hence, the included stylus is as long as the device and has a tip made of soft rubber material to avoid scratches on the screen. Further, It does not fall from the silo when placed inside as it remains attached magnetically. Also, the damaged part of the stylus can be replaced.

My thoughts

It looks like this is more of a tablet that folds into a phone more than a phone that folds out into a tablet, keen on seeing its development.

The stylus is a very counter-intuitive design , we need to see how well it holds up.

Sources

https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/12/15/vivo-foldable-smartphone-design-stylus-patent/

https://en.letsgodigital.org/foldable-devices/vivo-foldable-smartphone/

https://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/vivo-working-on-foldable-smartphone-design-with-stylus/79760715

It looks interesting, but those concept images make it look like if you open the display without taking the stylus out first, it falls out. It also looks like if you want to use the full area of the display to e.g. watch a video, you have to take the stylus out and have somewhere else to put it (therefore running the risk of losing it) - otherwise, you have a huge white line down the middle of your video. Those two things will get old quickly.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

58 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It looks interesting, but those concept images make it look like if you open the display without taking the stylus out first, it falls out. It also looks like if you want to use the full area of the display to e.g. watch a video, you have to take the stylus out and have somewhere else to put it (therefore running the risk of losing it) - otherwise, you have a huge white line down the middle of your video. Those two things will get old quickly.

yeah.... now u said it this looks like a huge flaw. hmmm not sure what vivo does about it.

Could be interesting. If pocketable when foldable then yeah could be good.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Just don't lose it and problem solved. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I wouldn't ever choose to lose it! But I use my mobile phone in scenarios where I don't always have a sensible place to put something like that.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I wouldn't ever choose to lose it! But I use my mobile phone in scenarios where I don't always have a sensible place to put something like that.

Maybe attach the thing to the phone by a string. 

23 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Sure, I want a piece of string tied around my hugely expensive technologically advanced slab of glass, ruining the design aesthetic....

pythonmegapixel

11 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

if you open the display without taking the stylus out first, it falls out. 

10 hours ago, owwnoooo said:

yeah.... now u said it this looks like a huge flaw. hmmm not sure what vivo does about it.

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

6 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I wouldn't ever choose to lose it!

26 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Sure, I want a piece of string tied around my hugely expensive technologically advanced slab of glass, ruining the design aesthetic....

The Simpsons Episode 13 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

13 hours ago, owwnoooo said:

Hope this project doesnt get trashed as this design is better than making a hole in your phone like the note series.

I would beg to ague on that. The pen stays well out of the way for me. No issues of lossing it.

I dont the flaw in the design. 🤔

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You can use a technologically advanced string to make it match. Granted I have always been a function over esthetics type of person. 

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can use a technologically advanced string to make it match. Granted I have always been a function over esthetics type of person. 

Yeah, I also hate form over function..... but surely you can see how a piece of string tied around a touch screen impacts the function as well?

The ideal solution is (shock horror) to have a slot inside the device for the pen, or if there is no room for that, have the pen attach to the display with strong magnets. Apple and Samsung have been doing it for years at this point, and Vivo seem to me to be attempting to needlessly reinvent the wheel here.

pythonmegapixel

Vivo foldable phone

Also the stylus could make a huge crease in the middle . This makes Samsung's crease teeny-tiny

3 minutes ago, owwnoooo said:

Also the stylus could make a huge crease in the middle . This makes Samsung's crease teeny-tiny

As far as I can see then, it's basically a phone with two screens. The huge crease in the middle for the stylus - or indeed the stylus itself if you're not using it - seems that it prevents the whole screen from being one continuous thing without looking dreadful.

It's an interesting prospect, but I really can't see it catching on.

pythonmegapixel

13 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The Simpsons Episode 13 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

But what r u going to do if y want to watch a movie in tablet mode? the Stylus is going to make a crease in the middle . where will u keep it if u take it iut? or will you use it like a surface duo??LOL

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

As far as I can see then, it's basically a phone with two screens. The huge crease in the middle for the stylus - or indeed the stylus itself if you're not using it - seems that it prevents the whole screen from being one continuous thing without looking dreadful.

It's an interesting prospect, but I really can't see it catching on.

Yea even i felt it is just a surface duo with some "foldable" gimmick but vivo also knows if people of the internet know its flaws , that is why i'm keen on finding out how they will rectify this major flaw in their design.

On 1/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

I have posted a second image in the replies section that shows how the stylus is held on .

7 minutes ago, owwnoooo said:

Vivo foldable phone

Here you go

2 hours ago, owwnoooo said:

But what r u going to do if y want to watch a movie in tablet mode? the Stylus is going to make a crease in the middle . where will u keep it if u take it iut? or will you use it like a surface duo??LOL

Well you obviously dont magnetize it in the middle of the screen, put a plate along one of the edges that the pen can stick to and a magnet in the pen. There seems to be a lot of flat surface area on the side of the device, enough for a magnet built into the side of the pen to be able to snap itself to when the device is opened. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25