Does my motherboard have gigabit networking?

code99
Go to solution Solved by code99,

I solved the issue.

Called the call center and the nice lady there guided me to a setting in windows called "Speed and Duplex".

Told me to select the 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex value. It was Auto Negotiation before.

Now, when doing a speedtest i reach 940 Mbps downloads and 240 upload, pretty much the same as stated in my contract.

Thank you all for replying here!

Long story short, I just got my new internet connection installed at home. 

Its a 1 gigabit connection, that would be 100MB download speeds.

I just did a speed test and i only get 100 Mbps download and upload, like my old connection.

The technician dude told me to check if my mother board has gigabit network and if it does to call the provider and see whats what.

Now, i thought i had gigabit but i might be wrong.

My motherboard is: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING

The rest of the specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB RAM

RTX 3080 TUF OC

Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, code99 said:

The technician dude told me to check if my mother board has gigabit network and if it does to call the provider and see whats what.

My motherboard is: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING

It does have gigabit network:

1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-f-gaming-model/spec/

Have you tried different speedtest websites?
Speedtest.net, fast.com, try downloading a game for example.

Keep in mind the gigabit is the best possible scenario, so you might not consistently get those speeds.

Maybe you have a package for gigabit speeds, but maybe the cable in front of your house are not fit for those speeds. I'd ask for that one too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Everything between your computer and your ISP must support 1 gbps or higher in order for you to get 1 gbps or higher.

That particular motherboard has 1 gbps ethernet card ,  so it does 1 gbps. 

You may have a network switch or router or cable modem that only has 100 mbps ethernet ports in which case you have to upgrade that device to one with gigabit network ports.

If everything supports 1 gbps connections, then check your cable - it may be wired incorrectly or a wire or more may be broken in the cable.

For 100 mbps, only 4 out of the 8 wires in the cables are used, so often a bad cable or incorrectly made cable will cause the network card to fall back to 100 mbps.

I tried different sites for speed test and tried download games on steam.

Im getting the same speeds i had before, aprox 10MB

I know i wont be getting the full 1000Mbps, but it shouldnt be just 10 MB. 

I will call them and see whats happening

12 minutes ago, code99 said:

I tried different sites for speed test and tried download games on steam.

Im getting the same speeds i had before, aprox 10MB

I know i wont be getting the full 1000Mbps, but it shouldnt be just 10 MB. 

I will call them and see whats happening

Like @mariushm said, if anything between you and the ISP modem is 100Mbit then your computer will only do 100Mbit. (including badly wired/cheap ethernet cables)

So check your network and check the network connection speed in windows.

7 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Like @mariushm said, if anything between you and the ISP modem is 100Mbit then your computer will only do 100Mbit. (including badly wired/cheap ethernet cables)

So check your network and check the network connection speed in windows.

I see.

So it could be the wire that goes from the router to my pc right?

The technician looked at the wire and how it was wired up and said it was ok (he looked at the colored wires and their order).

My connection is fiber optics. They came with the fiber into my home so the only odd wire would be from the router to my pc, otherwise its a fiber optic connection from the provider to my home. 

What router+modem combo you using and what port you plugged into on the router? 

Also take a look at the RJ45 Male connector on your cable, some ISP's provide cables which only have 2 twisted pairs inside them (4 visible wires in the connector) where as you should see 4 twisted pairs (8 visible wires in the connector) to achieve full gigabit, they are a cheapo alternative that ISP's seem to think is acceptable.

I can't stop spending money my stupid home lab, help.

You will still need to check the connection speed in windows itself.

Right click the network icon in the bottom right and select "Network and Internet settings"

Then in the new window that pops up press the Properties below your Ethernet icon. In that windows it should say 1000/1000 (Mbps)

I solved the issue.

Called the call center and the nice lady there guided me to a setting in windows called "Speed and Duplex".

Told me to select the 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex value. It was Auto Negotiation before.

Now, when doing a speedtest i reach 940 Mbps downloads and 240 upload, pretty much the same as stated in my contract.

Thank you all for replying here!

This shouldn't be the solution tho, only in old hardware or hardware not built to specs should you have to select the speed manually.

Usually there is a reason why the auto negotiation dropped down to 100Mbit (bad quality wiring thus a lot of dropped packets).

Having said that, i know most ISP modems are build as cheaply as possible so might just be bad hardware :S 

9 minutes ago, Dujith said:

This shouldn't be the solution tho, only in old hardware or hardware not built to specs should you have to select the speed manually.

Usually there is a reason why the auto negotiation dropped down to 100Mbit (bad quality wiring thus a lot of dropped packets).

Having said that, i know most ISP modems are build as cheaply as possible so might just be bad hardware :S 

Could be a shoddy cable failing to conform to standards? I think that would fail an auto negotiate but still work

I can't stop spending money my stupid home lab, help.

All I know is that the speed is good.

The lady from the call center went straight to this setting, we didn't do any troubleshooting. 

Asked me what os I have and if my mobo has gigabit. 

I did a few tests in a bunch of games and ping is good, no packet losses, all was good

2 minutes ago, code99 said:

The lady from the call center went straight to this setting, we didn't do any troubleshooting. 

So prob something with their modem :D