Scrapyard Wars 2021 - Content Idea

Brox

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/khrkr9/scrapyard_wars_2021_content_idea/

So a few quick things - I have no idea if anyone at LTT actually reads this reddit, but I figured I'd post this here and see what happens. Secondly, while I love all the normal LTT content Scrapyard Wars is by far my favorite series. With the obviousness that 2020 made it impossible to actually safely do Scrapyard Wars, and with the hopes 2021 allows us to get another chapter of the series, I had a content idea for them:

• Scrapyard Wars - Budget Flippers
  • Two Teams with a budget of $600 USD (because I don't think GPU prices will drop by 2021)
  • 7 Days (4 days to scavenge / build their PCs) and 3 Days to Flip it for Profit.
  • Most Profit wins!

That's right this concept is simple - unlike previous seasons where its been about "scavenge the cheapest parts, and get it to run just long enough to complete benchmarks before the dumpster fire literally sets itself on fire"; this season it's about having a strict budget, sourcing the parts, building the best PC they can, BUT they need to ensure it's stability this season to the point they feel comfortable RESELLING it to another human being as a WORKING budget build. Meaning no consistent blue screens, can at least play E-Sports Titles on 1080p, and AAA titles on 720p Medium settings. They can still benchmark the machines to compare....

BUT the caveat to the season is after they are built - they then have to RESELL the unit for the most profit possible in 3 days! (PLUS their left over funds.) Highest overall total profit wins. Example:

• Linus spends his full $600 on the unit, Flips it for $800: Total Profit is $200
  • Luke spends only $400 on the unit, flips it for $500: Total Profit is $300 ($200 left in his $600 budget+$100 profit)

Luke wins.

There is no limitation to whom they can sell to in the 3 days - Private Sale, Pawn Shop, Local Store - however they feel they can get the most profit. (This also should ensure they at the least sell the unit by the end of the series, as they could Pawn it in most local Pawn Shops, but may not get a great return, or could they???)

Just my thought on what would be a cool series when they can do another new season. It takes the pressure off a bit about hitting benchmarks and focuses more on building a RELIABLE machine that they can comfortably feel morally correct about reselling, and gives viewers an idea of what a "Budget PC Flipper" would look like in the real world. No idea if anyone at LTT will see this, but just wanted to post it somewhere as a cool idea.

I like the idea. Better than the scores they had last time based on whoever was the better gamer.

Due to the pandemic I think it might be a while before they do another scrapyard wars series.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

I like the idea. Better than the scores they had last time based on whoever was the better gamer.

Due to the pandemic I think it might be a while before they do another scrapyard wars series.

Agreed, some of the restrictions in place here in British Columbia might make it a touch...difficult to have it this year, then again things could change too.

Realistically you're going to be looking at 2022 at the earliest before something like this would be possible. I like the idea, but there are some issues with it which might make it a little tricky to do:

• Having somewhere for people to pick it up; I don't think the LTT offices would really work.
  • Most people pick up Craigslist items in the evening, when they wouldn't be working.
  • That's three days of time spent doing other things. 
  • Selling something like this isn't as easy for a business, and can potentially open them up to legal action.

You might have better luck posting it in this thread:

41 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

The LTT staff doesn't really read this forum. And you should post this in the video suggestions thread.

They do. Especially if you tag them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, Brox said:

Total Profit is $300 ($200 left in his $600 budget+$100 profit)

That's going to be a problem - the winning strategy there is to not do anything, so you have a "profit" of $600. A small tweak to make it the team with the most money at the end would solve that though - Linus would have $800 and Luke $700 in that example.

HTTP/2 203

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

at 2022 at the earliest before something like this would be possible

I reckon mid-late 2021 would be rather possible. Even though some restrictions will still be there I expect those to be mild enough to allow for scrapyard wars. There's been plenty of TV and online shows that have pulled off similar activities during the summer of 2020 so I don't see why it couldn't be done next year.

On 12/26/2020 at 6:34 AM, colonel_mortis said:

That's going to be a problem - the winning strategy there is to not do anything, so you have a "profit" of $600. A small tweak to make it the team with the most money at the end would solve that though - Linus would have $800 and Luke $700 in that example.

*Doesn't spend money

*Wins by default

On 12/26/2020 at 6:34 AM, colonel_mortis said:

A lot of the time you can flip a put together system for a little more than the price of the parts.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:13 AM, Brox said:

• Linus spends his full $600 on the unit, Flips it for $800: Total Profit is $200
  • Luke spends only $400 on the unit, flips it for $500: Total Profit is $300 ($200 left in his $600 budget+$100 profit)

Buy for 10 quid give away for free I still win with 590 profit :)

On 12/26/2020 at 4:40 AM, akio123008 said:

I reckon mid-late 2021 would be rather possible. Even though some restrictions will still be there I expect those to be mild enough to allow for scrapyard wars. There's been plenty of TV and online shows that have pulled off similar activities during the summer of 2020 so I don't see why it couldn't be done next year.

They're getting tighter with restrictions, especially in BC. Plus there's tons of other videos they can work on in 2021, and put it off until 2022 when it's safer for all involved.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

• 4 weeks later...

if they are continuing scrapyard wars id love to join lol, made my own water-cooling loop for $30 and made the entire rig for $120

21 hours ago, markmark110 said:

if they are continuing scrapyard wars id love to join lol, made my own water-cooling loop for $30 and made the entire rig for $120

Thats... not how it works. Its not "Show your low-budget gaming rig" video series. If you haven't watched the previous ones, there's full playlist of them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv