Anandtech forums on trial: The corruption runs deep.

This was the latest in a long line of R9 290X Anandtech forums on trial: The corruption runs deep. threads in the graphics forum. It was mostly a normal thread then out of nowhere midway down page 4, 3DVagabond gets an infraction for this post -

UBlJQVW.jpg

I read this a few times because I kept thinking I must have missed something. But no, it’s quite clearly a harmless and factually correct comment about the AMD cards being superior for (bit)coin mining. The supposed “thread crapping” is due to going off-topic, which is actually a totally different thing from thread crapping – but is often used by the Anandtech mods when they need an excuse to give out an infraction over content they personally don’t agree with. In the very next post a rather unfortunate Nvidia-centric individual going by the name of “desprado” somehow fails to understand that 3DVagabond is talking about coin mining and so posts a massive thread crap (including profanity and insults) about how Nvidia reigns supreme “due to AMD lies and false hype” -

NMVtu5Y.png

THAT however, is thread crapping. You’ll notice that not even a warning was given (or if so this wasn’t made clear) – let alone an infraction – just a simple “profanity isn’t allowed” comment. By refusing to act on desprado’s attacking language and thread crap, Stahlhart gives out the clear message that this is acceptable.

Even though desprado had unfairly lambasted him for no real reason, 3DVagabond didn’t rise to it – instead he simply advised desprado to catch up with the topic as it had moved on to mining instead of gaming.  The edit by Stahlhart is due to desprado’s profanity being copied in the quote.

12127829786_bcde06a7c3_z.jpg

Backup Image

Seemingly undeterred that he might have got the wrong end of the stick, desprado then continued with his attack – labelling 3DVagabond a fanboy who posts silly and useless posts.

12127451333_a935b1c27d_z.jpg

Backup Image

As you again can clearly see, 3DVagabond still does not rise to the flames and points out this time that the post was about mining.

When the moderators refuse to act…

12322927475_d7bd6461d4_o.png

12326976405_81bf80602b_o.png

12327423964_a9886f6fa8_o.png

12762599664_d9626ebb24_o.png

One of the current moderators worked at Intel – on Haswell no less?

This was merely one example of dozens and dozens of power abuse by Anandtech mods documented in the article which I highly advise everyone to go check out.

http://techsoda.com/anandtech-forum-moderators-biased-corrupt/9/

I'm honestly very thankful that LTT didn't stoop to the new low that the Anandtech forums have become. And I'd like to welcome all the brothers and sisters that feel oppressed and censored to join the great community here at LTT. Although I do like to admit that the standards of the average forum member have gone a bit down as of late on the LTT forums with fanboys going getting louder and louder on the GPU & CPU sections are stifling the good work that's been done here. Great LTT members with down to earth common decency and sense are still the majority however.

I don't think this qualifies as news.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Not really news, but this is still why I only go here, then like once a month Overclock.net.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I frankly don't really care what people in a different forum do...

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Calm down folks this is definitely news I was just about to post the source link when the computer crashed on me.

I just realised this stuff was posted last December as well.....

Calm down folks this is definitely news I was just about to post the source link when the computer crashed on me.

It isn't news. It a couple stupid people being fan boys and the posts like I said are 4 months old.

I just realised this stuff was posted last December as well.....

That's not possible the article went up just a week ago on March 7.

This isn't news and fan boys are common.

very true

I frankly don't really care what people in a different forum do...

haha I suppose so...

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Siliconwars...... Is that you?

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

That's not possible the article went up just a week ago on March 7.

Look at the dates on the posts 12-08-2013 depending on their date format that could be from December or September.....

Ok the people in here are failing to realize the gravity of this.
This is NOT about faboys arguing over the internet. It's about admins of very influential tech sites like Anandtech that abuse their powers to intentionally censor AMD pro commentors.
Read the damned article before you post for goodness sake.

If this is news, then the fact that I ate cereals for breakfast is also news and perhaps I should consider making a topic about that?

What they meant is that this isn't important or relevant news that people on here care about. There are stupid fanboys on just about every forums, as long as they stay there I don't see how this affects the LTT community in any way. People are dramatzing it big time, as if the admins were committing war crimes.

Look at the dates on the posts 12-08-2013 depending on their date format that could be from December or September.....

August*

I know, nitpicking :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

That's ONE incident of a several dozen others in the article and it also happens to be the oldest.

PLEASE read the article, GOD.

If this is news, then the fact that I ate cereals for breakfast is also news and perhaps I should consider making a topic about that?

What they meant is that this isn't important or relevant news that people on here care about. There are stupid fanboys on just about every forums, as long as they stay there I don't see how this affects the LTT community in any way.

No it isn't about that, read the article please. It's about admins abusing their authorities.

I'm in agreement this sort of stuff isn't tech news, we've had this sort of stuff before in regards to website politics and I think I speak for the majority in that we just don't care (no malice intended). Fan boys of either side are all stupid, you tech choices should reflect budget, features you want and performance.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

That's ONE incident of a several dozen others in the article and it also happens to be the oldest.

PLEASE read the article, GOD.

No it isn't about that, read the article please. It's about admins abusing their authorities.

Its still people on a different forum arguing over which team is better, that's not news. You also showing 4-8 month old evidence.

oops.... Also 3k posts :D

*gives you a cookie*

:D

Wow SiliconWars is really butthurt.

This isn't news by the way. At least post it/move it to general...

It's just some bad moderator on another forum. This is not Anandtech being biased, this is not Anandtech trying to silence people. This is one of their mods abusing his power. Should I post a topic every time some mod on 4chan abuses their power? Should I post a news topic every time some mod on Macrumors is being fanboyish? Should I post a news topic here every time I get a warning that I think is unfair (have happened several times)? Of course not. If it was Anand himself that did it then I would understand posting it in news, but not if it's some random mod on their forum.

I did read the article. Abusing their authorities, I agree, but I still fail to see how this is relevant on here. What do you want us to do? Cry, go down in the streets and protest?

Yes, it pisses me off that some people are censuring comments simply because they don't agree with them. Still, there's nothing we can do about that here on LTT. It's annoying, but it's certainly not news. It's not uncommon, it's not something that hasn't been happening on countless websites for ages, and it's certainly not "new".

How can people see this and say they don't care ?
That's honestly absurd. This sort of censorship not only is illegal but directly violates our rights to free speech as human beings.
And in Anandtech of all places ? arguably the largest tech site in the industry.

This is definitely news and huge news at that an outright scandal I'd dare to call it.

How can people see this and say they don't care ?

That's honestly absurd. This sort of censorship not only is illegal but directly violates our rights to free speech as human beings.

And in Anandtech of all places ? arguably the largest tech site in the industry.

This is definitely news and huge news at that an outright scandal I'd dare to call it.

You really need to read some law books if you think this is illegal...