Corsair RMx or Fractal Desion ION+

wolfff
Go to solution Solved by Ankh Tech,
10 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

They're both good, though the RMx seems to edge out the Ion+ overall. Here's Aris' reviews of both units:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-ion-platinum-760w-power-supply-review

I don't really get what you mean here, to be perfectly honest.

What components will you be powering?

he means the extra 4 pin for the cpu, The rm750x is a tad bette, the ion is more efficient, if you oc get the rm750x, even if you plan to oc get the rm750x, to not buy two psu.

So before you comment, i know a lot of people have good experiences with corsair psu's and so do i!

But i do not want any fan boy opinions, i want honest opinions!

Corsair RM750x   or   Fractal Design ION+ 760w

gold certified     or         platinum certified

The fractal psu is newer, at the same price range in The Netherlands here for me and it is platinum instead of gold. Altho both psu's will do me good i still want the best of the best.

I know the fractal don't have a 4 pin cable included for extra power to the mobo for if i ever decide to overclock of if i render smt very heavy. I do not know if that will ever be a problem.

Both psu's are TIER S and the fractal is alittle higher in the tier S list.

wich one should i get?

They're both good, though the RMx seems to edge out the Ion+ overall. Here's Aris' reviews of both units:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-ion-platinum-760w-power-supply-review

11 minutes ago, wolfff said:

I know the fractal don't have a 4 pin cable included for extra power to the mobo for if i ever decide to overclock of if i render smt very heavy. I do not know if that will ever be a problem.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

he means the extra 4 pin for the cpu, The rm750x is a tad bette, the ion is more efficient, if you oc get the rm750x, even if you plan to oc get the rm750x, to not buy two psu.

4 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

he means the extra 4 pin for the cpu

...yeah, I know that, I don't get this part:

27 minutes ago, wolfff said:

extra power to the mobo for if i ever decide to overclock of if i render smt very heavy

That's why knowing what components OP will be using would very much be useful.

4 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

if you oc get the rm750x, even if you plan to oc get the rm750x, to not buy two psu.

giphy.gif

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

...yeah, I know that, I don't get this part:

That's why knowing what components OP will be using would very much be useful.

giphy.gif

1. I meant later on, like after a long time, here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler €81.94 @ Azerty
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste €10.08 @ Azerty
Motherboard MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard €229.90 @ CD-ROM-LAND
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory €141.85 @ Alternate
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive €114.99 @ Paradigit
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive €134.95 @ Megekko
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB NITRO+ Video Card  
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case €84.94 @ Alternate
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €109.95 @ Megekko
Case Fan ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack €40.32 @ Azerty
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total €948.92
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-06 13:53 CET+0100

so if he needs to oc, is the 4 pi necessary, if yes, rm750x, if no ion, I'd get the rmx in either case, but he wants to know, if you will oc, get the rm750x, otherwise both will work

46 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

1. I meant later on, like after a long time, here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler €81.94 @ Azerty
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste €10.08 @ Azerty
Motherboard MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard €229.90 @ CD-ROM-LAND
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory €141.85 @ Alternate
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive €114.99 @ Paradigit
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive €134.95 @ Megekko
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB NITRO+ Video Card  
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case €84.94 @ Alternate
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €109.95 @ Megekko
Case Fan ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack €40.32 @ Azerty
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total €948.92
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-06 13:53 CET+0100

so if he needs to oc, is the 4 pi necessary, if yes, rm750x, if no ion, I'd get the rmx in either case, but he wants to know, if you will oc, get the rm750x, otherwise both will work

does the ion have a 4 pin slot? like i could just buy a 4pin cable and still add it. that would mean the ion wins if i can add a third party 4pin connector. 

48 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

No, anything more than a single 8-pin EPS is redundant on ambient cooling as far as AM4 CPUs go.

1 minute ago, wolfff said:

does the ion have a 4 pin slot? like i could just buy a 4pin cable and still add it. that would mean the ion wins if i can add a third party 4pin connector. 

Adding extra connectors a PSU wasn't designed for is never a good idea, and I don't see how the Ion+ "wins" if it had the extra 4-pin EPS. Again, you haven't mentioned what components you will be using, for us to know whether the 4-pin is even remotely useful.

Just now, Mateyyy said:

No, anything more than a single 8-pin EPS is redundant on ambient cooling as far as AM4 CPUs go.

Adding extra connectors a PSU wasn't designed for is never a good idea, and I don't see how the Ion+ "wins" if it had the extra 4-pin EPS. Again, you haven't mentioned what components you will be using, for us to know whether the 4-pin is even remotely useful.

this link is what i will be getting, the other dude said the ion was more efficient so i thought if i would add a 4pin connector thirdparty it would win over the corsair. what psu should i get? pcpartpicker mentions that the psu rn don't unclide a 4pin connector (also the pcpartpicker has a lower watt version but i am getting the 760 watt version IF i am buying the ion)

11 minutes ago, wolfff said:

this link is what i will be getting, the other dude said the ion was more efficient so i thought if i would add a 4pin connector thirdparty it would win over the corsair. what psu should i get? pcpartpicker mentions that the psu rn don't unclide a 4pin connector (also the pcpartpicker has a lower watt version but i am getting the 760 watt version IF i am buying the ion)

the 760w version probably has a 4 pin, lemme check

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

It does, so then the Ion wins at efficiency, the corsair in quality and support

okay corsair it is than. thanks lots bro

8 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

No. No, no, no, no, and no. No CPU on AM4 pulls more power than can be supplied by a single 8 pin with decent cabling. The only thing that even comes close is a 3950X or 5950X on LN2, and even then it isn't actually necessary. At that point it's more a decision if the mobo has the pins to handle it.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

4 hours ago, wolfff said:

at the same price range

If they cost the same i'd pick RM-x personally, but nothing wrong with FD ION+ either.

4 hours ago, wolfff said:

Both psu's are TIER S and the fractal is alittle higher in the tier S list.

What tier list are you talking about ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

If they cost the same i'd pick RM-x personally, but nothing wrong with FD ION+ either.

What tier list are you talking about ?

the amd only motherboard tierlist v2 here on LTT that everyone uses

10 minutes ago, wolfff said:

the amd only motherboard tierlist v2 here on LTT that everyone uses

Eh, it's a motherboard tier list isn't it ? I'm asking because we do have PSU tier list here but it doesn't have tier S for a while already so i have no idea where are you looking at ...

3 hours ago, Juular said:

Eh, it's a motherboard tier list isn't it ? I'm asking because we do have PSU tier list here but it doesn't have tier S for a while already so i have no idea where are you looking at ...

oh woops, i accidentally stated the wrong list (i was also helping someone w mobos)

online you can find the psu tier list

9 hours ago, wolfff said:

you can find the psu tier list

I would go as far as saying that any PSU tier lists you'll see there are outdated ripoffs of our tier list, posted here and at THW forum, hopefully also on standalone site soon.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/