Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD Rumored to be Working on ARM-Based M1 Competitor

Summary

According to hardware leaker Mauri QHD, AMD is working on two versions of an ARM-based chip that will compete with the Apple M1. The first version has integrated RAM, while the other does not. According to Mauri QHD, the prototype is "almost ready." AMD CEO Lisa Su will present at CES next month, it is unclear if these chips will be officially mentioned then.

Quotes

Rumor mill: Apple has shaken up the processor industry with the arrival of its M1-powered Macs, offering excellent performance despite being a low-power chip. But could another Arm-based competitor be on its way? According to a new rumor, rival AMD is almost ready to lift the lid on its version of Apple's SoC.

The rumor comes from hardware leaker Mauri QHD (via NotebookCheck). They write that AMD is working on two versions of the chip—one with integrated RAM and one without. The prototype is "almost ready," apparently.

My thoughts

I don't find this surprising given AMD's past history of exploring ARM-based processors (remember K12). Let's see if AMD can bring their recent success in x86 and carry it over to ARM.

Sources

https://twitter.com/MauriQHD/status/1332601734565416962

https://www.techspot.com/news/87851-amd-rumored-working-arm-based-apple-m1-rival.html

Hoping AMD isnt trying to do too much at once with this coming after xilinx acquisition. They need to push Radeon hard and keep executing on time with Ryzen.

Coming Soon: MOAR COARS: 5GHz Confirmed Black Edition™ The Build

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

Hoping AMD isnt trying to do too much at once with this coming after xilinx acquisition. They need to push Radeon hard and keep executing on time with Ryzen.

AMD should push both the Ryzen Processors and Radeon GPUs to the very Edge.

I kinda get that this is a 'hot topic' since the Hot Topic of the tech world (Apple) is doing just this, but...

What would the point be? I could see this being an offering for low powered mobile stuff, like laptops, but... Other than Linux, there isn't really an OS that would be capable of taking advantage of it, since (according to Linus) Microsoft doesn't seem to want to develop/license/sell an ARM based version of Windows...

Or would this be the impetuous to get Microsoft to change this policy?

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in? Yes? Then have you tried downloading more RAM?

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

I kinda get that this is a 'hot topic' since the Hot Topic of the tech world (Apple) is doing just this, but...

What would the point be? I could see this being an offering for low powered mobile stuff, like laptops, but... Other than Linux, there isn't really an OS that would be capable of taking advantage of it, since (according to Linus) Microsoft doesn't seem to want to develop/license/sell an ARM based version of Windows...

Or would this be the impetuous to get Microsoft to change this policy?

According to the leaker who is the source of the rumor, this chip may possibly be exclusive to Microsoft Surface. Microsoft has developed Windows 10 on ARM, they've just so far refused to license it to Apple to use on bootcamp for M1 Macs.

Just now, Random_Person1234 said:

According to the leaker who is the source of the rumor, this chip may possibly be exclusive to Microsoft Surface. Microsoft has developed Windows 10 on ARM, they've just so far refused to license it to Apple to use on bootcamp for M1 Macs.

Ah, gotcha.

Kinda interesting to see Microsoft and AMD working together. But, it's a market, and Intel is... Not really being much of an Industry Leader right now, so I guess it makes sense.

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in? Yes? Then have you tried downloading more RAM?

I remember seeing rumors about AMD will have a smartphone SOC called "Ryzen C7"
i wonder where it went now

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 4C8T 
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth stock cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
RAM: Adata XPG D50 DDR4 3200 CL16 (XMP)
GPU: Asus Dual RX 580 O4G
Storages: 1x500GB Kingston A2000 M.2 NVME(boot drive) 1X1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage) 1X1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM 3.5 inch Hard drive(game and mass storage)
Case: Montech Air 900 Mesh Mid-Tower ATX case
PSU: Delta GPS-500EB 80+ Bronze Non-Modular power supply
Case Fans: 4X Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 RGB fan, 2x 140mm Cooler Master A14-025

Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310

I dont think calling it an "M1 competitor" is really a thing.. the M1 is in it's own loop, it wont be seen outside of Apple, therefore can't have a genuine competitor.

more accurate: "AMD is working on an ARM SoC"

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Don't dilute <good thing> by always trying to focus on, and drag conversation back to, <bad thing>.

Remember rumors about AMD working on ARM chips? That's been going on years back, basically with first leaks of very first Ryzen.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

35 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I dont think calling it an "M1 competitor" is really a thing.. the M1 is in it's own loop, it wont be seen outside of Apple, therefore can't have a genuine competitor.

Can and can’t.  It depends on the level you’re looking at. Apple, microsoft, and whatever still compete on the “papers pushed per hour” level, assuming one is trying to push papers.  Computers are for making workers (or gamers) go faster.  It’s a pretty brutal algorithm.   Computers get bought if they push productivity up.  The one that pushes productivity up the most is the one that is going to get bought.  This is how Apple can win with a machine that is of equivelant productivity.  Same production but training cost is lower.  Microsoft has been arranging lower training costs and Apple has been losing ground.

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

They did work on ARM based IP before too.

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

Microsoft need something to answer M1 especially in the laptop space.

This is the right move. Qualcomm have failed them.

AMD is not working on an ARM, they had that already (K12 - at least the design).

What it needs right now is a super SOC like M1, with integrated memory, super low latency and most importantly super low power consumption.

If MS is not competitive with this, no one will buy windows laptop.

I'm a die hard windows supporter, but if i were to buy laptop, my next laptop will be apple m1.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450