AMD Rumored to be Working on ARM-Based M1 Competitor

Random_Person1234

Summary

According to hardware leaker Mauri QHD, AMD is working on two versions of an ARM-based chip that will compete with the Apple M1. The first version has integrated RAM, while the other does not. According to Mauri QHD, the prototype is "almost ready." AMD CEO Lisa Su will present at CES next month, it is unclear if these chips will be officially mentioned then.

Quotes

Rumor mill: Apple has shaken up the processor industry with the arrival of its M1-powered Macs, offering excellent performance despite being a low-power chip. But could another Arm-based competitor be on its way? According to a new rumor, rival AMD is almost ready to lift the lid on its version of Apple's SoC.

The rumor comes from hardware leaker Mauri QHD (via NotebookCheck). They write that AMD is working on two versions of the chip—one with integrated RAM and one without. The prototype is "almost ready," apparently.

My thoughts

I don't find this surprising given AMD's past history of exploring ARM-based processors (remember K12). Let's see if AMD can bring their recent success in x86 and carry it over to ARM.

Sources

https://twitter.com/MauriQHD/status/1332601734565416962

https://www.techspot.com/news/87851-amd-rumored-working-arm-based-apple-m1-rival.html

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Hoping AMD isnt trying to do too much at once with this coming after xilinx acquisition. They need to push Radeon hard and keep executing on time with Ryzen.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

Hoping AMD isnt trying to do too much at once with this coming after xilinx acquisition. They need to push Radeon hard and keep executing on time with Ryzen.

AMD should push both the Ryzen Processors and Radeon GPUs to the very Edge.

I kinda get that this is a 'hot topic' since the Hot Topic of the tech world (Apple) is doing just this, but...

What would the point be? I could see this being an offering for low powered mobile stuff, like laptops, but... Other than Linux, there isn't really an OS that would be capable of taking advantage of it, since (according to Linus) Microsoft doesn't seem to want to develop/license/sell an ARM based version of Windows...

Or would this be the impetuous to get Microsoft to change this policy?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

I kinda get that this is a 'hot topic' since the Hot Topic of the tech world (Apple) is doing just this, but...

What would the point be? I could see this being an offering for low powered mobile stuff, like laptops, but... Other than Linux, there isn't really an OS that would be capable of taking advantage of it, since (according to Linus) Microsoft doesn't seem to want to develop/license/sell an ARM based version of Windows...

Or would this be the impetuous to get Microsoft to change this policy?

According to the leaker who is the source of the rumor, this chip may possibly be exclusive to Microsoft Surface. Microsoft has developed Windows 10 on ARM, they've just so far refused to license it to Apple to use on bootcamp for M1 Macs.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Just now, Random_Person1234 said:

According to the leaker who is the source of the rumor, this chip may possibly be exclusive to Microsoft Surface. Microsoft has developed Windows 10 on ARM, they've just so far refused to license it to Apple to use on bootcamp for M1 Macs.

Ah, gotcha.

Kinda interesting to see Microsoft and AMD working together. But, it's a market, and Intel is... Not really being much of an Industry Leader right now, so I guess it makes sense.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I remember seeing rumors about AMD will have a smartphone SOC called "Ryzen C7"
i wonder where it went now

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

22 minutes ago, Morris_lee_9116 said:

I remember seeing rumors about AMD will have a smartphone SOC called "Ryzen C7"
i wonder where it went now

According to VideoCardz, the rumor was fake:

I dont think calling it an "M1 competitor" is really a thing.. the M1 is in it's own loop, it wont be seen outside of Apple, therefore can't have a genuine competitor.

more accurate: "AMD is working on an ARM SoC"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Remember rumors about AMD working on ARM chips? That's been going on years back, basically with first leaks of very first Ryzen.

35 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I dont think calling it an "M1 competitor" is really a thing.. the M1 is in it's own loop, it wont be seen outside of Apple, therefore can't have a genuine competitor.

Can and can’t.  It depends on the level you’re looking at. Apple, microsoft, and whatever still compete on the “papers pushed per hour” level, assuming one is trying to push papers.  Computers are for making workers (or gamers) go faster.  It’s a pretty brutal algorithm.   Computers get bought if they push productivity up.  The one that pushes productivity up the most is the one that is going to get bought.  This is how Apple can win with a machine that is of equivelant productivity.  Same production but training cost is lower.  Microsoft has been arranging lower training costs and Apple has been losing ground.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

They did work on ARM based IP before too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

Microsoft need something to answer M1 especially in the laptop space.

This is the right move. Qualcomm have failed them.

AMD is not working on an ARM, they had that already (K12 - at least the design).

What it needs right now is a super SOC like M1, with integrated memory, super low latency and most importantly super low power consumption.

If MS is not competitive with this, no one will buy windows laptop.

I'm a die hard windows supporter, but if i were to buy laptop, my next laptop will be apple m1.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w