"AMD Teasing Dual GPU Graphics Card" on pcper.com

Tam3n

We might see dual R9 290X cards from AMD... I wonder how such a thing is not going to melt down, if those cards even happen.

First Hawaii, now "Vesuvius".

source: http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Teasing-Dual-GPU-Graphics-Card-Punks-Me-Same-Time

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Miners are gonna love this.

i wonder how such a thing is not going to melt down, if those cards even happen.

it will be ok with a good cooling solution. When the stock R9-290x came out everyone was talking about how hot and loud it is. The aftermarket cooling solutions have done so well that the heat is no longer a concern at all, just shows how bad AMD's stock solution was.

Will definitely get one when I get that industrial refrigeration unit installed in my case. :/

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

AMD knows what they're doing. If it doesn't melt, it's obviously a 6 slot card...

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

Time for a new case

snip

And then comes the condensation.

Miners are gonna love this.

Why? They already are maxing out the amount of GPU's in their systems with the single configs, and space is not issue for them. I can see any miner wanting a down-clocked version of what they already have, just for less space. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Its going to melt... Unless it comes with an AIO water cooler on it which could be pretty sick >.<

this isnt new >_> I heard about it about earlier this month
having said that here is my proof
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/today-in-tech-dual-r9-290x-ares-iii-tegra-k1-benchmarks-and-bitcoin-founder-unveiled-idnum188/

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

And then comes the condensation.

Why? They already are maxing out the amount of GPU's in their systems with the single configs, and space is not issue for them. I can see any miner wanting a down-clocked version of what they already have, just for less space. 

If they use pci-e risers, they can basically double the amount of cores mining, as opposed to just filling their rigs with 290's (theoretically?) considering that space is NOT an issue if the use of risers are employed.

I'm not sure if the vram memory bus issue also affects mining like it does gaming.

well somehow that codename doesnt make me interested.... more like scared.

4 slots by 14 inches with 3 blowers on it :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Turn a PC into a toaster

Lol you mean a mini oven? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

If they use pci-e risers, they can basically double the amount of cores mining, as opposed to just filling their rigs with 290's (theoretically?) considering that space is NOT an issue if the use of risers are employed.

I'm not sure if the vram memory bus issue also affects mining like it does gaming.

Isn't there a maximum for the amount of GPU's any computer can support? (4 i think). Also, i am not exactly an expert on mining, but i don't think that Vram is an issue in the first place when mining, capacity or bandwidth size wise. The only thing that is needed is a beefy GPU core.

I was already thinking that risers would be used in mining configs, just that more than 4 cores could not be used, and then the difference would be that the 4 cores would have less frequency. If the miner decided to use the dual GPU version. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Isn't there a maximum for the amount of GPU's any computer can support? (4 i think). Also, i am not exactly an expert on mining, but i don't think that Vram is an issue in the first place when mining, capacity or bandwidth size wise. The only thing that is needed is a beefy GPU core.

I was already thinking that risers would be used in mining configs, just that more than 4 cores could not be used, and then the difference would be that the 4 cores would have less frequency. If the miner decided to use the dual GPU version. 

Well, I have seen 8x 7970 on a WS build by using 4 devil13's, so who knows?

8x 7970 - here.

edit: I never really explained how this was relevant.

Well, the 4x devil13's works great for openCL accel. so I dont see why this won't mine correctly (unless it lacks software support on the mining programs.)

23lh7bt.jpg

hmo1.jpg

Still,not enough.

t6ecfc.jpg

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.