Micro-USB Isn't Bad

JLCitadel

A lot of people are under the misconception that it's a poor connector. As a whole a lot of them are MANUFACTURED poorly, but the actual way the product is intended to be is not a bad design. The reason there's a lot more failures is because there's a lot more of them being produced. I've never had a phone who hasn't used Micro-usb and half the chargers you get for them are absolute balls, but there are some that are constructed extremely well and don't break. The product is made to break by companies so they get more money, just like the majority of stuff now isn't made to last like it used to be, but there are still quality ones which stand out. I've got a crappy one but my father has an absolutely amazing one he's used for as long as i can remember. (I use it whenever he doesn't too) It's just got a more solid build quality protecting the connector, which is where the other companies go cheap and make it so it breaks. At least this is my side of it, if you find a good one it lasts.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never had one break on me, but I just hate the actual connector. It's awkward to plug in without looking at it and feels kind of flimsy to me. I much prefer mini USB

I've never had one break on me, but I just hate the actual connector. It's awkward to plug in without looking at it and feels kind of flimsy to me. I much prefer mini USB

Agreed, mini is a much better connector

microusb-vs-miniusb.jpg

even looking at them you can tell that micro is much easier to bend.

also micro usb sockets suck.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Micro-USB suck.

- Ive had them braking.

-Slow file transferring

-Wierd to connect.

- My parents hate them too :D

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

Agreed, mini is a much better connector

microusb-vs-miniusb.jpg

even looking at them you can tell that micro is much easier to bend.

also micro usb sockets suck.

Never had a problem with a socket or known someone who has. The casing around the charger  is sealed very poorly compared to the mini, which is the difference in the charger my father used. 

& I've transferred 1000 Pictures, 100 or so Music Files, and 100 Videos, and it took about 1 minute using micro usb. Maybe the device your using or the one connecting to it sucks.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My only complaint is that it doesn't transfer files fast enough but that's just me. 

It's not the cable, it's the storage you transfer from.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Ill take a usb A to usb A instead of mini or micro B

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Never had a problem with a socket or known someone who has. The casing around the charger is sealed very poorly compared to the mini, which is the difference in the charger my father used.

& I've transferred 1000 Pictures, 100 or so Music Files, and 100 Videos, and it took about 1 minute using micro usb. Maybe the device your using or the one connecting to it sucks.

I unplugged the micro USB from my defy xt and it pulled out the socket. I had to send my phone back for a new phone.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

one of my favourite connectors is the new lightning connector on the ipad and iphone, its really strong, has a really positive click, it clips in really tightly (hang your phone off the cable without it coming out) but really easy to connect and disconnect and reversible

i wish usb was like that, plugging in my iphone to charge at night has a really confident feel, plugging in my nvidia shield to charge feels so spongey, the cable falls out and it just doesnt "click" like lightning does

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's not the cable, it's the storage you transfer from.

I get 15 - 20mb/s and thats too slow for my standards lol. 

I just have high standards, I want my files moved fast. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Never had a problem with a socket or known someone who has. The casing around the charger  is sealed very poorly compared to the mini, which is the difference in the charger my father used. 

That must've had an extremely small overall file size, Even an SSD wouldn't be able to transfer that much data in under a minute. 100 videos could be up to 100Gb and at 556Mb/s you aren't going to do that in any sort of record time.

I've had two micro USB cables break on me and the micro USB jack on my nexus 7 which I bought in November 2013 already has a wiggly jack :-(

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

I never had a micro USB connector break on me and never had a poblem plugging it in. Given the chance I would still prefer a Lightning-type reversible and strong connector but I'm not too bothered by it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

the cable itself is not the problem. Its the socket on the phone itself. I have never had a cable break but i have had a micro usb socket break on me multiple times.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I had a micro usb socket break in a phone. I think almost all of the micro usb car chargers suck, almost everyone of them has broken in 6 months on me. My kids kindles have had to be rma several times for the micro usb ports breaking. I wouldn't mine a universal standard for mobile devices but please it be something a little beefier then the micro usb. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

my mom broke 5 micro usb cables in the last year so it make me hate it because i have to buy one every few months.

I unplugged the micro USB from my defy xt and it pulled out the socket. I had to send my phone back for a new phone.

I think that just proves his point. It's the manufacturing quality. Not the connector itself. Mine has never done that, and that definitely sounds like the phone's problem.

The µUSB is at least somewhat small, but where it get's really crazy is here:

µUSB 3.0!

This. That is crazy. I don't want that connector. Kill it with fire.

That must've had an extremely small overall file size, Even an SSD wouldn't be able to transfer that much data in under a minute. 100 videos could be up to 100Gb and at 556Mb/s you aren't going to do that in any sort of record time.

A single 1.5 hour 720p movie, compressed, is around 1.2GB (depends on the format/codec). I'm assuming these weren't movies.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Mini usb is superior :)

A single 1.5 hour 720p movie, compressed, is around 1.2GB (depends on the format/codec). I'm assuming these weren't movies.

I feel like the speed is still dictated by the source rather than the cable, an SSD would have a fast transfer yes, but if he was transferring to an HDD or another phone the speeds would be slower. I think he's a little confused on how the cable works, sure a USB 3.0 cable can transfer much fast than 2.0 but micro-usb is the same thing as a full usb cable.

I have NEVER had a problem with mini or micro USB.

In fact the only two connectors I have ever had break are USB A and AC.