Micro-USB Isn't Bad

JLCitadel

I completely disagree.

Micro-USB is too small, the metal used is too delicate and the connector isn't reversible or magnetic which I feel any good data and charging connector on portable devices should be at least one of. If you put any pressure on a Micro-USB connection you will assuredly loosen the connection and potentially damage the connector or the port because it has far too much give.

Micro-USB is terrible and should die. It's a bad connection type and we desperately need something better.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I dont care about $4 cable. I care about the jack in my phone. Phone jacks are notorious for being flaky. They don't outright fail, but there's no way they could be considered functional either.

Also, because you don't personally have issues, doesn't mean its a good standard.

That kinda the point of micro USB they prioritized preserving the jack not the cable. the cable is basically meant to fail instead of the jack.

Well with how long ive had electronic devices and the number of different connect I would have to say on a portable device Micro B is better that its predecessor Mini B.

I completely disagree.

Micro-USB is too small, the metal used is too delicate and the connector isn't reversible or magnetic which I feel any good data and charging connector on portable devices should be at least one of. If you put any pressure on a Micro-USB connection you will assuredly loosen the connection and potentially damage the connector or the port because it has far too much give.

Micro-USB is terrible and should die. It's a bad connection type and we desperately need something better.

With the stuff your all asking for you should also consider cost, how much per port per device is it to implement something like that. Also is it a standard that is already used or one that other companies are on board with as well? Yes youll damathe connector on the cable and itll like bend, so go get a new cable. I think some of these issues people have with micro usb might before be from using slightly bent or broken cables.

Something better is being worked on as im stated before but its going to be a completely new standard so it going to take time.

With the stuff your all asking for you should also consider cost, how much per port per device is it to implement something like that. Also is it a standard that is already used or one that other companies are on board with as well? Yes youll damathe connector on the cable and itll like bend, so go get a new cable. I think some of these issues people have with micro usb might before be from using slightly bent or broken cables.

Something better is being worked on as im stated before but its going to be a completely new standard so it going to take time.

Tough. You get what you pay for. And besides, Apple did it. They've done it twice, in-fact. I absolutely will not accept the argument of 'cost' here when the profit margins on smartphones and tablet devices are so outrageously high.

The cable connector is only half of the issue, the port itself is the other half. I have a multitude of different cables at my disposal, some noticeably better made than others, but the underlying limitations of the connector are still present amongst all of them - it's too small, too flimsy, too easily damaged. If your cable is pulled in any direction other than the precise direction it's intended to be removed in, you can damage your port.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Tough. You get what you pay for. And besides, Apple did it. They've done it twice, in-fact. I absolutely will not accept the argument of 'cost' here when the profit margins on smartphones and tablet devices are so outrageously high.

The cable connector is only half of the issue, the port itself is the other half. I have a multitude of different cables at my disposal, some noticeably better made than others, but the underlying limitations of the connector are still present amongst all of them - it's too small, too flimsy, too easily damaged. If your cable is pulled in any direction other than the precise direction it's intended to be removed in, you can damage your port.

and they have premium priced products and a cult like following so they could do that. I really would hate to see everyone go back to all different connector like it was before mini b.

Cost is definitely the reasoning behind it being so crap, I think they knew that when designing it, but most of the devices that implement it are pretty expensive.

I'm not a fan of mini either I have to use it when tethering my camera and it's always in the back of my mind, just like my mobile every time I put it on charge... It's a major headache

In fact I'm not really a fan of USB at all, the only one I would consider durable is B...

A poll on this topic would be nice, I'm pretty sure most people would pay the extra few quid to have a more durable standard. Premium devices shouldn't have to pay the price for budget devices.

Cost is definitely the reasoning behind it being so crap, I think they knew that when designing it, but most of the devices that implement it are pretty expensive.

I'm not a fan of mini either I have to use it when tethering my camera and it's always in the back of my mind, just like my mobile every time I put it on charge... It's a major headache

In fact I'm not really a fan of USB at all, the only one I would consider durable is B...

A poll on this topic would be nice, I'm pretty sure most people would pay the extra few quid to have a more durable standard. Premium devices shouldn't have to pay the price for budget devices.

I have a right angle connector for tethering my camera

On devices that have the available spaces I agree I much prefer to see USB A or USB B.

Thats why USB 3.0 C is being worked on.

That's also kind of the point.  My GS3 was a $700 phone.  Having a somewhat flaky power jack after using it for 6 months is a fat load of crap.  I don't care what the standard is or says.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I have a right angle connector for tethering my camera

On devices that have the available spaces I agree I much prefer to see USB A or USB B.

Thats why USB 3.0 C is being worked on.

I have a right angle connector too, still doesn't fill me with any more confidence, I would rather have the Firewire connections you get on some of the medium format digital backs. 

C looks great, reversible connectors should have been a must for a symmetrical connector.

Micro and Mini are my real issue, you can pretty much snap or badly misshape it with the same amount of pressure as it takes to snap off a Kit-Kat finger.

I just don't like it and refuse to believe that there isn't a better solution even factoring in the cost.

Agreed

microusb-vs-miniusb.jpg

Mini-Usb Master race!

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Mini-Usb Master race!

disagree mini is worse receptacle wise for things that get plugged and unplugged often.

I don't love it, but I got an Amazon basics cable and it's very solid. I have to admit Apple's lightning connector is much better and, whether you like it or not, is under great quality control. Though I can't justify a $30 cable lol.