Micro-USB Isn't Bad

JLCitadel

My old Desire HD's micro USB would sometimes struggle to establish contact when I wanted to charge. It was 2 and a half years old. My Nokia N95 didn't, and it was just as old. (mini USB) But the hate on micro is overblown IMO.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

i think that micro USB is just a wired connecter to use, allways feels like it's not going in right. mini usb is much more satisfiying.

-\\>side note, i once put the micro side of my phone charger into my USB port because it was dark and i couldn't see, and it made my power supply flip out, cut the power, and not boot, i actually had to jump the power supply just to get it to get going, after that, it's fine again, but makes a really bad ticking/electric noise whenever it starts up cold now...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

my blackberry curve 9350 is great with micro usb, and so is the cable that came with it.  Others I have used however, the OP is entirely correct - cheap chinese garbage that you should not attribute to the standard.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

Not only does Micro USB use a flimsy connector, it's also a PITA to solder properly...And I can say that from experience.

Even the casing for Micro USB is smaller, making it hard to hide heat shrink :(

Fw03UXk.jpg

I've actually had more mini-usb cables and connectors break as they are often what come with cheaper products. Never had a micro-usb device or cable break...

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

I don't think Mirco USB is bad, the supposed change coming up from the standard fitting to the new USB 3.0 fitting will annoy people. like what lightning did. havn't kept up to date on news on that, is it still happening or not?

If they could have a dragonballz like fusion between Micro USB and lightning (all the good things from each) it would be amazing, but that ain't going to happen.
Having a connected that can plug in either way sounds silly, but is actually really handy. remember everyone on this forum has above average knowledge of tech., but in the real world we are the minority. Most people are not. Simple is best.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Agreed, mini is a much better connector

microusb-vs-miniusb.jpg

even looking at them you can tell that micro is much easier to bend.

also micro usb sockets suck.

but mini usb is thicker so thicker devices micro is thiner so thiner devices it is how you look at it. i preffer thinner devices

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

If they could have a dragonballz like fusion between Micro USB and lightning (all the good things from each) it would be amazing, but that ain't going to happen.

What pros does the Micro USB have that lightning lacks in? (A serious question.  I have no bias towards either, just wanted to see your thoughts.)

What pros does the Micro USB have that lightning lacks in? (A serious question.  I have no bias towards either, just wanted to see your thoughts.)

reversible. and the lightning is basically a solid chunk of metal(it could be hollow inside, IDK) while USB is hollow on the inside. It just seems more can go wrong with it. not that it does at least with me.

lightning-microusb-608x138.png simple is best.

there are probably more things, but ask an apple fanboy, I am sure they could tell you.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

reversible. and the lightning is basically a solid chunk of metal(it could be hollow inside, IDK) while USB is hollow on the inside. It just seems more can go wrong with it. not that it does at least with me.

lightning-microusb-608x138.png simple is best.

there are probably more things, but ask an apple fanboy, I am sure they could tell you.

I think you misread my question ;)  I asked in what area is Micro USB _BETTER_ than lightning. (Not the other way around ;D)

I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but I tripped on my micro usb once, when it was connected to my phone. Now it is forever wobbly. It's great I guess because of slimmer devices, and I've grown to deal with having it in a good angle so that it still works. But how are some of you guys so lucky that none of your micro usb sockets or connection ever became an annoyance? But anyways, I understand why they exist...just wish is was better.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Don't use micro usb on my main devices for transferring files as I am too lazy to plug in a cable and use Wifi File Transfer instead. :D But as long as you are not trying to force a micro usb cable into the port, it will not break imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I think you misread my question ;)  I asked in what area is Micro USB _BETTER_ than lightning. (Not the other way around ;D)

ohh ahhaha. not the first time thats happened,probably not the last.

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I think mini was worse. Those broke for me, I have however only had one micro wear out.

Ill take a usb A to usb A instead of mini or micro B

That usually doesnt work for devices that have micro, way too big. But yea I prefer usb a or b if available.

I get 15 - 20mb/s and thats too slow for my standards lol.

I just have high standards, I want my files moved fast.

Thats cause its still usb 2.0, only the note 3 to my knowledge has 3.0. Also mico usb 3.0 is multiple times worse than micro 2.0.

I've had two micro USB cables break on me and the micro USB jack on my nexus 7 which I bought in November 2013 already has a wiggly jack :-(

The cables are designed to break instead of the jack.

The cables are designed to break instead of the jack.

Turns out it wasn't the jack on my nexus 7 itself it was the cables connector.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Thats cause its still usb 2.0, only the note 3 to my knowledge has 3.0. Also mico usb 3.0 is multiple times worse than micro 2.0.

I'm actually having a pretty good time with the Micro USB 3, the connectors are pretty sturdy and the speed is great - the backwards compatibility has also come in handy a few times,

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

I'm actually having a pretty good time with the Micro USB 3, the connectors are pretty sturdy and the speed is great - the backwards compatibility has also come in handy a few times,

I dislike micro usb 3.0 since it just as thin but wider and the conmector is bigged it gets floppy in the up and down directions far easier.

I'd prefer the lightning connector to be honest

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I'd prefer the lightning connector to be honest

Not happening since well thats apples and im sure everyone doesnt want to pay apple to use it ion their devices. USB C should be similar though ehich is being worked on for USB 3.0 right now the draft for it should be out soon.

Not happening since well thats apples and im sure everyone doesnt want to pay apple to use it ion their devices. USB C should be similar though ehich is being worked on for USB 3.0 right now the draft for it should be out soon.

I know its not happening I'm just saying I'd prefer it. 

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I dont care about $4 cable. I care about the jack in my phone. Phone jacks are notorious for being flaky. They don't outright fail, but there's no way they could be considered functional either.

Also, because you don't personally have issues, doesn't mean its a good standard.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers