Ryzen 5000 WHEA errors

msk73

I was lucky to get 5950x on the launch day and put in into my MSI B550 Tomahawk. The CPU is as good as described by reviewers but I think the Zen2 story returned.

I get a lot of WHEA (Bus/Interconnection) errors. No problem with stability but errors perstist with new BIOS, fresh Windows and latest drivers. There was no such problem  on the same system with my previous CPU (3900x).

I asked my friends and it is not only my problem. Same story on MSI X570 with 5900x and Asus TUF X570 with 5950X. At the moment only Aorus boards (both X570and B550) are free from WHEAs, as reported by users I know.

How do you think? Will be BIOSes or AGESA updated soon?

There's 2 bios Agesa code that support the cpu. Try both. 1.0.8.0 and 1.1.0.0. 

1.0.8.0 has problem with RAM settings, does not post with so far working profiles

1.1.0.0 - WHEA erros I described above

The errors can be observed by HW Info sensor reports. 

There are many of them during OCCT test (reported directly by OCCT) and other high loaded activity. But there are also present during normal usage.

5 minutes ago, msk73 said:

1.0.8.0 has problem with RAM settings, does not post with so far working profiles

1.1.0.0 - WHEA erros I described above

The errors can be observed by HW Info sensor reports. 

There are many of them during OCCT test.

No blue screens? 

Maybe a small v-core positive offset could help. (generally from overclocking *not saying you are OC'ed*, it can be the core or IMC that causes this behavior.) 

So in the past a v-core bump or a different set of memory would help.

I'd choose the 1.0.8.0 and make a new memory OC profile that works with this revision over the Whea errors. But that would be my preference. 

No blue screens. 

I swapped memory sticks and checked Ripjaws 3600 BDies on many speeds - from 3200 to 4000. No change to WHEAs.

I run stock CPU settings, but checked PBO - no change to WHEAs.

And as I said - I asked 5 users I know. MSI, Asus have WHEAs, Gigabyte does not. Not numerous but it is a sample. 

I will try offset you said. 

5 minutes ago, msk73 said:

No blue screens. 

I swapped memory sticks and checked Ripjaws 3600 BDies on many speeds - from 3200 to 4000. No change to WHEAs.

I run stock CPU settings, but checked PBO - no change to WHEAs.

And as I said - I asked 5 users I know. MSI, Asus have WHEAs, Gigabyte does not. Not numerous but it is a sample. 

I will try offset you said. 

I did read this issue, but not only on 5000 cpus but also 3000 series chips too. 

Some cases, the CPU RMA did the trick. 

But of course a new bios release to correct the issue is very likely. Just gotta sit back and wait.

(this is why I don't buy brand new tech at release time)

If there are no BSODs but only bus communication errors, I can live with it. I expect that only the new BIOS can solve it (or hide reporting 🙂 ). I just wanted to share my findings. 

Fwiw I get thousands of WHEA errors when booting up my pc for about 2 minutes then they stop... 

Don't really have an issue with that (no BSODs or similar) but it sure is weird. 

Looking up it seems to be indeed a Ryzen problem, however the WHEAS point to "NVIDIA device" so I always thought it's my GPU (GTX 1060) which I recently switched for a 1070, didn't even look yet for these WHEA errors again, I don't care, I don't wanna know, computer works fine, blazingly fast with the new GPU! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Can confirm, running 5800X. At 1800 FCLK (3600 RAM) I got 15 errors after a day or working, all 15 of them are Bus/Interconnect.

At 1900-2000 FCLK I get hundreds of these errors after several minutes of working.

Asus X570-I Strix. AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C.

Not sure if BIOS updates will fix this.

How do you see whea errors? I see nothing in event viewer. 

I'm running my RAM at 4000mhz 1:1 with infinity fabric at 2000mhz with timings of 16-17-15-15-34 1t. Tested with memtest86. 

5900x

B550 Gaming Carbon 

1 hour ago, mrdoubtfull said:

How do you see whea errors? I see nothing in event viewer. 

I'm running my RAM at 4000mhz 1:1 with infinity fabric at 2000mhz with timings of 16-17-15-15-34 1t. Tested with memtest86. 

5900x

B550 Gaming Carbon 

Try OCCT. That one will show the whea errors.

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Try OCCT. That one will show the whea errors.

I found them haha. So I do have them. I lowered to 3200mhz 14-14-14-34 and I'm not seeing them now, but I see a bunch of other errors lol, not gonna dwell on it, though. Seems stable. 

46 minutes ago, mrdoubtfull said:

I found them haha. So I do have them. I lowered to 3200mhz 14-14-14-34 and I'm not seeing them now, but I see a bunch of other errors lol, not gonna dwell on it, though. Seems stable. 

What's the memory part number? (Just curious)

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

What's the memory part number? (Just curious)

BL2K16G36C16U4BL. I did up the timings a little as 14-14-14-34 cause a crash (I think). 

Can come in dual or single rank, appearantly. 

1 hour ago, mrdoubtfull said:

BL2K16G36C16U4BL. I did up the timings a little as 14-14-14-34 cause a crash (I think). 

Can come in dual or single rank, appearantly. 

I think the single ranks tweak a little better.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I think the single ranks tweak a little better.

Mine are dual rank and seem to overclock pretty well. Also, gamers nexus did a video on 2x8gb vs 4x8gb and concluded that 4x8gb can offer better performance. 4x8gb single rank is pretty similar to 2x16gb dual rank. 

At least that's my limited understanding so far. 

21 minutes ago, mrdoubtfull said:

Mine are dual rank and seem to overclock pretty well. Also, gamers nexus did a video on 2x8gb vs 4x8gb and concluded that 4x8gb can offer better performance. 4x8gb single rank is pretty similar to 2x16gb dual rank. 

At least that's my limited understanding so far. 

It really depends where you look for performance. For my purposes, 2x8 CL14 at 4000mhz A2 PCB seems to bench pretty well. But I have a different set of memory than you and purpose my high speed kits for 3d benchmarking. 

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)

BIOS Version 2402 Beta Version AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C

tons of WHEA errors ..

since rolled back to BIOS Version 2311 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 PatchB

no errors (so far)

• 3 weeks later...

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master rev1.2 
BIOS version F31j (AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.1.0.0 C + re-size bar/SAM)
Ryzen 5950X

System keeps crashing randomly (no bluescreen), so far only during light load like a single action such as opening an application, new tab, etc.. No crash during benchmarks/full load.

I ran OCCT for 5 mins, no issue. Except it crashed 2 secs after I stopped the test >.>

See Event Viewer WHEA error attached.

PBO on, XMP on. Same issue with PBO advanced, will try PBO off tomorrow.

Edit: I think I can reproduce it by opening Cinebench within seconds after booting.

whea.PNG

Built a completely new system with Asus Rog Dark hero and Ryzen 5900x, got a lot of WHEA Errors with Processor core.

I tried running a locked overclock on all cores at around 4.3 ghz and the system has been crash free for almost 3 days.

My crashes also occured during low load before this change, never during gaming or benchmarking.

Aorus Elite WiFi x570 with BIOS F31o here

5950x no overclock or PBO

G.Skill 3800cl14 4x8G (B-die) down-clocked to 3600 otherwise system won't even boot with the XMP profile. ProcODT and Volts have to be set manually. Manually clocking to 1900 IF / 3800 RAM does work but heaps of instability.

At 3600 I get around 30 WHEA errors an hour at normal use, no considerable change when running benchmarks.

Seems a lot of x570 boards are having this issue.

I have similar issues with 5900X and Asus Strix X570-F.

Just turn off Core performance boost and it works well, with a performance hit.

I think LTT needs to make a video about this for awareness. It's a widespread issue!

Well, I'm running a brand new 5800X on the system in my signature... No errors of any kind to speak of. AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.1.0.0 Patch C. Didn't have any issues whatsoever getting my RAM to work at XMP. I had way more issues with my 3600.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, msk73 said:

I was lucky to get 5950x on the launch day and put in into my MSI B550 Tomahawk. The CPU is as good as described by reviewers but I think the Zen2 story returned.

I get a lot of WHEA (Bus/Interconnection) errors. No problem with stability but errors perstist with new BIOS, fresh Windows and latest drivers. There was no such problem  on the same system with my previous CPU (3900x).

I asked my friends and it is not only my problem. Same story on MSI X570 with 5900x and Asus TUF X570 with 5950X. At the moment only Aorus boards (both X570and B550) are free from WHEAs, as reported by users I know.

How do you think? Will be BIOSes or AGESA updated soon?

I'll just leave this message I sent AMD here....

To fix this problem I punched in the following settings manually into PBO:

(Main Thing) Set the EDC Current Limit to 200A
(Just in case) Set the power limit to 130W
(Just in case) Set the temperature limit to 83C
(Just in case) Set idle voltage to "Typical"
(Just in case) Set Global C-States control to "Disable"
(Just in case) Set ECO Mode to "Off"

After punching in these settings in the BIOS I was able to turn "Core Performance Boost" back on. I still have a small performance hit from the adjusted power settings but it is not anywhere near as huge as the first method of just turning Core Performance Boost off. It seems that the BIOS on mine and many other people's boards does not know that Ryzen 5000 CPUs have larger peak currents then the previous generations. This trips a sort of "digital fuse" that is set to low. So when changing clocks the CPU tries to draw more current and it hits the EDC current limit and the CPU malfunctions producing the reboots and the WHEA errors.

I found this info on reddit, I take no credit for these findings. I however am running a 5950x on a Gigabyte X570 Auros Master. I get WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and random reboots. So this info may or may not work for you.

lowered by IF clock to 1766 and no WHEA so far, also adjusted memspeed accordingly