Ryzen 5000 WHEA errors

msk73
21 hours ago, Hagnferd said:

lowered by IF clock to 1766 and no WHEA so far, also adjusted memspeed accordingly

What does it mean to lower the IF clock? 

I get occasional system crashes. It's funny, I can play games for hours and no issues. Then i do something mundane in Windows and system shits itself. lol

On 11/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, msk73 said:

And as I said - I asked 5 users I know. MSI, Asus have WHEAs, Gigabyte does not. Not numerous but it is a sample. 

Gigabyte boards also suffer from this issue. i have the issue with a B550 ELITE

On 12/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, Takuun said:

What does it mean to lower the IF clock? 

infinity fabric clock

So far I managed to find few workarounds, but didnt tried them all.

These are:

1)Setting EDC limit to 200A, Power Limit to 130W, Temp to 83C, Idle voltage to Typical, Disable Global C-States

2)Turning off PBO and CBP - but you will loose lot of power

3)Increasing DRAM Voltage by 0,05V - which is tip from MSI

4)Setting max.CPU freq to 4400 MHz (for 5800X) at 1.35V

These point seems to resolve WHEA errors for some people.

Im currently trying point 1.

I have to say, I go from stable configuration with R5 3600. I upgraded to R9 5900X. I have MSI B450 Carbon Pro AC and have Bios with Agesa 1.1.0.0 PatchD.

I tried running on stock RAM freq (2133), turning off second CCD on CPU and many more things without success. My only hope are now (Im not counting putting 3600 back 🙂 ) these points and waiting for final BIOS.

Just swapped my Aorus elite x570 for the master, no more errors, ram at 3600 CL14 with IF at 1800. Seems the 5950x and the RAM are not a good match for the elite. Can't get IF up to 1900 though. RAM does boot at 3800, but performance is a little bit lower due to misalignment of the IF (infinity fabric clock). BIOS is F31q

Anyone tried the new Asus x570 BIOS with AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0 ? Has that fixed the problems? 

I am running 4000 MHz and 2000 MHz IF (5800X) and get WHEA errors when gaming, doesn't cause any issues (well not that I can notice). 

image.png.39a5cd9d1c2833d85e04b2e116fa5a30.png

• 2 months later...

Just tried BIOS Version 3002 for the Asus Prime B450-PLUS, it does not resolve the issue. Time to dig around this poorly mapped out BIOS menu to undervolt again, otherwise has anyone found mobo's which tend to behave better with a 5800x and I'll religate this old board to the spares pile.

• 2 weeks later...

I had these same issues with my 5900x cpu with an MSI B550 Tomahawk. For me, the whea errors caused lock-ups and crashes or blue screens. I've ended up RMA-ing the thing yesterday, it's still being processed. I hope the next one will be okay.

In the meantime I've bought a 3600 as a stand in, fixed the problem completely.

However, before sending back the 5900x I could get about 3 days without crashes (previously it crashed 1-2 times daily, mostly during web browsing) without losing performance.

I did 2 things:

• set the FCLOCK manually to 1800mhz (ram is 3600mhz)
  • disabled global c-states

I may also have had the memory voltage increased by 0.005 volts. (I'm not sure if this setting was enabled, I set this before disabling global c-states, but I think the bios got reset after that. In any case if the above two settings don't work, maybe try this as well.)

I hope this helps somewhat, for me it was running okay, but eventually I had to remove the cpu and package it for sending. So maybe these settings aren't stable, but I thought it may help some of you.

Also AMD offered no comments on the matter during the RMA process. They've just asked me what the problem was, what I tried to fix it, then approved the RMA.

That's so brutal man. I feel for you. What a disappointment.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14