Would you build a pc now or would you wait for ddr5 cpus, mobos and ram?

Would you build now or wait for ddr5 tech?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

Depends on whether I'd need a new PC now or in ~2 years.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

DDR5 is still a pretty long way off. If I was planning a PC right now, I'd wait a few months for for Ryzen Zen 3 and Big Navi, but not for DDR5. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

7 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Would you build now or wait for ddr5 tech?

There has been literally zero indication that DDR5 CPUs and mobos are coming anytime soon.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

some ltt thread in the near future: "would you build a pc on ddr5 now or wait for ddr6?"

you gotta build sometime, but every day you wait, pc parts get more advanced. if you want/need a pc now, get one now, and if you can wait then wait. i'm going for the "always upgrading" path by buying the best bang for the buck that i can find so that i can upgrade every generation or two at little cost to myself. each new revision of ddrX is really expensive upon release, itll probably be a few months to a year before prices on ddr5 and such are reasonable. still a long ways out though lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

There has been literally zero indication that DDR5 CPUs and mobos are coming anytime soon.

well it is confirmed for intel's 12th gen which is expected q3 2021

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

its pretty much comfirmed that zen 4?ryzen... 6000? will have ddr5 support.\, as well as am4+/am5, depending on what they call it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

its pretty much comfirmed that zen 4?ryzen... 6000? will have ddr5 support.\, as well as am4+/am5, depending on what they call it.

That doesn't change what I said, Ryzen 6000 or whatever won't be coming anytime soon.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Neither myself, though it could conceivably happen.  The standing rule is keep your system until it no longer can do what you need it to do. The issue is there will always be something better just around the corner.  If you wait till ddr5 there is the temptation to wait for better ddr5, etc..  I do think there is going to be a sea change when ray tracing gets sufficiently advanced that shaders no longer need to be used.  I think it may change video games to a similar degree that premixed tube paint changed painting.  Determining when that will be though is difficult.  My current suspicion is 5 years but may happen sooner. 

My current plan is to upgrade no sooner than the current crop of new consoles is released.  I think it may be possible to build a PC that can do everything they do out of the gate in which case it will play games as long as those consoles are current. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If your current computer is no longer performing as well as you need it to, you should wait for Zen 3 and new AMD cards, and then upgrade.

If your computer works fine now and you don't really have a pressing need to upgrade, you may as well wait a couple years for DDR5. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Im next planning to build in 2025 unless my current PC breaks.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

The world's first DDR5 DRAM chip was officially launched by SK Hynix on October 6th, 2020

We'll probably see DDR5 on desktop within the next year or two.