Why is my ping so inconsistent

my house has a 200MG per second connection and ods are most people in my house with zoom calls and things are not going over that much internet connection.

Problem: i can't play video games... my ping no matter the IP, website, game i am playing is HORRIBLE, i will get 16ms and 30ms responses when ping testing my connection on my command prompt (btw i have a wired connection, TP-link is the thing i use) my ping would be 16-30ms for like 5 sec then... 1200 and be there for a sec or two then down to 200-500 for a bit then back down to 16-30, keep in mind this is consistent for whichever site or game server i ping (google LTT website, siege servers...).

why is this happening and how do i fix it.

i attached a SS of what this looks like, 

Screenshot (12).png

Ok lets start with the basics, how many ppl and what is the modem/router/wifi-AP that you use?

Cus if there are to many connections and the router/modem is not fast enough you will have to wait on one another. Thus being a router/modem issue.

Also it can be another device has some software that uses either lots of bandwidht or opens/closes lots of connections so the router/modem will be busy.
etc.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Welcome to wifi and why you shouldn't be gaming on it. This is normal with wifi and gets worse the farther away from the router you are and the more objects the signal has to pass through. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Welcome to wifi and why you shouldn't be gaming on it. This is normal with wifi and gets worse the farther away from the router you are and the more objects the signal has to pass through. 

5 minutes ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

(btw i have a wired connection, TP-link is the thing i use)

I realize this isnt the easiest piece of text to read, but it certainly was in there...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

7 minutes ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

TP-link is the thing i use

Which is?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

people whos a this is normal for wifi tend to have had bad experiences. Comcast atleat for me has been having this issue since March. I used to have 20% packet loss (yeah that bad) now its much better but i still get some packet loss and a lot of spikes. I suggest trying it again wired as it could be wifi if it still occurs your best bet is to call your isp.

5 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

people whos a this is normal for wifi tend to have had bad experiences. Comcast atleat for me has been having this issue since March. I used to have 20% packet loss (yeah that bad) now its much better but i still get some packet loss and a lot of spikes. I suggest trying it again wired as it could be wifi if it still occurs your best bet is to call your isp.

He already said he is wired. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

@horribleWIFIconnextion

Ok I realize this isn't always an easy task to provide the necessary information on a forum, but as you can see... People are just guessing... And mostly what your connection even is and not the original issue you're having... 

You need to tell us 

isp (optional) 

What kind of connection, DSL, fiber, phone, satellite...? 

Data plan 

Speed test result from speedtest. com 

Router (exact model) 

Way how you connect to the router, power line, wifi, ethernet cable... 

This looks to me like some physical issue with cables or the access point of your isp to your house, or maybe some other routing issues outside of your influence, however without detailed info this is also just guesswork... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

He already said he is wired. 

I've seen people say they're wired when they just plugged into their 'wifi' router...  Or powerline (I mean that *is* wired but still...) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

27 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I've seen people say they're wired when they just plugged into their 'wifi' router...  Or powerline (I mean that *is* wired but still...) 

And the username is HorribleWIFIconnection so pretty easy for people to miss the hardwire claim in the op.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@horribleWIFIconnextion

You’ve got a lot of information to clarify, so please do so when you have the time.

At the end of the day, it seems like your router cannot keep up with the household’s needs. Upgrading your router to something that can handle more concurrent client connections might be the best initial solution to provide the most improvement. The second thing to have the most effect would be to wire in as many devices as possible and, by this, I mean ethernet from PC straight to router/switch; NOT through a powerline adapter or over a wireless bridge with a WiFi repeater. Ethernet will always be more reliable than wireless... for all connected clients!

If you still need wireless access, a wireless access point can always be plugged into the router/switch. You can use an existing wireless router (provided it can function in AP mode) or get a proper AP with at least 2x2 MIMO or above. This separation of functions helps with network performance especially in dense environments with many simultaneous active connections. And the more antennae on the device, then the less likely these simultaneous connections will cause slowdowns for individual users.

With all that being said, if you have an internet gateway from your ISP (combo modem/router/AP), then setup is going to need to be modified; at least to get the gateway to run in bridge mode

On 10/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, Lachlancraw40 said:

It’s probably an Ethernet over powerline 

yeah that's exactly what it is, i had no idea how to word it my bad :)

On 10/21/2020 at 1:28 PM, Ohsnaps said:

yeah i use comcast too its horrible :/

2 minutes ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

yeah i use comcast too its horrible :/

I dont have any issues with my Comcast connection. Been rock solid for most of a decade now. Even has gotten faster over time. 

4 minutes ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

eah that's exactly what it is, i had no idea how to word it my bad :)

Power line adapters are very dependent on the quality of your homes wiring. Some times high draw devices can cause interference.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

aight here we go: all my specs are here 

isp (optional) ... sorry guys im not sure what this is

What kind of connection, DSL, fiber, phone, satellite...? Fiber 

Data plan: 200 mb/s

59mb/s upload

23mb/s download

ping: 12 (a lot better than when i posted this)

Router (exact model) 

ok so i have the black box thing comcast installed that has the cable coming straight from the wall for the connection, and i have my ROG RAPTURE AC

power line

i was fiddling with the router a little bit after posting originally, i factory reset it and reset all my 5hs and 2.5hz channels it did improve things but my connection is still much slower than the one of my neighbor

1 minute ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

isp

That would be the people you get internet from. 

2 minutes ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

Fiber

Sorry to burst your bubble. But unless your paying $299 a month, its highly doubtful you have Fiber from Comcast. Residential service is generally Docsis Cable Internet (Fiber to the NODE). Outside of the Gigabit PRO plan, Comcast doesn't provide a full Fiber connection. In some select areas they use RFoG, but that only in a few areas. 

4 minutes ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

Data plan: 200 mb/s

59mb/s upload

23mb/s download

ping: 12 (a lot better than when i posted this)

Oh Boy. Yeah no where even close to what your paying for. But if your using power line adapters thats to be expected. 

5 minutes ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

ok so i have the black box thing comcast installed that has the cable coming straight from the wall for the connection,

Flip it over and find the model number. Comcast has a few internet Gateways they issue. I myself dont use Comcast supplied equipment because Im not paying $11-$25 a month for there crappy box. Is the Comcast box in bridge mode? 

For the record my family has been Comcast subs for probably 20 years. So I know the in and outs of there service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

56 minutes ago, horribleWIFIconnextion said:

power line

Oh! Ouch!

That explains a lot. There's one of your problems.