How can we have a mobile hotspot to always allow a device to connect to it despite changing password.

I was hoping i'd get a popup menu for a conected device to always allow it. so that the device can connect to the hotspot regardless of password change in the future.

if there is any third party app that has this functionality please let me know

my device:

1.Redmi note 8 (device used to create hotspot),android 9.0

2.Windows 10 laptop (that's connected to the mobile hotspot)

[version 2004,Os build 19041.508]

I want my windows machine to always connect to the mobile hotspot even if i change password.

10 minutes ago, Rif1440 said:

I want my windows machine to always connect to the mobile hotspot even if i change password.

Not possible without changing the password on both sides. That's the whole purpose of the password: Deny access without a matching password.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

It's hardly any software that can do so. 

If there's any, it would be just a lot easier way for people to use the wifi, making any kind of password encryption useless because it's basically a security breach. 

I have no idea but your idea is kind of ridiculous for me. 

If you're paranoid of people snooping your wi-fi, you can always use random password generator and block anyone who might using the wifi. MIUI can limit how much connection + blocklist for that. 

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

8 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

I have no idea but your idea is kind of ridiculous for me. 

As i'am the owner of the hotspot i can possibly revoke access to any device that i don't want to be connected by a blocklist

Think of it like a exemption list...A list of devices exempted to not require a password...so that i don't have to configure passwords on all my own devices which i want to be connected all the time.

even if it is a friend who i have in exempted list i can revoke it any point in time as i'am who created the hotspot

1 minute ago, Rif1440 said:

As i'am the owner of the hotspot i can possibly revoke access to any device that i don't want to be connected by a blocklist

Think of it like a exemption list...A list of devices exempted to not require a password

even if it is a friend who i have in exempted list i can revoke it any point in time as i'am who created the hotspot

About the only way to "uniquely" identify a machine on the network without needing a password would be its MAC address. A MAC address is easy to spoof, so as @dhannemon13 said, that would be a security breach. That's also how these blocklists work: They deny access to devices based on MAC addresses. They are a pain to maintain and offer virtually zero additional security.

If you don't want passwords, the best option would be a RADIUS server with certificate based authentication. That is the most secure option, but also requires a lot more work to set up than a simple password.

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If you don't want passwords, the best option would be a RADIUS server with certificate based authentication. That is the most secure option, but also requires a lot more work to set up than a simple password

I don't think any Android-device supports setting up a WPA2 Enterprise Access-Point in the first place. At least all the ones I know of only support setting up WPA2 PSK.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

16 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

About the only way to "uniquely" identify a machine on the network without needing a password would be its MAC address. A MAC address is easy to spoof, so as @dhannemon13 said, that would be a security breach. That's also how these blocklists work: They deny access to devices based on MAC addresses. They are a pain to maintain and offer virtually zero additional security.

If you don't want passwords, the best option would be a RADIUS server with certificate based authentication. That is the most secure option, but also requires a lot more work to set up than a simple password.

This.

This is just how WiFi standard is. Even enterprise level devices can't do what you are asking for. The password changing is there that even if someone finds out the password, you can change it and only share it with the people/devices that you allow connecting.

Enterprise WiFi generally uses RADIUS, which uses certificate authentication and/or a different username/password for every user, instead of a single password for everyone. Most mobile hotspots don't support those as you'd need a server to host the RADIUS server (potentially with a database).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

I don't think any Android-device supports setting up a WPA2 Enterprise Access-Point in the first place. At least all the ones I know of only support setting up WPA2 PSK.

3 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

RADIUS uses certificates and/or a different username/password for every user, instead of a single password for everyone, but most mobile hotspots don't support those as you'd need a server to host the RADIUS server (potentially with a database).

Right, it's not really an option with a hotspot, I forgot to mention that. It's most likely overkill for home Wi-Fi use in any case, since you need something (like an LDAP) in the background to maintain a list of users and certificates.

Today I discovered my samsung phone can do this by signing all devices into a samsung account. It requires every device be a samsung. I don't know how they do it.

Just now, foldingNoob said:

Today I discovered my samsung phone can do this by signing all devices into a samsung account. It requires every device be a samsung. I don't know how they do it.

Could you post screenshots of it seperating a device screenshots by posts

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

like an LDAP

it's a lot bigger than i thought😑

I was conviced with myself that i'm just missing some little thing to get it done.

Just now, Rif1440 said:

Could you post screenshots of it seperating a device screenshots by posts

well i only have one samsung device so i cant connect it to anything but here is a screenshot of the settings menu. I don't have a samsung account BTW I never had a need for the services.

image.png.3da72345601e0aa44bb2b14f81883d73.png

1 minute ago, foldingNoob said:

well i only have one samsung device so i cant connect it to anything but here is a screenshot of the settings menu. I don't have a samsung account BTW I never had a need for the services.

image.png.3da72345601e0aa44bb2b14f81883d73.png

What is your driver and it's android version?

4 minutes ago, Rif1440 said:

it's a lot bigger than i thought😑

I was conviced with myself that i'm just missing some little thing to get it done.

Well, we on MIUI (and we use the exactly same phone btw) have those features either to just use another phone's wi-fi list, but only across MIUI devices that linked by Mi Account.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

6 minutes ago, foldingNoob said:

Pretty sure your device needs to be connected to the Internet (via mobile) to be able to receive the password, so that it can then sign in to the Wi-Fi. Meaning Samsung will share your password over the internet so that the other devices can access it.

3 minutes ago, Rif1440 said:

What is your driver and it's android version?

its a samsung xcover 4s. Android version 10. I have no idea how to get the driver version but kernel version is 4.4.177

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Pretty sure your device needs to be connected to the Internet (via mobile) to be able to receive the password, so that it can then sign in to the Wi-Fi. Meaning Samsung will share your password over the internet so that the other devices can access it.

yea that makes sense. I bet some clever bastard has already exploited it.

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yep, this is basically how it works. 

Apps like Wi-fi Master, either. But I consider it's actually... Illegal to use, because such information are sometimes dangerous for wi-fi providers, especially private ones.

You wouldn't like someone in your family got such app, for exampe, then just share the password ALL across the world so others can use it.

I actually saw a video people using such app for connecting to a internal, school network on my country. And man, it's can be really possibly be dangerous af if someone pulling data on it. 

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

3 minutes ago, foldingNoob said:

I have no idea how to get the driver version

I was just referring your phone as driver...daily driver

4 minutes ago, foldingNoob said:

yea that makes sense. I bet some clever bastard has already exploited it.

Well, someone did, like, years ago. Freaking ads for this app are basically everywhere on that time.

image.png.65db6d8e86735c4b29004897fcacbcd3.png

I'd be honest if that's actually pretty good feature ONLY IF you're using your own personal account between devices.

I did migrate from Xiaomi Redmi 5A to Redmi Note 8 and when I did connect my Mi Account, basically all wi-fi I ever connected on previous device, just connected seamlessly without I ever re-ask the cashier for the password lol

Of course it WON'T work on wi-fi that uses other means of authentication, like captive portal. But it works if you'd save the password of the place using Chrome, anyway.

Pardon me as a free wi-fi hunter boi.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

6 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Pardon me as a free wi-fi hunter boi.

we'yall have been there lol